When the foxpro stops working !

Agriv8

As it’s an open forum don’t want to give too many details away I guess most of you will understand why.

the foxes around the very small Family shoot I am invited and that I beat on are usually tempted in by the fox caller and dispatched with the rifle couple of youngsters have been seen on the cameras taking an Interest  round  the freshly built  poults pens A week before delivery not ideal. 

I was part of a fox drive Round the woods last night but nothing seen, smelt or evidence found those with rifles will be back out during the week.

so I was wandering what other ideas you seasoned pros have When the callers don’t work we are reasonably sure they will be back when the poults are in but wold ideally like the mater dealt with before then.

u2u if preferred 

thanks

Agriv8

I use a thermal, BUT, you can't beat just sitting, find a good vantage point and just sit and wait, any time of the day and you really will be surprised. Just sit and look around with bino's, maybe you won't get a shot, but you'll see where he's travelling and tomorrow you can be more on side and get that shot. I sit for hours and more times than not it does pay off, even when you think there's none there.

Thanks all I think thermal has been borrowed ! Problem is the day jobs gets in the way of 24 hour monitoring a stillborn lamb was left out and dragged to the side of the wood,  Replaced and watched and three evenings Mornings and they stayed away. The cameras have only caught them twice at two ransoms Times. 

the gut feelings of the old uns might be that they are holed up somewhere close and travelling in the pens and carcass were investigated as different new smells. 
 The lie of the land gives them lots of wood covered streams and gullies to move in but no sign of active route or boundary markings So far might offer to take the young spaniel over as she has a knack of finding fresh fox **** to roll in !

Thanks anyway will investigate horse clippings bait 

atb Agriv8 

2 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

I use a thermal, BUT, you can't beat just sitting, find a good vantage point and just sit and wait, any time of the day and you really will be surprised. Just sit and look around with bino's, maybe you won't get a shot, but you'll see where he's travelling and tomorrow you can be more on side and get that shot. I sit for hours and more times than not it does pay off, even when you think there's none there.

100%   time, patience and planning a lightweight high seat is handy here, you can change position until you find the route the fox is taking and they are almost always on the same route and close to the same time unless disturbed.  The one last night we had observed over a week and then I made a plan, sat in the Landie and right on cue as expected it came in view for the last time.  The farmer said he didn't have the patience that I have. It paid of.

The best caller I have ever used is a piece of polystyrene on a glass bottle, called coyotes, raccoons, bobcats even hogs with such in the States and many a fox here in the UK.  You can produce little insy winsy squeaks and full blown screams with a bit of practise.

Edited by Walker570

Don't stress, a couple of foxes do not spell disaster. Lots of shoots get by with very little fox control, too many get a little stressed / obsessive about them.

Make sure the pen is totally sound, and make sure it has a good electric fence of at least two strands. A few rags with assorted smelly fluids never do any harm, creosote, diesel etc.

Put a highseat up near to the pen in a good vantage point. If foxes start taking poults (not a given) then a few first and last light sessions in a high seat usually quickly deal with any culprits. No need to stay up all night.