Beretta vs Miroku ???.

samboy

53 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, bought my Miroku 800SW some 45 years ago and it’s had a few hundred thousand cartridges put through it and it’s never let me down, build guilty was excellent in the older guns, Japanese precision engineering.

I’ll bet that has a fabulous patina. 👍

Guest cookoff013

i cant fault it. the machining in it is amazing. its still tight like it was new. i greased the knuckles and i can open the top lever and the barrels dont drop. you can see a tiny amount of wear where its polished itself. in the knuckle

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’ll bet that has a fabulous patina. 👍

Well about 3 years ago I decided to give the gun a bit of a tidy up, had the stock cleaned, re-checkered and re-oiled, the barrels were re-blued as they were down to bare metal where I had been holding the barrel at the end of the forend plus the bluing was looking a little tired.

Its the 800sw model, 28inch barrels, think its what the called the field gun or sports gun, still have all the paper work so will have a look.

From my point of view being an engineer (retired) I was well impressed with the build quality and handling of the gun, don't know what the new Miroku’s are like today though.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well about 3 years ago I decided to give the gun a bit of a tidy up, had the stock cleaned, re-checkered and re-oiled, the barrels were re-blued as they were down to bare metal where I had been holding the barrel at the end of the forend plus the bluing was looking a little tired.

Its the 800sw model, 28inch barrels, think its what the called the field gun or sports gun, still have all the paper work so will have a look.

From my point of view being an engineer (retired) I was well impressed with the build quality and handling of the gun, don't know what the new Miroku’s are like today though.

I had a good hard look at one of these a few years ago. It was in almost mint condition, but so was a Winchester Field 101, and it was this I opted for, along with a mintish Winchester 1500 XTR. Still have them both. 
The similarities between the two models is surprising, which isn’t surprising as they hail from the same source. 
I see the occasional one pop up on here and GT, and never having owned a Miroku it’s an itch which will no doubt be scratched at some point. 
Happy shooting. 👍

16 hours ago, markm said:

What better buys then? I’m Interested. 

As you can see in this thread people get all wistful about the mostly imagined perception of quality back when the internals were hand finished forgings but modern investment castings and electronic inspection equipment means that guns are less costly to build, more uniform, cheaper to repair and just as reliable - as long as they don't tinker with the features (e.g. SV10 and 69X series). I've had 3 generations of Berettas going back 30 years and the first time I looked inside the forend of a CG I was amazed at the standard of fit and finish compared with any Beretta or Miroku I've ever owned or looked at closely. People may sneer at the way CG decided to use a modified version of the Rizzini action rather than a new design, but the standard of engineering, fit and finish puts the 2 guns mentioned here to shame. Add in the superb trigger pulls, wood quality, handling and ballistic performance and it's no surprise that many AA and AAA class sporting shooters are switching to CG. They've been around about 17 years now and have never had any ongoing issues or QA problems (cough... 692), so reliability and longevity are now pretty well established.

To answer you Q, either the CG Invictus or Blaser F16 can be had for similar money to the 695 or G5 Miroku sporter and whilst there are still a good many MK 38s still around the registered sporting circuit, CGs probably outnumber them now and frankly there are very few 6xx series Berettas.

16 hours ago, figgy said:

CG never had any issues? Really!!

So they didn't have soft metal and carp trigger sears. 

Not that I know of. There are however people who know someone who's brother in law works for this chap who shot game with a lad who knows a gunsmith that claimed the metal was soft even though he'd never actually seen one or was equipped to test steel hardness... And then of course it gets believed.

OTOH there are 2 sub forums on Shotgun world going back to at least 2007 and I've not seen any mention in there of soft metal or carp sears (whatever that means).

The reality is that a lot of people, me being one, assumed that when CGs came along they were just ordinary Rizzini action budget  guns with extra bling. Like many others I've since changed that view.

When 2 well known local AAA shooters choose to switch to CG Invictus models from "high end" guns and comment about how pleased they are and how well the guns pattern, I tend to think the naysayers and rumour mongers are just a bunch of saddos who need to get a proper life.

This was from a the fella on the stand at the Essex masters around five years ago now. Not from hearsay.  When asked about the faults and metals used. 

There have been threads on here over the years, where people have commented on their own guns faults. 

Yes the latest ones are well made, it was always the case.

Edited by figgy

On 30/07/2020 at 21:05, Westley said:

If you are buying a used grade 5, examine the wood closely, they are very prone to cracking. I know of 1 guy that had 3 stocks on his new Gd. 5 before he got one that did not crack  !  You really have to try BOTH guns to help you decide.

I have an old model miroku and I have been trying to get another for sometime . I have kept a very close eye on gun trader and gunstar for well over six months. What has really stood out is the amount of grade 5,s that have had crack repairs to both stock and forend. However dont think I have seen a grade 1 with the same cracking issue.

On 31/07/2020 at 10:42, cookoff013 said:

i cant fault it. the machining in it is amazing. its still tight like it was new. i greased the knuckles and i can open the top lever and the barrels dont drop. you can see a tiny amount of wear where its polished itself. in the knuckle

Whenever I have encountered a gun that "When opening the top lever and the barrels don't drop"  it is usually a firing pin penetrating the cartridge cap  !        :whistling: