That's Annoying - WSM Rimfire

Does anyone happen to know how/where you contact Winchester regarding ammunition? I haven't touched my rifle for over a year so was having a look to update any changes. I now see that there's 3 different ammo options for this calibre  from winchester. How many are available in the UK? Everybody and their granny told us what a superb calibre this was and eventually it arrived on our shores. Unfortunately, the available ammo for it is Hobson's and in my rifle it is non too clever. Apart from consistency in performance, I have bought 600 rounds, fired 350 and have 50 put to one side as they are so hard to chamber that if they were my homeloads I'd have rejected them. I fancy we've been stitched up having been encouraged to buy the Offering from Savage but severely let down with regards to ammunition. Just sharpening me stick - just need to know where I have to poke it.

Well I have a 17 Remington and a 17HMR and they both shoot far far better than I am capable of. The 17 Rem comes out when I need that little extra distance, 150 upwards, although the HMR will shoot tight groups out at 150, the 17 Rem just has that bit more knock down power.  So never had a yen to try that Winchester stuff.  I've shot the 17 Rem since the mid 1980s and when I had it at shows back then folks did not have a clue what it was. It killed over 300 foxes for me in the first year.  My present one is a barrel on my T/C Encore, my first was a custom made Martini actioned single shot/Douglas barreled.  From many comments regarding HMR ammo I think I have been very lucky as I have had no problems whatsoever and I have been through a few.

15 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Did you not try the Remingtons?

I had the HMR nearly 20 years ago,It was a Ruger 77/17 all weather, changed the trigger and floated the barrel. I tried all the ammo available and settled with Federal, we were hitting drawing pins at 100 yds holding the targets on the board, so extremely accurate for a rimfire. I bought my max of 1k and was very happy, shots on rabbits were very often over 150 yards without any worry, obviously weather allowing. Stuck with the Fed ammo for as long as i could get it. Then i couldn't get the Fed ammo for love or money tried Remington Hornady and CCI, none matched the Fed, i was starting to loose confidence. Sold it 5 years ago and put a 1 for 1 in and got a 17 Rem, a few issues with that but i can fix that, its a loading issue with that. 

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

I had the HMR nearly 20 years ago,It was a Ruger 77/17 all weather, changed the trigger and floated the barrel. I tried all the ammo available and settled with Federal, we were hitting drawing pins at 100 yds holding the targets on the board, so extremely accurate for a rimfire. I bought my max of 1k and was very happy, shots on rabbits were very often over 150 yards without any worry, obviously weather allowing. Stuck with the Fed ammo for as long as i could get it. Then i couldn't get the Fed ammo for love or money tried Remington Hornady and CCI, none matched the Fed, i was starting to loose confidence. Sold it 5 years ago and put a 1 for 1 in and got a 17 Rem, a few issues with that but i can fix that, its a loading issue with that. 

Daft isn't it? My oppo and I have had the same LR and HMR. Respectively for him it was Eley and me SK and for him Hornady and me Remington.

"but will update the WSM thread on this sub-forum when I get a reply about the poor stock of Winchester ammo in the UK."

No answer from Belgium so will chase next week.

However, it transpires that I may well not be the one to listen to about this calibre on the grounds that I could have been somewhat more incapacitated than I thought.

Because of the stock and standing crops I'm going to have to wait a bit before I can get to a decent range/back stop, but having just been playing with an idea I wanted to try it out and had to settle for just 55 yards. My idea was a shooting/plinking bench which I wanted to test and as there was some gusty wind, accuracy was a secondary consideration. First of all, I thought I'd try the 50 rounds with which I had trouble getting  into the chamber. What problem - except for two? The rifle is cocked on closing the bolt and I have noticed that there is a tendency to rotated the bolt clockwise when it's travelling which puts the lugs out of alignment. A very slight conscious effort to ease it in the opposite direction cures this and it soon became second nature. However, this was separate from the problem with finally closing the bolt which now seems to have disappeared. I am now content with this aspect.

I was using the Shoot N See targets and to my amazement - compared to previously - I could put a 5 round group not quite under the 3/4" repair patch - one round just showing yellow. Not every group - I shot 12 - was this good as the wind and me occasionally combined to make a hash of it. This was a dramatic improvement as, yes, OK, we're only talking 55 yards, but there was none of the out and out flyers - just a poor group. I'll just have to wait for the harvest or the stock being moved somewhere else to get a better idea.

Well pleased with the bench, though.

Have you considered using a 4WD as a very portable and fully supported back rest bench?

I'm fairly incapacitated regards shooting due to emphysema, I can walk short distances fine but struggle to breath calmly for the shot if I'm carrying a few pounds of rifle and night shooting rig.

