Advice on manual flapper

Please excuse my ignorance, can anyone tell me the best way to set up my manual pigeon flapper? It's a Sportplast pigeon decoy with flapping wings (manual cord pull). I got it yesterday from Uttings and hope to use it on Monday. Also can anyone recommend some good but cheap decoys?

Cheers everyone

I assume this has plastic wings and heavy nylon line through the body that pulled down flaps them. If so I use to mount mine about 18” off the ground using and adapted piece of copper pipe and rune a non stretch line to the hide. I put a strong tent peg in below the the decoy to get most effect when pulling the line.

i used to site mine at the front of the landing zone so birds would follow it in.

cant help on cheap decoys as mine are all home made.

2 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I assume this has plastic wings and heavy nylon line through the body that pulled down flaps them. If so I use to mount mine about 18” off the ground using and adapted piece of copper pipe and rune a non stretch line to the hide. I put a strong tent peg in below the the decoy to get most effect when pulling the line.

i used to site mine at the front of the landing zone so birds would follow it in.

cant help on cheap decoys as mine are all home made.

Thanks for the reply Dave, yes it's a plastic one with nylon fishing line through it, stupidly I cut the nylon when I opened the box. Like you I plan to use it to bring them into the landing zone when I set it up at the front.  

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

you may need to break the wings before you mount the bird on it............put a picture up of it ..

I will put a pic up, good Idea ditchman 

I found when using something similar that a spiral dog tether is the best thing to run the string through to change its direction as it dont move if you can get it in the ground - I also cobbled together a foot pedal - if you are brave you can heat the wings up and bend them so they pick up on the wind more - with a good wind and setting them at the right angle you can sometimes get enough movement not to bother pulling the string at all. You might need to just ease the slots the wings go in to as it makes the up and down movement easier, you can also attach some wheel balancing leads to balance the wings a bit - it all makes for more movement for less effort.

I tried braid but it picks up a lot of crud and tangles easily - in the end I settled on the orange plastic builders twine as having not too much stretch.

Split pin through hole in awful white pole, the spring will give you the action and return each time you pull the string.

Decoy will sit in to hole at top of pole, beware, too rigorous a pull and it may well jump out! Takes practice to get it just right.

I would paint the pole a better colour.

Good luck, get out and practice with it.

put the sportsplast version amongst the  enforcers today, used 30lb breaking strain I had spare which pulled ok , put it out at about 25 yds it flapped o k but I must admit  it did looked strange standing about a foot above the rest , the first pigeon came without a care in the world so it couldn't have looked to bad, it did feel a bit ancient pulling that nylon , but that is what I used in the early days, but it did make me laugh , talk about tight lines , I thought that was in fishing.

• 4 months later...

I still have an original WAGBI/Semark dead bird flapper. I use sections of broom handle cut to various lengths to suit the crop. I then screw 'eyes' (as in hook and eye) into the pole to direct the line downwards and then a fishing 'snap' swivel. The line (white builders line) has a ring on the end which attaches to the swivel. 1 dead bird, break wings and place on framework. Spring paper clips attach the wings to the arms. Job done.