Goose loads for non high performance steel guns

KillStone

As per title I am looking for a decent goose load to be used on Canadas and greys on inland reservoirs/gravel pit but I shoot a non fleur de lys beretta 686 so from my research I would be ok with standard steel loads but not high performance steel. Could anyone in the know point me in the direction of any decent loads that will still allow decent range etc as I currently have no idea on what I can or cannot use and what steel loads id need to do the job.

Thanks

If your Beretta is post 1990, I would not worry about HP steel, in order to get the Fleur the 686 gun with the Fleur was submitted for an extra test, but is otherwise identical to the one you have.
Any of the 3 inch loads would be fine in No1 steel assuming you have 3 inch chambers

Edited by Stonepark

20 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

If your Beretta is post 1990, I would not worry about HP steel, in order to get the Fleur the 686 gun with the Fleur was submitted for an extra test, but is otherwise identical to the one you have.
Any of the 3 inch loads would be fine in No1 steel.

oh brilliant that's a lot easier (and a hell of a lot cheaper - £55 for 25 bismuth!!!!) my gun is old but pretty sure and ill check that its newer than 1990 then. thanks very much

On 28/07/2020 at 18:35, Stonepark said:

Any of the 3 inch loads would be fine in No1 steel assuming you have 3 inch chambers

That’s reassuring, I have a 3” chambered 687 SP but without the Fleur. 

On 31/07/2020 at 08:51, TIDES EDGE said:

I think you will find that your 686 is not 3" chamber so stick to Gamebore wetland 2 3/4"   in shot size 3  will stop any goose at sensible range.

Why is it not? My 687 SP is definitely a 3” chamber. Why would his not be? Just curious 🤔

On 01/08/2020 at 23:53, Lloyd90 said:

That’s reassuring, I have a 3” chambered 687 SP but without the Fleur. 

Why is it not? My 687 SP is definitely a 3” chamber. Why would his not be? Just curious 🤔

it depends on the age of the gun the older ones were not 3"  my new silver pigeon is.

Inland reservoirs? I'd guess these geese are no more than twenty yards distant from you if you position yourself right? If so use standard English #6, or better, English #7 and shoot for the head. BUT BEAR IN MIND THAT IN ENGLAND LEAD SHOT MAY NOT BE USED ON GEESE IN ENGLAND REGARDLESS OF WHERE THEY ARE FOUND.

Edited by enfieldspares