Practice prices

Wylye

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I pay £13 per 150, as i have my own promatic trap, well worth investing if you shoot a lot.

Does that include depreciation of the asset? 🤔

Ha, I’m only jealous. If I had the land I would do it. Probably doesn’t beat the feel of a clay ground but I imagine would be good fun and easy enough to alter your position / the throw to give some variation. 

2 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

your right doesnt beat the real clay ground, but i drag it up small hills and change the angle,  hide it behind gorse bushes etc.  good fun

If you have the space and a bit of ground with a change in elevation it’s great.

If you can walk around the trap and shoot in different directions it’s even better.

On 01/08/2020 at 17:58, Cawdor118 said:

And your effort was appreciated! Great set up and as I said before, my first ever "zero" score on a stand ha-ha!

The fast battues 😬

Almost everyone who missed slowed or stopped the gun and shot above the line.

On 01/08/2020 at 17:04, billytheghillie said:

I pay £13 per 150, as i have my own promatic trap, well worth investing if you shoot a lot.

I get the 90 packs for $6.99 usd at the grocery store.  But the city ran skeet field is $3.25 per 25.  We have a posh place that has wobble and sporting clay. It’s $50 per 75 but that includes lunch at the club house.  We actually have lots of sporting clay fields popping up. Do you guys have them?  The are set up like golf courses with 18 tees.  Each tee is different, some will roll a clay down a hill( rabbit) or throw them toward you, right to left etc....  some will even have rolls of hay stacked up so you have a small window to shoot.  

6 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I get the 90 packs for $6.99 usd at the grocery store.  But the city ran skeet field is $3.25 per 25.  We have a posh place that has wobble and sporting clay. It’s $50 per 75 but that includes lunch at the club house.  We actually have lots of sporting clay fields popping up. Do you guys have them?  The are set up like golf courses with 18 tees.  Each tee is different, some will roll a clay down a hill( rabbit) or throw them toward you, right to left etc....  some will even have rolls of hay stacked up so you have a small window to shoot.  

You are fortunate to live where you do. 260 million population with a totally different gun culture. Looks very good value.

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

160 SEK for 25 on the grounds I usually visit, app £55/100, but then carts are included as well (not allowed to use your own).

/Markus

Not far off our prices really but its all relative to annual income I suppose.

On 30/07/2020 at 08:01, WalkedUp said:

The nearest shoot (NWSS) is too expensive for me. Our ‘straw bale’ shoot is £20/100 but you can shoot alone as it is very sociable and people will pull for you. Clays is an expensive hobby unfortunately! 

North Wales Shooting ground??

They have offers for multiple tokens which can work out around £26/100

Catton Hall is £24/100 (although they put 10% on the card) practice, £30 birds only and £35 competition

Wylye , it is called greed .

Easiest way to stop greed is to take away the feedbowl or the hungry mouths .

£30 per hundred is a reasonable cost in my opinion .

What may work is to enquire what the cost is and when told £40  , £35 , £32 , etc is to turn on your heeel and say " Thank You , I'll leave it ." They will soon get the message .

4 hours ago, Salopian said:

Wylye , it is called greed .

Easiest way to stop greed is to take away the feedbowl or the hungry mouths .

£30 per hundred is a reasonable cost in my opinion .

What may work is to enquire what the cost is and when told £40  , £35 , £32 , etc is to turn on your heeel and say " Thank You , I'll leave it ." They will soon get the message .

Pleased you're still banging the keyboard my friend.

Theres a whole raft of shooters out there who regard money as no object when it comes to their sport. Spoils it for a lot of others not so fortunate though.

I agree with Salopian on this one.

Having shot Coleys several times  I enjoyed it but did not rate it as anything out of the ordinary. This is the most expensive ground I have ever shot. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that it sets out to attract wealthy clientele from the Cotswolds. Also as you look at the cost of any grounds down the M40 towards London and £40 / 100 is the minimum going rate.

I sometimes go and shoot  Hailes Fruit Farm (not that far from Coleys) and they charge £30 / 100 which is very reasonable.

As I posted before its the quality of the target setting that is as  important to me as the price so I try to shoot as many grounds as possible.

Rich

22 minutes ago, Fishing Richie said:

I agree with Salopian on this one.

Having shot Coleys several times  I enjoyed it but did not rate it as anything out of the ordinary. This is the most expensive ground I have ever shot. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that it sets out to attract wealthy clientele from the Cotswolds. Also as you look at the cost of any grounds down the M40 towards London and £40 / 100 is the minimum going rate.

I sometimes go and shoot  Hailes Fruit Farm (not that far from Coleys) and they charge £30 / 100 which is very reasonable.

As I posted before its the quality of the target setting that is as  important to me as the price so I try to shoot as many grounds as possible.

Rich

If the local market will stand the price then the grounds are going to charge as much as they can get away with. If attendances start to drop off then they will try and discover the reason. Its no different to the price of fuel, pigeon shooting, pheasant shooting and certainly grouse shooting.

8 minutes ago, Wylye said:

If the local market will stand the price then the grounds are going to charge as much as they can get away with. If attendances start to drop off then they will try and discover the reason. Its no different to the price of fuel, pigeon shooting, pheasant shooting and certainly grouse shooting.

Have to agree with you there.

When I went  Coleys there was just as many old motors like mine as there were expensive metal like Range Rovers etc.

Good comments from everyone , but let us stop for a minute and reflect .

Years ago you could find a Saturday or Sunday shoot where a bunch of friends / enthusiasts would meet up with a trap OR TWO and we would pay £5 per 25  = 100 for £20 .

This paid for clays and ground / Field rent and is still economical to do today , so why not?

2 hours ago, Salopian said:

Good comments from everyone , but let us stop for a minute and reflect .

Years ago you could find a Saturday or Sunday shoot where a bunch of friends / enthusiasts would meet up with a trap OR TWO and we would pay £5 per 25  = 100 for £20 .

This paid for clays and ground / Field rent and is still economical to do today , so why not?

Insurance!

I dont get this good target excuse for putting up prices. It costs no more to fire a clay into the sky in such a way that some people think it's good rather than bad. The argument is also flawed when it comes to the disciplines. Dont know if the likes of Coley have disciplines at their ground. But if they do and are charging 40p to practice them , that is totally over the top in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, TRINITY said:

I dont get this good target excuse for putting up prices. It costs no more to fire a clay into the sky in such a way that some people think it's good rather than bad. The argument is also flawed when it comes to the disciplines. Dont know if the likes of Coley have disciplines at their ground. But if they do and are charging 40p to practice them , that is totally over the top in my opinion. 

They do have an excellent variety of target presentations, 24 stands at last count which is far more than any other ground within reasonable driving distance from me. I’m not saying that completely justifies the cost but it Is certainly a good day out and I’m happy to pay 40p on the odd occasion when I fancy a treat. As I said before the Claymate system is excellent for a Billy No Mates like me where I can just turn up by myself and practice the stands I have a problem with.