Might change my log-in name...

Dave-G

... To Plonker! - yep with the exclamation mark. :oops:

Went out to the local golf course after midnight - I like to be fairly confident any dog walkers and courting couples will have gone by then. 

Set up the wireless magnetic thermal spotter, sorted out the door mirror 'accessory' for the fore-stock rest, got the rifle out the bag then couldn't find the bag with my bullets, bolt and magazine in. :ermm:

It was left on top the cabinet after locking it up. DOH.

38 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

That must have been rather frustrating! Although always another opportunity 👍🏻

Yes, I consoled myself with being out and got a few bunnies used to seeing a red LED torch focused at them with no consequence as training for when they see an Infra Red laser beam. 

Edited by Dave-G

That is not as bad as my cock up. You live relatively close to your shooting spot. I had an invite to shoot a potential gold medal roe buck on an area where just to get an invite is like being knighted by the Queen. Drove 100 miles, perfect morning and discovered I didn't have the bolt for my rifle.  DOH doesn't cover that situation.:mad:

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Was beating on a shoot up here the guns walked out to there pegs not a single cartridge between them and these where chemists supposed to be brainy people 

And what about the loader I saw season before last who walked a quarter mile to the pegs without cartridges! 😂😂. Bit like me as a picker up leaving the dogs in the truck.

I shoot 16g and 20g guns for my pigeon shooting and have on one occasion taken out a 20g and a bag full of 16g cartridges :whistling:

Not wishing to be caught out again, I colour code the strap of my cartridge bags, yellow for 20g and blue for 16g.

However, I did manage to pick up my duck shooting 16g Bismuth cartridges in yet another bag not noticing 'Bismuth' written on the blue tape and took it pigeon shooting. At over a pound a throw, my kills to cartridges has never been bettered. It's surprising what a little frugality and choosing easier shots can do for one's marksmanship.

OB

We all cock-up sooner or later. I used to think I was infallible, but fatherhood and ageing has proven me wrong. I've gone fishing twice without my fishing rods. Fortunately, both times were a quick fix. There's quite a few stories from this part of the world where people have literally climbed a mountain with ropes, ice axes and crampons etc to hunt tahr, only to realise they have left their rifle bolt at home!

Yep I think if anyone who shoots rifles says they've never done something similar is fibbing.

I went up to my main permission before lockdown to have a crack at the bunnies .

F/FWD get to the keepers house have a brew & a chat and ask where he'd start go get the .22 bruno out of car to put in the kubota and yep I forgot the bolt .... so my mate (the keeper) went and got the bolt out of his bruno and it fitted and worked a treat and as an added bonus he gave me 150 winnie subs (the estate pays for his ammo) ..... couple of hours drive around and 32 bunnies later I called it a night and returned the bolt & kubota and came home to sort the bunnies for the fridge /freezer

Just thinking about it I brought a wrath scope just after Xmas zeroed it up said to missis going out on the bunnies drove 18 miles I had for got ifr light for seeing in the dark drove back home kicking myself all the way it want happen again ifr in gun bag along with spare batteries 

7 hours ago, Dave-G said:

... To Plonker! - yep with the exclamation mark. 

Went out to the local golf course after midnight - I like to be fairly confident any dog walkers and courting couples will have gone by then. 

Set up the wireless magnetic thermal spotter, sorted out the door mirror 'accessory' for the fore-stock rest, got the rifle out the bag then couldn't find the bag with my bullets, bolt and magazine in. 

It was left on top the cabinet after locking it up. DOH.

Love it, I keep spare pellets and magazines in the car, but you can do that with an air rifle.

It's not because I've ever forgotten the pellets 🙄🙄

@Dave-GDon't be so direct, go for Rodney.

Not directly linked to this topic but not really worth a thread of it's own, I had an amusing moment yesterday. I was down at the range, just messing about really, taking pot shots at a variety of targets. Decided to switch from the paper target I'd been shooting and hit some hanging metal targets. Hit a couple of the bigger ones and set them swinging  then had a shot at the smallest one, about half the size of a playing card. Nothing happened. I shot it again. Same result, no movement at all.

Switched target to a reactive target a little further out but of similar size and saw holes appear in it. Switched back to the hanger had another couple of shots but still no movement. With the magazine now empty I put down the rifle and went to the spotting scope. It was only then that I noticed that either through wear and tear, or maybe someone blasting the target with a higher caliber bullet than the target is really meant for that there was a large hole in the centre of the hanger. :/

3 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

@Dave-GDon't be so direct, go for Rodney.

Not directly linked to this topic but not really worth a thread of it's own, I had an amusing moment yesterday. I was down at the range, just messing about really, taking pot shots at a variety of targets. Decided to switch from the paper target I'd been shooting and hit some hanging metal targets. Hit a couple of the bigger ones and set them swinging  then had a shot at the smallest one, about half the size of a playing card. Nothing happened. I shot it again. Same result, no movement at all.

Switched target to a reactive target a little further out but of similar size and saw holes appear in it. Switched back to the hanger had another couple of shots but still no movement. With the magazine now empty I put down the rifle and went to the spotting scope. It was only then that I noticed that either through wear and tear, or maybe someone blasting the target with a higher caliber bullet than the target is really meant for that there was a large hole in the centre of the hanger. 

Ive been practising shooting off sticks this week with a 2 inch Hardox gong. Decided to hang it out on an old electric fence post. Didn't have any chain but found some 3 core electrical cable, that'll do I thought. First shot smacked it like a sledgehammer, the wire snapped and the target went winging off onto next week! 

4 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Ive been practising shooting off sticks this week with a 2 inch Hardox gong. Decided to hang it out on an old electric fence post. Didn't have any chain but found some 3 core electrical cable, that'll do I thought. First shot smacked it like a sledgehammer, the wire snapped and the target went winging off onto next week! 

lol, That conjures up a wonderful mental image. I can almost hear the swearing too.

2 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

lol, That conjures up a wonderful mental image. I can almost hear the swearing too.

😂 Fortunately it had only cost me £2.50 so it didn't hurt too much. Hopefully it went straight, stayed in the same field, landed yellow side up and the farmer will silage it again before the winter and I'll be able to find it! 

On 01/08/2020 at 18:40, Benthejockey said:

😂 Fortunately it had only cost me £2.50 so it didn't hurt too much. Hopefully it went straight, stayed in the same field, landed yellow side up and the farmer will silage it again before the winter and I'll be able to find it! 

My father and aunt used to borrow my grandads old single shot 22lr and shoot 2p coins off the back of the garden when they were younger. They used a fencepost with a wee groove to hold the coins. 50ft at a 2p coin with iron sights is good going. My aunt used to cost them a bit because she hit more than she missed