Howa 1500 (308)

steve_b_wales

I took my new rifle up the farm earlier to see if I could zero the scope. I used PPU 168gr factory ammunition. But, after each shot, I had to 'bump' the bolt back to eject the case/s as they were tight. I've never come across this before in other new rifles, I've purchased. I'm not sure where to go from here?

I did manage to zero it at 100 yards with the factory ammunition. 

EDIT: According to a few people on the Howa 1500 Facebook site, they reckon that the PPU ammo' is rubbish, and one said that the brass is too thin and is over expanding.

Edited by steve_b_wales

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will need to check that Steve. I had a similar experience on Thursday. My Parker Hale was tight to lift the bolt after firing but once lifted drew back fine. The P14 had no such problems with the same ammo. I put it down to temp, 33° and pressure creeping up. 

27 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Will need to check that Steve. I had a similar experience on Thursday. My Parker Hale was tight to lift the bolt after firing but once lifted drew back fine. The P14 had no such problems with the same ammo. I put it down to temp, 33° and pressure creeping up. 

The bolt lifted okay after firing, but would not pull back to eject the case. As mentioned, I had to bump it hard a few times to eject the case. I've ordered 100 Lapua cases which I hope will solve the problem. 

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

I've never had a problem with ejecting on my .308 Howa. I've only used GGG ammo though.

I've been given a load of GGG cases and have removed the primer and reprimed.

1 hour ago, Mr.C said:

I got some bought GGG that I I'll try but Lapua cases may be in my next reloading purchase. 

I've gone and ordered 100 Lapua cases today. Good price too compared to some retailers.

Only handled a couple of those Howas belonging to friends, both 243s and not noticed anything amiss. Both shot very well, seemed nice rifle for the money.  Sticky cases usual means over pressure or an anomaly in the chamber wall (rare but I have seen it a couple of times) polished out and problem solved.

Edited by Walker570

10 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

How strange, I’ve easily done 500 through mine - must just be slightly looser machining on mine perhaps. There’s a few others on here with the same rifle so interesting to see what the consensus is

I've ordered Lapua cases and I'm also being sent a load of Remington ones as well. I'll reload a few of both and test them in the near future.

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

PPU is not usually a problem. We have used thousands, next thing to try is felt tip pen on the cases to check for areas of tightness.

It might just be machining marks on the inside of the chamber.

I haven't checked the used PPU cases yet, Vince, but will do so later. As you mentioned, PPU is not usually a problem. I've used them in .22-250 and .243 with no issues. As I mentioned earlier, the factory ammo' appears okay when chambered, and the bolt extracts the (non fire) round with no problems. The problem is after the round has been fired. With regards to different makes of cases, I've got the GGG ones off you, I've been given 10 'CBC' ones to reload and try. I'm also being sent some Remington cases and have ordered Lapua as well. If none of these work, then the rifle is going back!

29 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I haven't checked the used PPU cases yet, Vince, but will do so later. As you mentioned, PPU is not usually a problem. I've used them in .22-250 and .243 with no issues. As I mentioned earlier, the factory ammo' appears okay when chambered, and the bolt extracts the (non fire) round with no problems. The problem is after the round has been fired. With regards to different makes of cases, I've got the GGG ones off you, I've been given 10 'CBC' ones to reload and try. I'm also being sent some Remington cases and have ordered Lapua as well. If none of these work, then the rifle is going back!

22 minutes ago, London Best said:

This would worry me!

If it were my rifle I would not fire any more of those PPU rounds and would send the rest off for pressure testing. Are there any signs of over pressure around the primers?

I've just checked the spent cases and there is no sign of over pressure around the primers, or any extraction marks around the case neck. I don't intend using the ones I have left.

UPDATE.

I went up the farm this morning to try the rifle again. I had one round of SAKO factory ammunition, a few CBC cased homeloads (returned to factory spec') and some Lapua homeloads. The first I fired was the SAKO, and it jammed when trying to extract it. The second was the CBC, with the same result, but with the Lapua, it cycled the cases with no problems. I really don't understand this at all. I'm happy to reload using Lapua cases and nothing else, but why should I? In the very unlikely event that I would need to purchase a box of factory ammunition, I could not guarantee that the cases, whatever the make, would cycle after firing. I shouldn't have to put up with this of course, and if need be, the rifle will be returned. But, apart from getting it replaced, I would also have to get it removed off my FAC and then apply for another one! :angry:

** I've just been in touch with the supplier, who requested that I try a few different brands of ammunition first (I'm going to do this on Sunday) and if there's still a problem, they will arrange to pick up the rifle, and return it (I think) to their supplier so that a 'few adjustments' can be made to it. As long as I don't have to change it for a new one, with all the hassle involved, then I'm happy (?) with that.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I would return the rifle regardless of the ammunition used. I put several manufacturers ammo through my Howa 1500 and never had an extraction problem. It preferred Hornady least by about 1/4moa but otherwise was fine with several other makes. I think Walker570 has it that you may have a manufacturing fault. What a pita for you.

1 hour ago, 243deer said:

I would return the rifle regardless of the ammunition used. I put several manufacturers ammo through my Howa 1500 and never had an extraction problem. It preferred Hornady least by about 1/4moa but otherwise was fine with several other makes. I think Walker570 has it that you may have a manufacturing fault. What a pita for you.

I agree. All makes of cases chamber and fire okay, it's when they expand is the problem. I will try again on the range on Sunday.

Edited by steve_b_wales

chamber might need a polish with a reamer ,possible tolerance issue.

had a new unfired surplus bren in 7.92 years ago that had ejection issues.

use to rip the base of the case off if you turn the gas port to high.

gunsmith reamed the chamber then it worked like a champ.

had to hand it over 2 years later when the law changed.

23 hours ago, Remimax said:

chamber might need a polish with a reamer ,possible tolerance issue.

had a new unfired surplus bren in 7.92 years ago that had ejection issues.

use to rip the base of the case off if you turn the gas port to high.

gunsmith reamed the chamber then it worked like a champ.

had to hand it over 2 years later when the law changed.

Well, I've decided. Sod trying any more different makes of ammunition, only to see them jammed again. It's going back to the supplier, who, then in turn will send it back to Highland Outdoors. I'm only hoping that they can get this sorted and I don't have to have a new rifle. That would cause one hell of a delay - taking the rifle off my ticket and then applying for a 1-1 variation. I know it's not the fault of the RFD I bought it off, or even Highland Outdoors, but I'm still ****** annoyed!!!!!!!!!!

On 01/08/2020 at 21:35, Walker570 said:

Only handled a couple of those Howas belonging to friends, both 243s and not noticed anything amiss. Both shot very well, seemed nice rifle for the money.  Sticky cases usual means over pressure or an anomaly in the chamber wall (rare but I have seen it a couple of times) polished out and problem solved.

I've checked all fired cases for signs of over pressure or any marks on them, and nothing. As I mentioned above, it's going back!

good chance your chamber has been machined with dulled /blunt finishing reamer hence its a bit snug and hanging on to ya cases.

could be wrong but if your case length is good and no overpressure showing on yer primers can't think of anything else it could be.

not a big deal and a quick easy fix for a gunsmith with the correct tooling.

Edited by Remimax