Car Sat-Nav options? traditional, mobile phone, double DIN?

saddler

I know some people like Waze but I find it gimmicky with all the different icons flashing on and off. The traffic updates in google maps suits me for when I am in a car that doesn’t have in-built sat nav. 

some people have so many gadgets attached to their windscreens that they look like an Uber driver. 

31 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’m sure there’s still a pair of red velvet trousers and a two tone jacket in the wardrobe 😂👍

you realise there’s a percentage of youths on here haven’t got a clue what we’re talking about 🤭🤔

I'm one of those youngsters . I only know about flared trousers and bay city rollers because my nan told me 😆.

4 hours ago, chilly1981 said:

I got a pioneer double din with CarPlay/Android go to fit in my old shogun 

means plug phones in and everything is then on the big screen for nav etc also get all my music through it as well as traditional radio 

also for few quid fitted a reverse cam that shows on it 

also means your hands free for calls 

and keeps your phone charged 

few hundred to buy new but I got ebay bargain for 100 quid tops ten min to fit and set up 

Like this idea...will do some research into the various models & see if I can grab a bargain
VERY keen to get such a unit that has Digital Radio option.

Doing a 6+ hour round trip every Friday means that where I can listen to it, I have the mobile attached to the car dash with velcro so I can use the "Radio UK" app to get some of the old classic radio comedy shows...Works about 90% of the time, if a little hard to hear, plus some areas there is no signal so I have to put on a couple of 78's instead

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I'm one of those youngsters . I only know about flared trousers and bay city rollers because my nan told me 😆.

I thought it was a perk of the job, first stab at the bins for new pulling clobber - got to look bostin to pull the Dudley babes

7 hours ago, saddler said:

I thought it was a perk of the job, first stab at the bins for new pulling clobber - got to look bostin to pull the Dudley babes

Nobody in Dudley ever chucked their old clothes away , they just wait for them to come back into fashion.

I was only thinking about Dudley fashion the other day whilst sat at a pedestrian crossing .  a couple in their mid forties crossed in front of me , they both wore identical purple shell suits , his was way too small for him  , and hers was way too big for her ,  he finished his sporty look with a pair of black slip on shoes ,  and her sporty ensemble was finished with a pair of yellow high heels . Oh yes , Dudley fashion is something else.

9 hours ago, saddler said:

Like this idea...will do some research into the various models & see if I can grab a bargain
VERY keen to get such a unit that has Digital Radio option.

Indeed, as suggested Apple Carplay/Android auto means the actual features of the radio matter less.  Also lets you download podcasts onto your phone for the journey in advance, so you're not dependent on mobile data.

White van man to pedestrian:
"S'cuse me mate does yow now if there's a B & Q in Wolverhampton?"

Pedestrian:
"Sorry mate oi don't, but I nows theres 2 D's in Dudley"

Edited by udderlyoffroad

40 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Indeed, as suggested Apple Carplay/Android auto means the actual features of the radio matter less.  Also lets you download podcasts onto your phone for the journey in advance, so you're not dependent on mobile data.

White van man to pedestrian:
"S'cuse me mate does yow now if there's a B & Q in Wolverhampton?"

Pedestrian:
"Sorry mate oi don't, but I nows theres 2 D's in Dudley"

You know the black Country very well 😅.

I use the Google maps on my phone, it constantly updates and gives you options so you can divert if there is traffic congestion ahead and also gives the increased time and distance.

I also use it when using hire cars abroad, don`t want to pay their stupid prices to discover they are programmed in Spanish, did that once. Tip here is to switch your mobile phone off, then on again and Google loads up with the country you are in and it's also in English. Just take a 12 volt car charger with you, job done. Remember when you arrive back in Blighty to switch off and on again or you find your routes starting in Gran Canaria or where ever!.

12 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You know the black Country very well 😅.

Oi do too 
Back when it was not as refined as like it wot is today
3 years of my life in Dudley that I'll not get back 🤪
...still, means me and Mary Whitehouse have a common thread

WAZE

Tried it out - a partial success - on a very rural A road initially....and for most of the almost 3 hour trip
Seemed to drop out a lot & lose satellite access a fair bit
It also seemed to think that I'd joined around 20% of every side road I passed, before re-routing
Driving parallel to the main road in the middle of a field or lake cropped up more than once
I was also surprised to see that my Fiat can do 98mph uphill on a 12% slope when stuck behind a tractor

Still - not too bad
It did find a couple of route options when the main bypass was gridlocked

6 out of 10 so far, may see if I can adjust a few settings to make it run smoother

I have just bought a car with no satnav as it has Apple CarPlay which I was a bit sceptical of.

However, I have found it amazing.

I have tried google maps but prefer to use my TomTom Go app (there is a monthly fee for this) as it gives more information, in particular speed camera warnings (fixed, red light and mobile) which Google maps doesn't.

Google maps does offer voice control through Siri so I do use it if I need directions while I am driving.