I now use a magnetic wireless thermal spotter on the car roof with a 7" monitor in the car - and rest the fore stock of the rifle on the door mirror bracket with my right arm hanging over the window ledge. The entire body is fully relaxed and supported having the back rest and seat position etc just right.

The extra large sunroof of my X-trail also allows me to park up and shoot off a bipod from the roof facing rearwards, or a buddy can be behind me facing forwards as I drive. The real quiet petrol automatic is the icing on the cake as I can usually get within 50 yards or so of bunnies if needed. If its rarely shot you can just light em up with the car headlights.

Edited by Dave-G

15 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Have you considered using a 4WD as a very portable and fully supported back rest bench?

I'm fairly incapacitated regards shooting due to emphysema, I can walk short distances fine but struggle to breath calmly for the shot if I'm carrying a few pounds of rifle and night shooting rig.

I now use a magnetic wireless thermal spotter on the car roof with a 7" monitor in the car - and rest the fore stock of the rifle on the door mirror bracket with my right arm hanging over the window ledge. The entire body is fully relaxed and supported having the back rest and seat position etc just right.

The extra large sunroof of my X-trail also allows me to park up and shoot off a bipod from the roof facing rearwards, or a buddy can be behind me facing forwards as I drive. The real quiet petrol automatic is the icing on the cake as I can usually get within 50 yards or so of bunnies if needed. If its rarely shot you can just light em up with the car headlights.

Yep, know how you feel - well, I'm learning to. With the arthritis the pain in my wrists is bad and I have rheumatoid associated interstitial lung disease.

Been there, as they say, and done that. My X Trail had the roof mounted driving lights which were handy on occasion. My mistake was buying the diesel version. I got shot as the DPF was annoying and have now got a Yeti. Because of the shorter door window length, it's not too comfortable  to go mobile. With a lack of rabbit this is no problem and having shot over the same ground for 30+ years I now know where to lay up for fox. Not perfect but hey ho when needs or pain must and there's always tomorrow.

17 Hornet is the way forward. 500+ Ft/Lb. ammo ready available and easy (and dead cheap) to reload. 

I’d try and sell the gun with the ammo you have (or can get). The chances of ammo import are very slim. 

Edited by markm

42 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, know how you feel - well, I'm learning to. With the arthritis the pain in my wrists is bad and I have rheumatoid associated interstitial lung disease.

Been there, as they say, and done that. My X Trail had the roof mounted driving lights which were handy on occasion. My mistake was buying the diesel version. I got shot as the DPF was annoying and have now got a Yeti. Because of the shorter door window length, it's not too comfortable  to go mobile. With a lack of rabbit this is no problem and having shot over the same ground for 30+ years I now know where to lay up for fox. Not perfect but hey ho when needs or pain must and there's always tomorrow.

Off subject just a tad but HEH!!  we are still here putting lead in the air and I find that far better than the alternative.  It's a lot harder trying to shoot out of a wooden box.

41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Off subject just a tad but HEH!!  we are still here putting lead in the air and I find that far better than the alternative.  It's a lot harder trying to shoot out of a wooden box.

:good:Too true. I'm not ready to give in yet with either the shooting or this WSM.

1 hour ago, markm said:

17 Hornet is the way forward. 500+ Ft/Lb. ammo ready available and easy (and dead cheap) to reload. 

I’d try and sell the gun with the ammo you have (or can get). The chances of ammo import are very slim. 

What's wrong with a 22 Hornet at 852 ft/lbs?

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Honda CR-V also has a short door making life difficult to rest a rifle on the door mirror and reach the scope objective while on target. X-trail door is 5" longer.  Pinin and Pajero SWB has a good door length too.

On 01/08/2020 at 13:20, markm said:

It looks as though you're right for anything other than Hornady (Browning or Winchester) and Browning have set their standard for customer relations. Having waited a week for a response and then a second week for a response to my reminder, nothing.

15 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It looks as though you're right for anything other than Hornady (Browning or Winchester) and Browning have set their standard for customer relations. Having waited a week for a response and then a second week for a response to my reminder, nothing.

Wymberly are you copying in the States? I would on the 2nd reminder as they might forward to an individual. There has been a huge increase in spam the last few days - it could be they have set their spam filter to be too aggressive - good luck.

Of course it's not popular - it won't be if you can't get any ammunition for it:-

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest for the Winchester products.

The 17WSM is a quite popular caliber in the USA but not so popular in Europe. Unfortunately, we can not cover all calibers and all bullet weight. That is why the 17WSM is not available in the European Winchester range.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Winchester Europe team