William Powell tool

eddoakley

Like anything with limited supply, it is 'worth' what someone is prepared to pay for it.  As a collector (horological items), scarcity is the driver.  I have been to several auctions in the last couple of years dispersing the 'estate' collections from past collectors - with some very scarce items amongst the many relatively common items.

Where there is a scarce item and two or more people after it - they know that it may be many years before they get another chance, so are prepared to 'dig deep' and things may make high four figure, or even low five figure sums.  'Routine' items (such as those where there are always a smattering listed on 'on line' auction sites) make a few tens of pounds.

There are often things that appear listed on auction sites with high starting prices.  They rarely sell.  Where the same items are listed with a low start price, there is usually brisk bidding until a 'market value' is achieved with reflects the condition and rarity.

Back to the Powell knife; these were sold by Powells from the Carrs Lane premises and their (wide circulation) catalogue, for some years.  I doubt they were sold anywhere else.  Powells catalogue (for those who don't remember) was quite advanced in it's heyday.  It had been produced from the 1960's I think, initially probably revised every 2 years and sent out by post, and handed out in the Carr's Lane shop.  It was quite a substantial paperback book style publication with black and white photos, some done themselves.  Starting probably early 1980s they began to have a magazine sized 'glossy' catalogue that was inserted in the Shooting Times, the Field etc.

Some pictures of copies I have below;

727E5D9C-6547-4FC9-961A-A398DE9052B8_1_201_a.jpeg

Later versions

76E5A1A0-3029-4D6C-89A3-61DC9F1D9451_1_105_c.jpeg