Young buzzard

strimmer_13

Just found a young buzzard that cant fly off, should I do anything or leave it alone? I could easily catch it, doesn't seem injured at all, just unable or strong enough to fly. If he stays where he is the badgers of fox will have him before the night is out 

IMG_20200730_175929.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

He gos about 5 meters that's it. Just lying down gasping.

I've just placed  him up a tree about 8ft as raptor rescue phoned and said that should do it. 

I had a handle, no broken wings, nothing bad on the chest, just looked exhausted from the heat. Well ive given him a chance, I'll check the area in a few days and hopefully not find any remains 👍

IMG_20200730_184330.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

I won't be back till Sunday, if by a miracle he's not been eaten and still there, I'll bring him back and take him to a local falconer. 

I delt with owls for a fair few years, but they were all hand reared, and i hand fed the lot (with the scars too prove 😂) and spent a lot of free time with them, so I'm 100% confident it was heat exhausted from exposure. Just I've never faced this with a wild bird. 

Oh well we shall see what nature wants to do. 

If it is a youngster and his parent's are no longer feeding him (which I'd be surprised at given the time of year) then it could be heat exhaustion as he will be having to try to find food even in this heat when he should be sitting in a tree in the shade.  I think he is a youngster, a very light phase bird.

If he is injured and cannot fly then he will probably be dead through starvation or from being something's dinner.  Most common injury is a broken wing and vets will often just euthanize them.

Edited by Mickeydredd

Shall be there first thing in the morning, I work Saturdays unfortunately. No word from the farmer who I notified as well so maybe all is well. I hope so. 

Failing and its still looking bad and giving up I'll bring it back asap and take it to a dedicated raptor rescue, not that I don't trust the rspca, just a falconer is about 1/2 mile away and I'd say he's more clued up with hydrating it

Young birds like this often hit overhead wires when chasing prey

I took one like this to a Falconry Centre and the main flight feathers had been damaged this way.

By the way they do a routine x-ray to check for broken bones and lead shot

It took a full year before it fully recovered and was able to hunt

Edited by fern01

Well hit the rabbits at 6am then drove to where I last saw it. Walked around, had a extensive search with no sign of it, or any feathers. Checked all the sets and hedges nothing so hopefully it made it 👍

Badgers are wrecking the place tho, how the cows ain't broken to bits yet I'll never know 

Screenshot_20200802_151410_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200802_151408_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

If it was in a area where there was issues with livestock, and over run, I'd of shot them. I ain't a angel, but I'll keep a balance if I can. Eradicating ain't my cup of tea. Unless it's rats or squirrels. I let a Jay fly past today, I could of shot it, but chose not too, didnt see the point when it's the first one I've seen in years. 

As a side note since I was young we've had in our houses

1 fox. It stank. 

2/3 woodpigeons, 2 rooks and 2/3 crows, all pushed out from nests and made into pets. All called plop or widgie, very original. 

1 Swan (which we rehabilitated for 6 months from being shot, then it was found shot dead this time). 

Tawny, little and barn owls, merlins, kestrels and herons (scar on my head from him). Think we might of had a sparrow hawk at some point too. Loads more but I cant be ***** to argue my point anymore.