Advice on position

flyeruk

Presuming your ok to drop shot in the fields to the felt of the photo .?

I would set up in the middle of the field with my back to the road about 60 yards out from the hedge .that way it makes it too hard to swing right round and shoot over the road . The 60 yds gives you enough didtance not to scare or endanger any road users (think horses and cyclists ) and also gives you room to drop any high birds in the field behind you and not on the road . 

I would look at a low hide with a roof and plenty of cut foliage to make it look like a bush  .

Went up about 12.00.They were coming in from the top right hand corner,and landing pretty much in the middle.

I looked at all options,apart from setting up in the middle,dont have enough nets etc for that.

I decided in the end,the position I would need to be,just wasn't viable.

Decided not to bother in the end as has been said,not worth the risk and don't want to lose my permission from any complaints The road is busy and there's a car park opposite which was fill with walkers etc.

I'm going to wait for the other fields to be cut  i have 800 acres on my perm,so will just have to be patient. 

Went up and had a look at 8am this morning.20200807_095413.jpg.1f1cd8286378c13e2bd6b7b556beed80.jpgThey are coming in from the top right hsnd corner and landing in the tree half way down the left hand side.

They are then feeding  where the 29yard pin is situated.

Thinking of setting up at the top left hand corner.

Problem is,I had an operation on my wrist on Monday,had a lesion removed and now have 13 stitches in my wrist.

Not going to be able to do any shooting till early next week so hoping they are still around.

**** law but nothing I can do Very frustrating to say the least!!

Edited by flyeruk

On 01/08/2020 at 10:43, Ultrastu said:

Presuming your ok to drop shot in the fields to the felt of the photo .?

I would set up in the middle of the field with my back to the road about 60 yards out from the hedge .that way it makes it too hard to swing right round and shoot over the road . The 60 yds gives you enough didtance not to scare or endanger any road users (think horses and cyclists ) and also gives you room to drop any high birds in the field behind you and not on the road . 

I would look at a low hide with a roof and plenty of cut foliage to make it look like a bush  .

I would tend to agree, except I wouldn't have a roof or try to make the hide look like a Bush.

On 01/08/2020 at 20:05, flyeruk said:

Went up about 12.00.They were coming in from the top right hand corner,and landing pretty much in the middle.

I looked at all options,apart from setting up in the middle,dont have enough nets etc for that.

I decided in the end,the position I would need to be,just wasn't viable.

Decided not to bother in the end as has been said,not worth the risk and don't want to lose my permission from any complaints The road is busy and there's a car park opposite which was fill with walkers etc.

I'm going to wait for the other fields to be cut  i have 800 acres on my perm,so will just have to be patient. 

You really could do with investing in more nets. Shooting in the middle of a field is often the best place. 

The roof is for 3 reasons .

First is stops pigeons and especially crows seeing u  from above .

Second it provides shade on hot days .Third it stops your head bobbing about above the net for any walkers /road users  to see you and wonder .

A roof if positioned just right still allows you to take upward shots up to around 45 degree with your seat rearwards under the net .

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2020 at 15:54, flyeruk said:

Hopefully they will be around at the beginning of next week.Very frustrating not being able to get out there now.

A week will soon pass bud, I had 2nd opp on my spine last week , won't be able to get out there for several weeks, that's frustrating 😭