Watch advice needed ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I have decided to treat myself to a new watch. It will either be a Tag Heuer Aquaracer calibre 5 or a Longines Hydroconquest.

Not interested in anything else as it just gets confusing. So any thoughts on those two ?. Just want it for everyday use.

Thanks all. 

27 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I have decided to treat myself to a new watch. It will either be a Tag Heuer Aquaracer calibre 5 or a Longines Hydroconquest.

Not interested in anything else as it just gets confusing. So any thoughts on those two ?. Just want it for everyday use.

Thanks all. 

You are about to spend an awful lot of money. Only you can decide which style you like best , but if the advice you seek is on movements why not join the "Watch u seek" forum and ask the experts.

I have had a longings watch for well over 15 years now and only ever had to change the batteries and is worn 24/7

seems to keep the time spot on

i can’t tell you model though but did buy the wife the same brand over 10 years ago and it has been spot on as well

image.jpg

They both have the same basic movement based on the eta 2824, which is the workhorse of the mid range watch world, reliable and easy to service. I'm not a fan of either of these watches based on looks, but of the 2 I would go for the Longines as I personally think they are a better maker than Tag, who I think are overrated and overpriced. 

I owned a red bezel, red face hydroconquest, automatic,  for a number of years.

Pros

1. Very accurate +4 secs per month

2. Very robust (dropped mine out of a tool box on the top of a C130 fin) small dent in the case.

3. Used it in all weathers, diving, pressurised environment, oil grease etc, no problem.

3. Looked the business, very close to a submariner.

4. Slipped off a ladder and caught my fall on the bracelet, which hung me up and didn’t break, tough as nails.

Cons

1. The chrome plating looks blingy .

2. It’s heavy and bulky.

3. The crown digs into your wrist due to its weight.

4. The bracelet is a nightmare to remove and clean.

Traded mine to buy a sub, which is what I always wanted, but I won’t wear that to work. For the money if you shop around, they represent good value IMO.

Hope that helps👍

Everyday use? In truth unless it's an itch you must scratch get a cheap watch. I use everyday a "Limit" brand watch with a black face, white hands simple white bars at the hours, no date, and a red sweep hand. I used to wear my late father's gold Rolex he bought in 1936 but it cracked the crystal (so that had to be replaced) then the second hand had to be replaced and to match that an hour and minute hand had to be re-blued. Eventually I sold it as I never wanted to rsik it being broken or damaged beyond repair. Nice watches are nice. Really nice. But in truth you'll lose 20% as soon as you walk out the store on the VAT and I need never fear if I break or lose what I wear now now have to "fight" for it with any street robber. Oh and it tells the time flawlessly. Which really is what I wear it for.