Howa 1500 (308)

steve_b_wales

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/08/2020 at 12:25, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

Highland Outdoors are replacing my rifle. I don't think they've actually investigated the problem, as they received it one day and emailed me the next. Anyway, my FAC is being taken to the south Wales police headquarters this afternoon, where it will be personally attended to by the excellent staff member who has helped me out no end so far. Hopefully, it will be turned around very quickly.

Fair play, 

I have found other Police forces very helpful when I’ve had a need for a variation when I needed to collect a rifle off family of a mate that died. They pushed mine to the top of the pile once I explained the situation. 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Fair play, 

I have found other Police forces very helpful when I’ve had a need for a variation when I needed to collect a rifle off family of a mate that died. They pushed mine to the top of the pile once I explained the situation. 

Personally speaking, I have always had a good service from S.Wales police. I have heard others who haven't been so lucky, but I'm not complaining. 

On 30/08/2020 at 13:55, steve_b_wales said:

Personally speaking, I have always had a good service from S.Wales police. I have heard others who haven't been so lucky, but I'm not complaining. 

My replacement rifle will be with the RFD on Thursday, and I'll be picking it up on Friday morning. According to Highland Outdoors, they said that they had polished the chamber and it now cycles well. I asked if they had actually fired it, using a factory round, and they said no. Then they said that the chamber is tight anyway and the rifle would have been very accurate (?) and also said that homeloads are better as they are fire formed to the chamber, and that's why mine cycled with no issues. I pointed out that although I tested it with homeloads, they were new and not once fired! I mentioned that they were new Lapua cases and the reply was that 'they' are made slightly smaller to fit any chamber, unlike factory loaded ammo'. I replied that factory loaded ammunition should fit any chamber it's made for! 

I'm just hoping that the replacement rifle doesn't have the same issues.

'Watch this space'!

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I mentioned that they were new Lapua cases and the reply was that 'they' are made slightly smaller to fit any chamber, unlike factory loaded ammo'. I replied that factory loaded ammunition should fit any chamber it's made for!

I had a similar problem with my .308 when it was new, also with the PPU rounds. Some would not chamber and the RFD was unable to help. I eventually discovered SAAMI guidlines mean a .308 rifle has to have a minimum chamber headspace of 41.40mm but a 308 case could have a headspace up to 41.50mm. So a maximum length round will not fit into a rifle with a minimum length chamber. I also gather the firing pin on a new rifle can also stick out slightly making it hard to chamber a long round. The Lapua brass may well have a shorter headspace and a sizing die may well size the brass to the minimum length. I've never had any problem with them.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem as I don't understand why they will not extract after firing.

2 hours ago, Windswept said:

I had a similar problem with my .308 when it was new, also with the PPU rounds. Some would not chamber and the RFD was unable to help. I eventually discovered SAAMI guidlines mean a .308 rifle has to have a minimum chamber headspace of 41.40mm but a 308 case could have a headspace up to 41.50mm. So a maximum length round will not fit into a rifle with a minimum length chamber. I also gather the firing pin on a new rifle can also stick out slightly making it hard to chamber a long round. The Lapua brass may well have a shorter headspace and a sizing die may well size the brass to the minimum length. I've never had any problem with them.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem as I don't understand why they will not extract after firing.

As I mentioned before, I had no problem chambering any round, home load or factory, it was only after firing factory rounds I couldn't eject the case. I am hoping that all will be okay with the replacement one. 

Have you been in contact with the manufacturer, is that possible? Would have thought they would want to know as it won't be doing their reputation any good if it's a common fault.

Guess see what the next one is like. 

Edited by Mr.C

25 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Have you been in contact with the manufacturer, is that possible? Would have thought they would want to know as it won't be doing their reputation any good if it's a common fault.

Guess see what the next one is like. 

The manufacturer is in Japan. They are exported to the USA then imported to the UK. I have been in contact with a guy who works for the USA importers, who is interested in what's been happening.

16 minutes ago, Windswept said:

As mentioned I wouldn't rule out the fact you can't use PPU in the rifle and neither is at fault. A quick google shows up similar problems, one suggestion if it happens again is to let the rifle cool and see if the case is easier to extract.

I have read that PPU factory ammunition is not suitable for some rifles, but I also tried Sako, Hornady, Norma and Winchester, and each one jammed in the chamber after firing. Leaving the rifle to cool is not an option, especially if I'm out after Fox's etc.

4 hours ago, Windswept said:

I didn't mean put up with having to let it cool but just trying one or two to try and find out what is wrong.

Good luck with the new rifle, hopefully it'll sort the issue.

