Dremel Tool

billytheghillie

Yes, feeling like I was the last person on the planet to buy a Dremel I picked one up on BlackFriday 2019:

https://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/dremel®8220-715-ocs-p/ plus one of these https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/4486-dremel-chuck

It is so useful, from polishing the kitchen taps to cutting flimsy bits of plastic pipe or drilling pilot holes with small drills....to think of all the years I struggled without one.  I paid about £110, battery life/torque is excellent.

I had a cheap imitation (think it must have been Lidl or Aldi) for several years, until it eventually died, then bought a genuine Dremel.   Handy thing to have on occasions, but I have hardly used it since I acquired a tiny 3" angle grinder (Katsu, £25), which is far more powerful.   There was a collet supplied with the Katsu, so it ought to do many of the same jobs as a Dremel, but to date I have only used the grinding/cutting disc.

I have an old Dremel.  Pretty good when needed, but a bit small and lacking power for most things.  Tools/bits (genuine) can be very pricy, but generally not bad quality.  Cheap (non genuine) tools can vary between fine and useless.

Bought a 'better' electronic speed control Dremel (400?) - burned out in half an hour. Replaced under warranty - replacement burned out.  Replaced again - that burned out. 

Gave up and went back to the old one - which still goes fine, but I doubt I would but another.

Bought a cheap B&Q one with loads of tools for about £20 years ago and it worked fine for ages, until I upgraded to a Dremel with flexi attachment. You can definitely feel the quality difference.

Aldi tend to sell tool selection kits from time to time and they are great value compared to genuine Dremel.

I use them professionally, the copy cat mains tools are fine, I would avoid the battery powered ones, if you want cordless, get dremel. 

At home, i love my dremel, used to use it a lot, but now I have invested in a bigger compressor it's air tools all the way.... 😁

One note of caution. Don't bother with cheap imitation fittings and consumables, buy the genuine dremel stuff, everything else is rubbish. 

If your going to put it to good use then forget the Dremel and get a Foredom pendant grinder. Even the Chinese version on ebay is better than a Dremel. I have one with the footswitch and always done what I asked it to. the flexi attachment has a small chuck inside a comfortable ally hand piece not a collet, that you invariably need to change and lose when it drops on the floor.