Condrum on the farm, what do PW members think, a field of wheat in 2 halves??

Probably half didn't establish due to the wet conditions, and so was re-drilled in the Spring. I've seen some where they have put in barley, in areas of poor establishment.

Oh sorry - did you say all drilled same day. Hmm.. are you sure? Shouldn't be that big a gap.

17 minutes ago, Teal said:

Probably half didn't establish due to the wet conditions, and so was re-drilled in the Spring. I've seen some where they have put in barley, in areas of poor establishment.

Oh sorry - did you say all drilled same day. Hmm.. are you sure? Shouldn't be that big a gap.

Hello, yes. all 3 fields drilled on the same day, 

35 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have seen the same today. I can only assume that different varieties were used.

Hello, never thought of that Jd I will ask next time on farm but I am sure all 3 fields were planted with the same variety of wheat, never seen this before in all the years I have been on my friends farm

After the wet weather could be some land lost more nutrition than another due to drainage,  also some land may be light some heavy , land does loose its texture after a good wrather pounding and the continuous working to establish a seed bed.  The tractors are now that big they will  make a seedbed if its ready or not.

On one of my permissions I was talking to the farmers son who told me that one large field of wheat had started to green up, he said that he did not know why this was happening and now did not know when to harvest it. Its the first time that this has happened on this farm and seems strange as all the seed was bought at the same time from the same sauce, and all the other fields are unaffected. The 2 fields that were drilled first are now harvested, 3 will be done this week and the green one god knows? 

On 30/07/2020 at 07:31, dead eye alan said:

On one of my permissions I was talking to the farmers son who told me that one large field of wheat had started to green up, he said that he did not know why this was happening and now did not know when to harvest it. Its the first time that this has happened on this farm and seems strange as all the seed was bought at the same time from the same sauce, and all the other fields are unaffected. The 2 fields that were drilled first are now harvested, 3 will be done this week and the green one god knows? 

Hello, thank you Alan, I can see my friends farm cutting at 2 different times on each field, 

On 01/08/2020 at 12:15, Shotguneddy said:

Most wheat done yesterday round here 

Hello, yes seems farmers in the Vale are busy now we have good weather, pigeons are a bit scarce, plenty of blackies

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thank you Alan, I can see my friends farm cutting at 2 different times on each field, 

Hello, yes seems farmers in the Vale are busy now we have good weather, pigeons are a bit scarce, plenty of blackies

Vary scare for pigeons around here only shot 12 over barley stubble this harvest and most of not all the blacks are on the local pig unit everyday in there thousands where no one seems to be bothered by them 

4 hours ago, Shotguneddy said:

Vary scare for pigeons around here only shot 12 over barley stubble this harvest and most of not all the blacks are on the local pig unit everyday in there thousands where no one seems to be bothered by them 

Hello, yes I passed by pig unit farm the other day and loads of blackies, have you tried to contact farmer ?

21 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes I passed by pig unit farm the other day and loads of blackies, have you tried to contact farmer ?

I just managed to ask him as I was almost thrown out out the gate he said he has already shooters. I’ve heard them shoot once or twice this year once at the pig unit and the other time over cover crop I’ve always found it very hard to get shooting around this area after the farmers we used to shoot for went bust

3 hours ago, Shotguneddy said:

I just managed to ask him as I was almost thrown out out the gate he said he has already shooters. I’ve heard them shoot once or twice this year once at the pig unit and the other time over cover crop I’ve always found it very hard to get shooting around this area after the farmers we used to shoot for went bust

Hello, oh well keep trying, I know farmers can get fed up with people asking, maybe there will be some local shoots wanting beaters this season, good luck

On 28/07/2020 at 19:24, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, so as above 3 fields of growing wheat have us puzzled, each field is half ready to cut in mid August the other half is still green, all fields sown on same day, any ideas PW members 

I've just been given 2 more fields, one already harvested, the other half and half like you describe, dead straight line up the middle. Didn't ask too many questions other than my boundaries. If you find out why they're like this please post it up.

18 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I've just been given 2 more fields, one already harvested, the other half and half like you describe, dead straight line up the middle. Didn't ask too many questions other than my boundaries. If you find out why they're like this please post it up.

Hello, thanks, and there's me thinking my friends farm was the only one, I will do, cheers

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

As I said in an earlier post different varieties could produce this effect. It did in my case.

The other option is differing amounts of fertiliser.