I realised that. The problem is, it jammed after only one shot from a cold barrel/chamber. All will be revealed etc when I try the replacement rifle on Friday or Sunday. IF there is the same problem, then I don't know what to do. I can either keep it and just use homeloads, which I intend doing anyway, and don't intend ever selling the rifle, or just ask for a refund and buy a different make, which I don't really want to do.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I realised that. The problem is, it jammed after only one shot from a cold barrel/chamber. All will be revealed etc when I try the replacement rifle on Friday or Sunday. IF there is the same problem, then I don't know what to do. I can either keep it and just use homeloads, which I intend doing anyway, and don't intend ever selling the rifle, or just ask for a refund and buy a different make, which I don't really want to do.

You've just been unlucky, once the problem is sorted, you will not be disappointed with the rifle.

Just hope Highland Outdoors have checked the replacement before sending it out 🤞

Just now, Newbie to this said:

You've just been unlucky, once the problem is sorted, you will not be disappointed with the rifle.

Just hope Highland Outdoors have checked the replacement before sending it out 🤞

As mentioned earlier, I doubt very much that they have checked the replacement. Speaking to one of their staff yesterday, and he was of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with the rifle and couldn't see why a replacement was being sent! The only way to check if the replacement is okay, is to fire a factory round through it, and I truly believe this hasn't been done. They didn't even do this with the one I sent back, just so that I could prove what I told them. 

I've got a Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger and I'm very pleased with it, hence the reason I wanted one in .308.

my howa .308 has been nothing but a pain in the ***.... its a howa bravo.

haven't had the issue you had and it will shoot ppu ok but it grouped like a shotgun.

so I checked everything was tight and did some reloads got it down to 1.5inch groups. Then had a trigger job done and crown checked and muzzle break made.  gunsmith who did the work found the ally mount block didn't grip the barrel enough at the front and aloud sideways movement so he machined it out which then pulled the barrel down. so spoken to krg who sent a new mount. I ended up doing a devcon bed job on it all to stop movement. ive now got it shooting less than .5" at 100yrds with the reloads turns out it likes a 40thou jump to lands and 45grain n140.

so done a batch of ammo to get it zeroed up sunday for it to throw the first round 5" to the right. checked the gun and found the Audere pst scope mount cracked should be called Odear.

back to the shop and now it has a set of burris xtr mounts.

try my luck with them.

don't think ill buy another howa... Tikka again from now on.

Edited by SPARKIE

38 minutes ago, SPARKIE said:

my howa .308 has been nothing but a pain in the ***.... its a howa bravo.

haven't had the issue you had and it will shoot ppu ok but it grouped like a shotgun.

so I checked everything was tight and did some reloads got it down to 1.5inch groups. Then had a trigger job done and crown checked and muzzle break made.  gunsmith who did the work found the ally mount block didn't grip the barrel enough at the front and aloud sideways movement so he machined it out which then pulled the barrel down. so spoken to krg who sent a new mount. I ended up doing a devcon bed job on it all to stop movement. ive now got it shooting less than .5" at 100yrds with the reloads turns out it likes a 40thou jump to lands and 45grain n140.

so done a batch of ammo to get it zeroed up sunday for it to throw the first round 5" to the right. checked the gun and found the Audere pst scope mount cracked should be called Odear.

back to the shop and now it has a set of burris xtr mounts.

try my luck with them.

don't think ill buy another howa... Tikka again from now on.

I went for the Howa as I was pleased with my 204 calibre. I've got the Oryx chassis and have a Timney trigger ready to fit. I haven't had chance to zero it yet for obvious reasons, but will try it on the range on Sunday. The range is only 100 yards but its a start. I intend to take it up on one of my permissions where I've got backstops of 700+ yards.

'Another' Update.

Well, I collected the replacement rifle this morning from my RFD friend, which was sent from the importers, Highland Outdoors. I noticed on the bolt handle that the last 3 serial numbers of the rifle have been very shoddily and poorly engraved underneath. It feels rough to the touch, and although it's hard to spot, in my opinion it should not be on it. Of all the rifles I'm own these past 5 decades, I have never seen or come across this.I could have done better using a hammer and nail. I have just emailed Highland Outdoors to ask why this has been done, as I'm sure it wasn't imported into the UK like this.

I intend testing the rifle tomorrow morning or Sunday with a factory round to see if the same problem exists!

14 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Steve, I have similar on the bolt of my Sako. Probably not as rough as you described though.

As I mentioned, I honestly have never come across this before.  I've just had an email from Highland Outdoors which stated that the 'engraving' (?) was done when the rifle was manufactured. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

15 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

As I mentioned, I honestly have never come across this before.  I've just had an email from Highland Outdoors which stated that the 'engraving' (?) was done when the rifle was manufactured. 

That sound about right Steve, its not neat, its to ensure correct bolts go with the rifle- head space is good. 

25 minutes ago, Dougy said:

That sound about right Steve, its not neat, its to ensure correct bolts go with the rifle- head space is good. 

I agree regarding the bolt matching etc, but as mentioned, I have never come across this before. I'm going to check all my rifles later to see if there's anything on the bolts. To be honest, had it not felt rough to the touch, I may not have noticed it.