Practice prices

Wylye

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big range of prices there....... Obviously profit expectations have a big influence on prices, the 'clubs' are just covering costs where the bigger grounds have bigger bills to pay.

The cost of shooting 100 Registered Sporting varies a bit too. The trend is obviously upward with one ground announcing £45 for a competition entry. 100 Fitasc can cost £60+ so its not going to get any easier.

Well I would suggest you get what you pay for, our local ground is 32p PC to non Members and 26p PC to Members.

English Sporting Registered is invariably £34 Targets Only at most places, consequently I use an entry for practice and to build my average back up.

Here at the top of Cambridgeshire we are in easy reach of lots of the better grounds for ESP.

Currently with the book ahead and often pay ahead set up, we are thoroughly enjoying the relaxed form of the sport as it is now.

13 hours ago, Wylye said:

Big range of prices there....... Obviously profit expectations have a big influence on prices, the 'clubs' are just covering costs where the bigger grounds have bigger bills to pay.

The cost of shooting 100 Registered Sporting varies a bit too. The trend is obviously upward with one ground announcing £45 for a competition entry. 100 Fitasc can cost £60+ so its not going to get any easier.

100 registered sporting in Scotland has been £45 for a while.  £5 to prize pot £4 SCTA levy, then 12 ref’s at £60 and with an average over the year of circa 100 guns per event that’s another £7.20 on average.

It means for the ground they are typically taking £28 - £30 for a registered shoot, all the commercial grounds up here are pretty much c.30p a target for practice so 100 practice or 100 comp is all the same to the ground, but practice is less hassle and less moaning ****.

Clubs and straw balers are less of course.

In the midlands there can be upwards of 200 people shooting a reg’ sporting at c.£38 an entry.  

I wished we could get 200 guns up here for a sporting.

Living in the West Midlands the practice clay prices seem to vary dependent upon the a couple of factors :

The high end grounds with nice Club Houses , Gun Shops Cafe etc seem to be at 40p /Clay. 

At the lower end of the scale the ground with a large shed, basic tea making facilities, less staff and probably older equipment are say 30p / Clay.

Local Club / Sunday morning shoots approx 28p / Clay

I like to  go and try as many different grounds as possible to see whats on offer but the rising cost of Clays precludes me from going to the more expensive grounds frequently.

At the end of the day the Grounds facilities are of little interest to me, Its the quality of the target presentations that I go for. Just because the ground charges 40p / Clay does not mean that they throw good targets. The couple of local shoots that I attend on Sundays throw targets that make you think and you can see that the Course Setter has thought about each stand.

Add to that that the cost of cartridges is 20p per bang then when you get addicted it can become an expensive past time.

6 hours ago, Fishing Richie said:

At the end of the day the Grounds facilities are of little interest to me, Its the quality of the target presentations that I go for. Just because the ground charges 40p / Clay does not mean that they throw good targets.

I absolutely agree 👍 

My preferred Yorkshire ground is a cpsa premier ground and 24p per clay practice. Plus everystand has a scorer so no birds or seeing a bird is not charged.

Another premierplus ground not too far away has claymate and charges 35p per clay.  Suffice to say I very rarely go there .

However here is another thing to consider , the cheap ground gets my business at least once a week for practice and quite often twice. I will also do 150 Clay's.  If I went to the expensive ground I would never do more than 100.  So even though much cheaper i shoot a lot more Clay's and go far more often. The cheap ground must make hundreds of pounds profit from me every year. The expensive ground would be lucky to make fifty quid.  I wonder which is the best business model and most profitable ground.

I'm amazed at the £45 for comps in Scotland. A SCTA levy of £4 seems like a lot of money. Depends on how often you shoot I suppose but it makes the CPSA membership look like good value.

As far as clay costs go then the picture north to south is fairly consistent . One factor we have all ignored is VAT.  20% is a fair proportion of the revenue taken at a busy ground. So the £40 entry fee, less £5 for the prize fund turns into £28 nett for the ground. Refs and ground staff need paying for - best part of £1K really. Then rent to pay too.  So the 150 entries hardly leave a fortune in the pot do they? This of course is the competition itself, no accounting for the two or three days spent setting up and getting clays out to the traps then another day clearing up afterwards. Plus a host of other costs like trap maintainance, vehicles, fuel, grass cutting etc etc.

Theres obviously a profit to be made, the people we know wouldn't do it just for fun would they? But its not as much as you think.

5 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

My preferred Yorkshire ground is a cpsa premier ground and 24p per clay practice. Plus everystand has a scorer so no birds or seeing a bird is not charged.

Another premierplus ground not too far away has claymate and charges 35p per clay.  Suffice to say I very rarely go there .

