Car Sat-Nav options? traditional, mobile phone, double DIN?

saddler

Given up with Garmin - now had the third one totally fail
Been offered their usual 30% off if I send it in for exchange

Never had a TomTom

What are the reliable alternatives to the main brands?
Prefer something with free map upgrades & BlueTooth, but other than that not too fussed

....or is everyone just using the maps on the phone these days?

Could go with a Double-DIN type as well, but again, quite a few options to choose from

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

Didnt think anyone had a seperate Sat-Nav, i thought it was all Phone and blue-tooth connected to the car radio. 

...one of the cars still has the factory radio cassette - will see if there's a hidden Bluetooth switch 😁

4 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

use the one you were born with

?

1 minute ago, saddler said:

...one of the cars still has the factory radio cassette - will see if there's a hidden Bluetooth switch 😁

?

I would still use phone, or even a 7inch tablet and bluetooth info from phone, you can get holders for dash board, if the car is an old one with wooden dash board you could drill some brackets on. :good:

Just now, billytheghillie said:

your tongue, i just ask people if im in a strange place

Ah - not much good at 60mph approaching junctions or the like though, or for trips to newer estates which seem to be springing up all over.
You'd be surprised at the lack of LOCAL knowledge in some areas - as fewer and fewer folk now seem to BE locals...

1 minute ago, Dougy said:

I would still use phone, or even a 7inch tablet and bluetooth info from phone, you can get holders for dash board, if the car is an old one with wooden dash board you could drill some brackets on. :good:

The brackets might interfere with the decanter rack

9 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Waze (app on your phone) is so much better than any of the "big names".

And it's free.

Thanks - will check into this

7 minutes ago, ordnance said:

I have had a TomTom for 5 years, no issues good job. As for a phone would it not be hard on your data, if its not unlimited.  

Phone has unlimited everything - needs to as no landline in the house & it's used to access the internet, etc.

I have an old garmin that just keeps going had a problem updating maps for up coming trip when help chat came back online sorted in about 15 mins. Asked the techie what I should replace with if we couldn’t fix it. There was only one listed I the uk part of garmin website. Which is a shame as always preferred the way garmin works over Tom Tom .

regards Agriv8 

Technically its still illegal to have a mobile phone in a car with a display on the phone visible to the driver, You don't have to be touching a mobile to be classed as using it. Even if its on a route planner. I know a lot of people will be suprised by that and even disagree but I can tell you with absolute certainty its correct.  I saw several convictions go through.

TomTom or Garmin providing the same function is legal because it is not a communication device but its still illegal to fix to a windscreen in such a way that it obstructs your forward vision. General rule of thumb there is within the area swept by the wipers. 

Edited by Vince Green

OK I know they are useful for delivery drivers etc., but if I have to go somewhere new then I simply pull up google maps and even have a drive along the route beforehand which puts the route in my head and often my wife will say..Have you been here before ?...and I say yes on google.

24 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

but I can tell you with absolute certainty its correct.

IF you were absolutely certain, you'd be able to quote the legislation that actually made it so.

To the OP's point, my recommendation would be fit a radio to your vehicle with Apple Car Play/Android Auto.  Thus eliminating, as far as practicable, the hardware going out of date.  It mirrors what's on your phone, slightly reformatted and simplified to fit the display,

Put simply you use a mobile phone and waze. You will need a mount for the phone and preferably a way of charging your phone while on the move as GPS navigation eats your battery life.

I'm on the road 10-15 hours a day and it's all I use. Gave up with garmin 18 months ago and have not looked back.

54 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

IF you were absolutely certain, you'd be able to quote the legislation that actually made it so.

used to be a magistrate so got got all the briefing notes. The law says Its an offence for a driver in a car to use (or make use of) a mobile phone or other communication devices like CB  in a moving vehicle or in some cases a stationary vehicle.. Its the basic standard mobile phone in cars legislation.

"Make use of" is the crunch, usually regarded as any moving screen display, Sat nav, movies, games TV etc

Key point is the act doesn't make any exemption for sat navs or any other app that phone is being used for. Only grey area allows  that hands free must not be visual only voice activated but frankly thats under threat too.

Edited by Vince Green

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

used to be a magistrate so got got all the briefing notes. The law says Its an offence for a driver in a car to use (or make use of) a mobile phone or other communication devices like CB  in a moving vehicle or in some cases a stationary vehicle.. Its the basic standard mobile phone in cars legislation.

"Make use of" is the crunch, usually regarded as any moving screen display, Sat nav, movies, games TV etc

Key point is the act doesn't make any exemption for sat navs or any other app that phone is being used for. Only grey area allows  that hands free must not be visual only voice activated but frankly thats under threat too.

That's not correct, it's an offence to use a mobile phone by either holding it with the hand, or cradling it between the head and shoulder. So as long as your using it hands free there shouldn't be an issue. There are other bits of legislation, for instance if you were distracted by it and it affected your driving, you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, or as you've already mentioned, it's illegal to block the view of the road ahead.