Plum tree advice please.

harrycatcat1

I put two plum trees in my garden about 25 years ago but one of them never really did anything so I chopped it down.

The second one for the last 4 or 5 years has been "afflicted" with the plums going rotten and shriveling up on the tree.

Has anyone got any advice how I can cure it or is it time to get it chopped down?

20200729_101833.jpg

20200729_101922.jpg

20 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I have to admit that it looks like that is it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment 👍👍👍

Looks like it's going to get chopped.

On 31/07/2020 at 14:18, lord_seagrave said:

There’s a lot of foliage there. Perhaps try pruning it first. Do it now (summer) and paint the wounds with Arbrex. Get the size and shape of the tree more manageable, and that might make it easier to get on top of any rot next year.

LS

Wife has just 3 lovely looking plums off it, cut them open and they were full of "little worms".

My instructions are to "chop the useless thing down"

Thanks for everyone's advice anyway 👍

46 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Any cure that you know of ?

Very difficult if not impossible to cure at this stage, the damage is already done.

One of those moth traps as above should help next year. For gardens they use them to control the moths, in big plantations they count the moths caught daily and when a certain number is reached they spray the whole field.

I hadn't really looked at my plum tree since pruning last year, took off some bad fruit at the weekend and noticed a lot more leaves than normal,  lots of fruit on the tree, they really are a great fruit tree.

Does anyone know how long they give fruit for? This was already in the garden when we moved in 8 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Does anyone know how long they give fruit for? This was already in the garden when we moved in 8 years ago.

We planted ours about 28 years ago. 

It has fruited every year for about 25 years and this year has been the best.

3 minutes ago, amateur said:

We planted ours about 28 years ago. 

It has fruited every year for about 25 years and this year has been the best.

Thanks for that, ours certainly looks an older tree, but I might look at planting another, I'd like a cherry tree, but I'd just be feeding the birds.