Howa 1500 (308)

steve_b_wales

UPDATE:

I cleaned the chamber again and give it a good scrubbing. I went up the farm, tried a PPU match, and it jammed on extraction, but only slightly. I had to bump the bolt slightly, not as hard as before. My homeloads (Lapua new cases) were excellent. I've just purchased a box of WInchester ammunition, to try later in the week. If these don't extract properly, then the rifle is going to be returned.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I use Winchester in my 223 but I had 5-600 used cases .

i use lapua in my 243 . Did anyway 🙄. I will continue if I get them back 

I've got a few 100 GGG cases that, hopefully, I will be able to reload with no extraction issues. I'm tempted though to purchase another 100 Lapua cases to go with the 100 I've got now. 

I bet if you remove the extractor claw the problem will disappear, obviously you will need to tap the case out with a cleaning rod, but it will show you were the problem lies.  Howa seem to have a lot of issues with the extractor. 

Edited by Dougy

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

I bet if you remove the extractor claw the problem will disappear, obviously you will need to tap the case out with a cleaning rod, but it will show you were the problem lies.  Howa seem to have a lot of issues with the extractor. 

Never had a problem with the extractor claw on my .204 Ruger, and haven't heard anything about issues with them. I'm going to add a bit of grease to it and will test the rifle again with the Winchester factory loads, later in the week.

On 11/08/2020 at 08:48, steve_b_wales said:

Never had a problem with the extractor claw on my .204 Ruger, and haven't heard anything about issues with them. I'm going to add a bit of grease to it and will test the rifle again with the Winchester factory loads, later in the week.

Never heard of, and never had an issue with my extractor 🤷‍♂️ had an issue with pierced primers with Geco ammo but that was an ammo and not rifle fault. 

Another Update!!!

Well, after cleaning the chamber and trying a PPU match factory round, and finding that it did eject, although I had to bump the bolt back slightly, I thought I would try a different brand (again) to see if it would be okay. I purchased a box of Winchester ammunition (£30) and went up the farm earlier to try them. The first round jammed solid in the chamber and it took some hard bumping of the bolt to remove the case. I've now got 19 rounds of ammo' that I didn't even want in the first place. I am totally peed off with this rifle now and will soon be arranging to get it collected and sent back to the supplier, and then back to the importer, who, I may add, haven't even bothered to reply to two of my emails! As much I have no looks at all on the rifle, I would be happy for someone to sort the problem out and return it to me. What I don't want if possible, is o have a replacement rifle and go through all the hassle and delay in getting this one taken off my certificate and then getting a 1-1 variation added to obtain the replacement.

Watch this space!

Your RFD should be sorting you out with some credit as well - you have incurred considerable out of pocket expenses doing all the testing that they should have offered to do - up to the RFD to claim that back from their supplier - might not be RFD's fault but as the end supplier it is their responsibility. 

10 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Your RFD should be sorting you out with some credit as well - you have incurred considerable out of pocket expenses doing all the testing that they should have offered to do - up to the RFD to claim that back from their supplier - might not be RFD's fault but as the end supplier it is their responsibility. 

I agree. I know that if it had gone back straight away to the supplier, they would have then sent it to the importers (Highland Outdoors) which I may add, haven't bothered to to reply to my email, where I asked them if they had the rifle back, would they just replace it ( I would think so) or would/could they get a gunsmith to try and sort it out. There's a brilliant gunsmith local to me, who I spoke to yesterday. He said that he could look at it, and 'probably' sort out the issue, but he said that my warranty would then be void. To be honest, I was tempted to take it to him to look at, pay him for any work done and say nothing to the supplier/importer. I am already out of pocket, as you've mentioned. 

If you went the gunsmith route at least the work would be done by someone you trust so I can see the temptation. Somewhat disappointing that Highland Outdoors have been slow to respond - you would have thought that they would have jumped all over this type of issue because properly handled you would give them thousands of pounds worth of positive advertising. Poorly handled of course and it will affect their sales. Have you tried calling them in case your messages went into their spam filter - 0345 099 0252

2 hours ago, 243deer said:

If you went the gunsmith route at least the work would be done by someone you trust so I can see the temptation. Somewhat disappointing that Highland Outdoors have been slow to respond - you would have thought that they would have jumped all over this type of issue because properly handled you would give them thousands of pounds worth of positive advertising. Poorly handled of course and it will affect their sales. Have you tried calling them in case your messages went into their spam filter - 0345 099 0252

Highland Outdoors have just replied to my email!  They stated, quite right I suppose, that until they receive the rifle, they can't comment on what will happen next. They did say though, that depending on the issue, it will be repaired or replaced. I replied that I would be more than happy to get it repaired. I have now contacted the supplier who in turn, will contact Highland Outdoors, and they will arrange to collect the rifle from my RFD friend.

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Another Update!!!

Well, after cleaning the chamber and trying a PPU match factory round, and finding that it did eject, although I had to bump the bolt back slightly, I thought I would try a different brand (again) to see if it would be okay. I purchased a box of Winchester ammunition (£30) and went up the farm earlier to try them. The first round jammed solid in the chamber and it took some hard bumping of the bolt to remove the case. I've now got 19 rounds of ammo' that I didn't even want in the first place. I am totally peed off with this rifle now and will soon be arranging to get it collected and sent back to the supplier, and then back to the importer, who, I may add, haven't even bothered to reply to two of my emails! As much I have no looks at all on the rifle, I would be happy for someone to sort the problem out and return it to me. What I don't want if possible, is o have a replacement rifle and go through all the hassle and delay in getting this one taken off my certificate and then getting a 1-1 variation added to obtain the replacement.

Watch this space!

What ammo is the Winchester Steve? I might have them to try in my rifle 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

Interestingly I spoke to my mate Chris today and he had the same problem with a Howa .223 a few years back. He said they "skimmed" his chamber and it was fine after that.

That's what I'm hoping they'll do Vince. I would prefer that, than getting a new one and going through all the hassle of a 1-1 variation. It's going to be picked up next Monday/Tuesday and taken straight back to Highland Outdoors.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

It's Power Point 150gr Lloyd. I wouldn't normally use 150 gr, preferring 168 or heavier, but as it was only for checking the rifle, I went for it. I'll PM you

Have a look on the box and see if it says where it was made. If it says Europe its S&B  If is says Mexico its CBC (Magtech) but they are still S&B cases  

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Highland Outdoors are replacing my rifle. I don't think they've actually investigated the problem, as they received it one day and emailed me the next. Anyway, my FAC is being taken to the south Wales police headquarters this afternoon, where it will be personally attended to by the excellent staff member who has helped me out no end so far. Hopefully, it will be turned around very quickly.

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

Highland Outdoors are replacing my rifle. I don't think they've actually investigated the problem, as they received it one day and emailed me the next. Anyway, my FAC is being taken to the south Wales police headquarters this afternoon, where it will be personally attended to by the excellent staff member who has helped me out no end so far. Hopefully, it will be turned around very quickly.

:good: Hope it all works out.