Another Bettinsoli Thread

Cannon

I am looking to add an O/U to the cabinet and have been drawn to a few Bettinsoli models. So far this has been purely based on their appearance, though I will be hands on with them shortly to get a closer look. Looking at some of the other Bettinsoli threads on here it would appear that they get fairly mixed reviews, with the most common gripes being double discharges and the occasional stuck action.

Some of the threads are 8 years old, and I am wondering whether or not Bettinsoli have got their act together since then and addressed the issues raised by their customers, or are they still producing products that suffer from the same issues? Some people have reported similar issues as late as 2018, so I am wondering if anything has changed in the last couple of years regarding the quality of the end product.

One thing to mention is that the gun will be mainly used around farms and fields, with the occasional appearance at a clay ground. It would be difficult to rest a 525 or a Silver Pigeon up against a fence even if it was second hand, but at the same time I would like a gun that looks and feels half decent. I have had Baikals and Lanbers over the years, with both brands suffering the same issues of light primer strikes and failure to fire the second barrel quite regularly. Perhaps they were just bad examples of what otherwise would be very reasonable choices. Any thoughts on the Bettinsoli (or alternatives) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance

Had one many years ago and it did look pretty, but it was also obvious that the quality was somewhat lacking with the wood losing its lustre after a couple of years and the metal seemingly quite soft. You say that you wouldn't lean a 525 etc against a post but then nor should you lean a £50 Balkal against one - simply bad practice. Personally I would go for a used quality gun every time - but it needs to fit first and foremost,many who feel that a Browning becomes an extension to their arm will find a Beretta makes then feel disjointed and vice versa so try before you buy.Older Miroku's can be picked up fairly priced and are generally sound investments. As for appearance, I think I know what most shooters think about cheap guns in fancy clothes - the quality of a gun speaks volumes and its often what you cannot see that gives the gun class rather than what you can.

I have a Bettinsoli double rifle in 8x57 and can only say it performs well and is a joy to shoot.   With some of these guns it appears they go through a period of shoddy workmanship.  My little Yilditz 410 O/U has been faultless for four seasons but a couple of friends bought similar guns a year after mine having seen and handled mine and they turned out to be most unreliable, double discharges etc etc., with even replacement guns being the same.  This makes it very difficult to recommend.  Purchased a little Huglu S/S in 410 and that looked the business and handled so well but suddenly decided it didn't want to always fire.  A local gunsmith had a look and said the internals where so soft it was almost impossible to safely put the action in a vice to work on it.   I think the advice to buy a quality make second hand is sound but firstly does the gun fit you and feel right, not what it looks like.  They're a bit like females, heavy makeup can hide many defects.

Edited by Walker570

I can understand the lure of a warranty attracting people, but it’s something I pay no heed to at all in the purchase of a gun. If it’s a deciding factor in a purchase, to me it’s like the buyer is already sceptical and expecting things to go wrong. 
There are oodles and oodles of quality secondhand guns out there by manufacturers with well established reputations, giving season upon season of trouble free service, for a similar price to a new Bettinsoli. 
I’ve witnessed on several occasions some young lad having his days shooting destroyed ( and the look on his face ) because the cheap gun he bought has started double discharging, failing to eject or some other such problem. It’s awful to see. All of those lads have gone on in time to replace their cheap warrented guns with secondhand Browning, Beretta, Miroku, Winchester or similar. 
In all the guns I’ve bought ( and there have been many ) only two have had faults...one was a Beretta SuperSport on which the timing was out , easily fixed by the RFD I bought it from, and the second was a bought unseen Mossi 500 .410 which had to be racked twice to eject. 
Take someone with you who knows what they’re looking for, if you don’t feel confident enough. 
Incidentally, the Lanber Sporting DeLuxe is a much underrated shotgun, with similar handling characteristics to a Winchester 101.
Saying all that, a keeper I know has a Bettinsoli as a second gun he lends to various people on beaters day. He likes it. 

The Ex bought one s/h as her first gun for clays, 30" barrels, game scene engraved on it, seems to point ok, if a touch on the heavy side.  Quality seems to be....ok, with no issues in nearly 2 years of ownership and muggins here cleaning it.

9 hours ago, Cannon said:

One thing to mention is that the gun will be mainly used around farms and fields

If you're using it like that, I personally would get a semi with a synthetic stock, save the pennies (and take your time) to find something nicer for use at clay grounds.  You could put a sling on it which would save having to lean it against anything.  Right tool for the job.

Hi

Had 1 for 8 years, never missed a beat , no double discharge or sticky action, they are on the heavy side ,  great for the hide and a quick walkaround but personally too heavy for a walked up rough day. So I  eventually went over to a X trail 20 bore, 30 " barrels shoots like a dream, miss very little with it,steel proof as well.

s

Thanks for all the replies. It has given me a lot to consider. One thing that may sway my decision in favour of a Bettinsoli is that the main distributor is only up the road, and has confirmed that he will deal with any issues that may arise straight away. Spares are also very cheap and plentiful should they be needed.