However here is another thing to consider , the cheap ground gets my business at least once a week for practice and quite often twice. I will also do 150 Clay's.  If I went to the expensive ground I would never do more than 100.  So even though much cheaper i shoot a lot more Clay's and go far more often. The cheap ground must make hundreds of pounds profit from me every year. The expensive ground would be lucky to make fifty quid.  I wonder which is the best business model and most profitable ground.

I think I know which grounds you are talking about. They each have a different philosophy and approach and its really down to the customer which he prefers. Remember the cost of the extra cartridges when you shoot more at the cheaper ground.

Just now, Wylye said:

I think I know which grounds you are talking about. They each have a different philosophy and approach and its really down to the customer which he prefers. Remember the cost of the extra cartridges when you shoot more at the cheaper ground.

Cartridges dont come in to the equation in my reckoning when looking at overall cost. They cost the same wherever you shoot and whatever you shoot at. 

5 hours ago, Wylye said:

I'm amazed at the £45 for comps in Scotland. A SCTA levy of £4 seems like a lot of money. Depends on how often you shoot I suppose but it makes the CPSA membership look like good value.

As far as clay costs go then the picture north to south is fairly consistent . One factor we have all ignored is VAT.  20% is a fair proportion of the revenue taken at a busy ground. So the £40 entry fee, less £5 for the prize fund turns into £28 nett for the ground. Refs and ground staff need paying for - best part of £1K really. Then rent to pay too.  So the 150 entries hardly leave a fortune in the pot do they? This of course is the competition itself, no accounting for the two or three days spent setting up and getting clays out to the traps then another day clearing up afterwards. Plus a host of other costs like trap maintainance, vehicles, fuel, grass cutting etc etc.

Theres obviously a profit to be made, the people we know wouldn't do it just for fun would they? But its not as much as you think.

Yep, I think there is a mistaken belief that clay grounds are profit hungry beasts doing everything they can to lift the shooters leg.  People are in business to make money and profit is not an ugly word, but the margins are not what many people imagine them to be.

You are absolutely spot on about the effort to setup a shoot too, to try and do something different for the shooters and show something different needs a chunk of effort that many just don't appreciate.  I set the targets for the Scottish Championship last year and it was a full week of work in the lead up for 2 of us to get 15 brand new stands set so everything was new to everyone.  Then on the day it blew an utter hoollie so at the ground before 7am to tweak and change and make sure everything was safe, although there was a couple of battues that were damn near supersonic because of the wind....they were awesome!

5 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Yes and I bet the majority are miserable old yorkshiremen 😁

Well I happen to have been born within the hallowed acres so consider myself to be blessed. Managed to get both my kids born in Gods country too. I am getting bloody old but I try not to be miserable.

56 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Yep, I think there is a mistaken belief that clay grounds are profit hungry beasts doing everything they can to lift the shooters leg.  People are in business to make money and profit is not an ugly word, but the margins are not what many people imagine them to be.

You are absolutely spot on about the effort to setup a shoot too, to try and do something different for the shooters and show something different needs a chunk of effort that many just don't appreciate.  I set the targets for the Scottish Championship last year and it was a full week of work in the lead up for 2 of us to get 15 brand new stands set so everything was new to everyone.  Then on the day it blew an utter hoollie so at the ground before 7am to tweak and change and make sure everything was safe, although there was a couple of battues that were damn near supersonic because of the wind....they were awesome!

The weather is the one thing you no control over I'm afraid. Setting targets is brilliant isn't it? The wait for the first cards to come in to see if you have over - cooked it is stressful too. The relief when the World Champion comes in with a 97 has to be experienced to be believed.

5 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Yes and I bet the majority are miserable old yorkshiremen 😁

Well I happen to have been born within the hallowed acres so consider myself to be blessed. Managed to get both my kids born in Gods country too. I am getting bloody old but I try not to be miserable.

1 hour ago, Wylye said:

The weather is the one thing you no control over I'm afraid. Setting targets is brilliant isn't it? The wait for the first cards to come in to see if you have over - cooked it is stressful too. The relief when the World Champion comes in with a 97 has to be experienced to be believed.

Very much so.  The great thing for me is when the classes are won by a score that is just a few targets above the classification bands and just as importantly nobody has been beaten up.

Easiest thing in the world to smash people.

The thing that always seems to happen on every shoot is that the target you look at and think ‘oooh that’s a bit tasty’ gets mullered by everyone and the simple dolly dropper card filler wrecks everyone.

I agree with you on that.   I've always thought that its easier to put on a bad shoot because its done with no thought or planning or done by amateurs. A lot of so-called 'straw balers' fall into that category in that the work is done by enthusiasts who always say ' lets see the clay shooters hit that one' and you end up with a 70 yard midi going between trees! I'm glad that they do it because a lot of us started shooting at village clay shoots, Young Farmers shoots etc etc and they should carry on.

On 31/07/2020 at 16:22, grrclark said:

And your effort was appreciated! Great set up and as I said before, my first ever "zero" score on a stand ha-ha!