Best way Gutting Rabbits?

TheSniper

personally i find that opening up the stomach with a sharp (razor sharp) blade is best.

then get the front legs in one hand and the back legs in the other and flick them out stomach first, then just pull on them and they will away out easily.

:lol: No one has mentioned paunching the bunny first hold the bunnies front legs ad hold it between your closed legs run yor thunb down the under bellie this will push all the wee out then drop the guts out do this straight away and it dont have that horable smell

:oops:

I have been keen on paunching quickly within the hour but now taken on Winchesters idea of immediate paunching ... also reduces the weight with carrying the bag.

Malk

knife in below the sternum and slit the skin and fur down about 4 inches then get your hands in.

only ever use rubber gloves if we are ferreting

Once slit a rabbit open and wafted the smell down the hole with my cap to try and entice a ferret out, forgot I had blood on my hands and ended up with the ferret firmly attached to my thumb... god did that hurt and the nail go black :):good:

:good: D2D

knife in below the sternum and slit the skin and fur down about 4 inches then get your hands in.

only ever use rubber gloves if we are ferreting

Once slit a rabbit open and wafted the smell down the hole with my cap to try and entice a ferret out, forgot I had blood on my hands and ended up with the ferret firmly attached to my thumb... god did that hurt and the nail go black :blink: ;)

:) D2D

do the same if the ferret doesnt have a collar on

works a treat

• 9 months later...
THE best way is to go out with someone who knows what they are doing.

Observe, learn, practice.

LB

Thats a stupid answer!!!!!

What if he doesnt have anyone who knows how to do it, to go shooting with, what is he going to do then? not go at all........

everyone has to learn somewhere and some are not as fortunate as others by having experienced people to go with!!

LB

What if he doesnt have anyone who knows how to do it, to go shooting with, what is he going to do then? not go at all........

everyone has to learn somewhere and some are not as fortunate as others by having experienced people to go with!!

i would say have a look on you tube, there are some good vids :yes:

if your gutting a lot of rabbits, this is the quickest method, even quicker if theres two of you,

lay rabbit on back, put a foot on his front legs, holding them down firmly, cut a nick in the fur rib cage area, place 1st finger in the hole and pull towards the back legs, then of course, pick rabbit up, bend him backwards and with a flick, put most of the guts down a freshly dug hole, two fingers in around the stomach, pulls that out, job complete, its ok throwing the guts in a bush when your doing one or two, but 30/40 rabbits, I think its better to bury, in case the landowner gets pee'd off with the amount of flies, as "charlie" wont eat that amount in one night,

if theres two of you, one puts the knife cut in and pulls down, then puts the rabbits in a pile, for the second person to be the guts flinger, can do 30/40 rabbits in as little as 10 minutes :yes:

LB

It's the way I learnt so I certainly don't think it's a stupid answer.

FM