Beretta vs Miroku ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

Quality wise which is the better of the two as a clay all rounder . Beretta 695 30" sporter or a Miroku MK38 Grd 5 30" sporter  ?.

Thanks all.

It’s not really a question of which is better, more which one suits the shooter. 
Berettas slap me on the cheek bone while Miroku/Browning/Winchester don’t, so it’s a no brainier for me, other people will have preferences for different reasons. 
The Berettas suffered quality issues starting with the 690 series, whether that has been resolved I don’t know. 

Neither has stand out finish quality as they're both built to a price but the bits that matter don't wear out or break very often.

Recent 69x series Berettas have the redesigned ejectors which appear to be trouble free so reliability isn't likely to be a deciding factor. The 695 sporters seem to be around 7 1/2 - 7 3/4lbs which is pretty light for a modern sporter. It also seems very expensive for bit of extra engraving and a wood upgrade. What about the 694? Proper sporting gun and the replacement for the hapless 692.

There's not much to choose quality wise so buy the one you like better. Personally I think there are better buys at that money than either but it's what you like that matters.

38 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I don't have an O/U but I'd appreciate views on the entry level Beretta Onyx White and Beretta Black Onyx if any might post them here?

I have got three berettas, one been a white onyx, which I love, very plain but i like that and it works well, gets my vote and infact looking at getting the 20g version

7 hours ago, Scully said:

It’s not really a question of which is better, more which one suits the shooter. 
Berettas slap me on the cheek bone while Miroku/Browning/Winchester don’t, so it’s a no brainier for me, other people will have preferences for different reasons. 
The Berettas suffered quality issues starting with the 690 series, whether that has been resolved I don’t know. 

Well stop missing , then it will stop slapping you .😀

In my experience when running a shooting ground, it was very rare that someone could shoot both guns well. Some shot better with the Beretta, which usually has a thicker and higher comb (probably why it was smacking Scully  ? ) and conversely some shot better with the Browning/Miroku guns. As far as quality goes I think they are about equal. Beretta have had issues, BUT so have Browning/Miroku.  If you are buying a used grade 5, examine the wood closely, they are very prone to cracking. I know of 1 guy that had 3 stocks on his new Gd. 5 before he got one that did not crack  !  You really have to try BOTH guns to help you decide.

I have 686 s & it's just the most perfect feeling gun I've ever fired. I've been fortunate via friends & work to try some very high end guns, but I wouldn't swap my 686. 

Was made in 1985, same age as my wife. I'm not answering which one I'd get rid of first!! 

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The Older Beretta's and Miroku's were better built and to a higher tolerance than modern versions.

Hence my comment it rules the 695 out! That may be the case but the new ones are still good guns and no way near the poor quality some would like to portray imho

8 hours ago, Westward said:

Neither has stand out finish quality as they're both built to a price but the bits that matter don't wear out or break very often.

Recent 69x series Berettas have the redesigned ejectors which appear to be trouble free so reliability isn't likely to be a deciding factor. The 695 sporters seem to be around 7 1/2 - 7 3/4lbs which is pretty light for a modern sporter. It also seems very expensive for bit of extra engraving and a wood upgrade. What about the 694? Proper sporting gun and the replacement for the hapless 692.

There's not much to choose quality wise so buy the one you like better. Personally I think there are better buys at that money than either but it's what you like that matters.

What better buys then? I’m Interested. 

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The Older Beretta's and Miroku's were better built and to a higher tolerance than modern versions.

I would say they put more manhours into them since they were not able to manufacture the parts to a high enough tolerances before.

Now that they can they also can automate more things so the guns are less handled at the factory and by lesser skilled people and it is up to the buyer to find things out instead.

/M

49 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

miroku.

i`ve owned both. still have the miroku.

Yep, bought my Miroku 800SW some 45 years ago and it’s had a few hundred thousand cartridges put through it and it’s never let me down, build guilty was excellent in the older guns, Japanese precision engineering.