New Mitchell reels

PeterHenry

Just wonderings if anyone has any experience of these?

I'm looking for a couple of reasonably priced fixed spool reels for occasional carp fishing on my Youngs Avon rods. I've never been a fan of Shakespeare, etc, and I was wondering if Mitchell's new reels were any good, or if they were trading on past glories instead?

Thanks

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

Just wonderings if anyone has any experience of these?

I'm looking for a couple of reasonably priced fixed spool reels for occasional carp fishing on my Youngs Avon rods. I've never been a fan of Shakespeare, etc, and I was wondering if Mitchell's new reels were any good, or if they were trading on past glories instead?

Thanks

I still use their old reels. They may be forty or more years old but I have always looked after them and they have never let me down. I also still use a couple of old Abu 505’s for float fishing. I would probably go with shimano  if I wanted anything modern. My brother gave me one a couple of years ago and it has been faultless.

Have a look at Daiwa Black Widows.  Brilliant reels for the money.  I use them with braid for big(ish) carp and winter piking, as well as tench.  The 3500 and 4000 would suit an Avon rod I expect.  The big 5000+ sizes are more suited to chucking great lumps of tackle out on 12' high test curve rods.   

I use the 3500 and 4000 Black Widow bait runners for all bottom fishing, bolt rigs work very well for carp, pike and tench (bream too if you like slimy old bin lids).  My lad uses Sonik 8000s and swears by them, they are worth a look too IMHO.  

There are a few Mitchells reels out with various prices the  Pro 300 reel has good specs and reviews and I am sure would make a good coarse reel it comes at a price, there are many good reels within that price range try and get into a good tackle shop and have a close look as fishing tackle is personal thing.

This was just on another site (Maggot Drowners)

Last August I bought a pair of Mitchell MX6 Full Runner reels. Due to circumstances, I only used them for the first time two weeks ago.
One reel performed fine, the other not so. The bail arm was very notchy to open, and also by the end of the session, the frre spool lever was not full engaing when the handle was turned.

Many reels are poorer quality now than they were (Abu, was made in Sweden, Penn Reels, was made in the USA) but prices are lower

Edited by kevin55
highlight

I have just bought a couple of Daiwa crossfire 4000 reels. they are classed as a spinning reel but I will be using them for carp fishing, not been used in anger yet, should have been today but the batteries on my truck have give up, anyway bought them from that place on 'bay £24.99, good line lay with 8 and 12lb and as smooth as my shimano areo gt baitrunner

just had a look, discount offer has finished, its the 'new' model now,  the same reel now proper price £44

Edited by itchy trigger
update

7 hours ago, itchy trigger said:

I have just bought a couple of Daiwa crossfire 4000 reels. they are classed as a spinning reel but I will be using them for carp fishing, not been used in anger yet, should have been today but the batteries on my truck have give up, anyway bought them from that place on 'bay £24.99, good line lay with 8 and 12lb and as smooth as my shimano areo gt baitrunner

just had a look, discount offer has finished, its the 'new' model now,  the same reel now proper price £44

I use these for spinning/lure and float work.  Amazing reels for the money, and excellent in those applications, but a constant pressure baitrunner Daiwa is slightly better for bolt rigs either for carp or winter pike.  For helicopter set ups and fixed feeders Crossfires are amazing.  The only week point is the easily replaced bail arm spring. 

The line lay is even better with a few turns of fly line backing underneath it, especially with braid.   Tight lines mate!