The rotary made all the difference.

JDog

Jacko once told me that he lived in Wath on Dearne near Rotherham. It seems strange then that he hangs about outside my house most days. Today was one of those days.

I planned to shoot a farm which had harvested two fields of rape and two of winter barley and was unsure which would be the best field so I asked the PW shotkam expert along to throw in his two pennyworth and I gave him first choice. He chose a rape stubble with good lines in whilst I had to be content with a barley stubble with a line to it which diverged. My normal rule on stubble is not to use a rotary. Today for 45 minutes I watched good lines go across my field without a single bird decoying. As soon as I put the rotary out things changed and pigeons decoyed very well.

Jacko was having a reasonable time too and I called him several times just to be sure he was getting shooting. He did eventually join me and shot five birds with eight shots in my rearranged pattern. When he was close to his PB I cruelly cut the session short citing dinner in the oven or that sort of thing. We did however have a very decent session and picked 66 pigeons and 1 Carrion crow.

Barney never missed a trick and picked difficult birds in thick brambles and ditches. He has eaten a horse for his dinner.

Walesby 1.jpg

Walesby 2.jpg

An enjoyable session,  well done Barney,nothing has been harvested near us yet,but there is one field of flat barley but he won't let me shoot it as he has someone shoot on it.There was a fair few crow's and pigeon on it this afternoon.

I don’t know what to say about the first few words🤪🤪 but it was Avery enjoyable day I must have lifted 2to3 hundred birds from the rape field but they decided to not come back but I did get some shooting and when I joined Jdog the banter was better than being alone in a field great day finished of with a pint at a lovely pub in tealsby 

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Good report of a worthy session, I have found that a rotary on stubble can spook and attract the secret is height. If you adjust it to the lowest position it will attract any height and it will repell. OK Stuck my head above the parapet and waiting to be shot down, I'm ready to duck , come on Motty ????

We most probably have at some time, but I can't recall ever seeing a thread about what is the best height you set up a magnet over certain crops and stubble , I have always been a believer the higher they are set the greater distance they will attract , this theory might be completely wrong , maybe I have had better days when I have had the use of a flapper on grain stubbles and better days with the magnet on the taller stubbles like Bean and Rape stubble , so your theory about setting the magnet as low as possible might well be a winner , I will certainly put it to the test within the next few days , THANKS for the tip :good: 

Great outing Jdog, nice when things go your way! Rarely had a better day without the rotary personally. 
I had a similar outing yesterday and shot 60 over peas, although they wouldn’t commit until after 5 o clock oddly then came in steadily till 7 o clock when we knocked it on the head. Every day is different! 

Rightly or wrongly, I tend to set one arm at its lowest setting (horizontal) and the other raised up quite a bit. My reasoning is that it doesn't present such a regimented view of two pigeons going round at the same level, but one possibly just about to land. This is probably utter nonsense, but it's the way it looks more convincing to me.

Next time out next week I will try the JDog method which will be on wheat stubble.

Always willing to learn.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Rightly or wrongly, I tend to set one arm at its lowest setting (horizontal) and the other raised up quite a bit. My reasoning is that it doesn't present such a regimented view of two pigeons going round at the same level, but one possibly just about to land. This is probably utter nonsense, but it's the way it looks more convincing to me.

Next time out next week I will try the JDog method which will be on wheat stubble.

Always willing to learn.

OB

Morning Chris  ...... There must be more ways and combinations of setting up and positioning a magnet than the A to Z of sex , not that I have ever read it all as after getting as far as B my back said , don't even think about it :lol:

Your method with different arm levels will be worth a try along with P C keeping it as close to the stubble as possible , a mate of mine is a firm believer of putting the base in at an angle so the birds going around look like they are landing on each other , weather it work or not I couldn't tell you as I have yet to try it out , and then like most other methods on the day you try it and it work you think you have found the answer to your prayer , then if it was the wrong day you would think another waste of time , in a way it is a good job we don't know the perfect set up ( if there is such a thing ) as half the fun is trying to find it .:good:

8 hours ago, JDog said:

Marsh man

With reference to that book you quoted there is absolutely no need to go past A,B and C.

I would be more than happy if I could complete A let alone B and C Mr JDog , I can easily remember the last geese I shot under the moon , but sex was when we had the last Blue moon , when was that ? , I can't remember but it was a long , long time ago :hmm:.

On 29/07/2020 at 20:05, JDog said:

Jacko once told me that he lived in Wath on Dearne near Rotherham. It seems strange then that he hangs about outside my house most days. Today was one of those days.

I planned to shoot a farm which had harvested two fields of rape and two of winter barley and was unsure which would be the best field so I asked the PW shotkam expert along to throw in his two pennyworth and I gave him first choice. He chose a rape stubble with good lines in whilst I had to be content with a barley stubble with a line to it which diverged. My normal rule on stubble is not to use a rotary. Today for 45 minutes I watched good lines go across my field without a single bird decoying. As soon as I put the rotary out things changed and pigeons decoyed very well.

Jacko was having a reasonable time too and I called him several times just to be sure he was getting shooting. He did eventually join me and shot five birds with eight shots in my rearranged pattern. When he was close to his PB I cruelly cut the session short citing dinner in the oven or that sort of thing. We did however have a very decent session and picked 66 pigeons and 1 Carrion crow.

Barney never missed a trick and picked difficult birds in thick brambles and ditches. He has eaten a horse for his dinner.

Walesby 1.jpg

Just as an afterthought my magnet is at least fifteen years old and has a motor with a centre shaft and with a stem that will allow it to be adjusted in height. So when I say low to the ground the motor is on the surface of the field, really low to the ground with the arms adjusted that the real birds are approx 50 mm off the ground. I shot some peas yesterday and adjusted it to skim your tops of the peas and oi worked well pulling birds up the field away from roads and houses.