Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Vinniefromessex2016

Gun fit & Gun mount

Recommended Posts

This is my new video aimed at the beginner, explaining what gun fit is and how to mount a gun. I am not a coach by any means however these are tips I have learned over the years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely wood on that gun. Just a few additional points to consider?

Neck length can also affect drop as can how "fat" someone is in the face. Also if you are a woman, or have "moobs" (aka "man boobs") or are well muscled on the chest you may need the toe of the stock slightly further out than the heel of the stock. Lastly a 26" barrel gun will not necessarily have the same drop as a 30" barrel gun. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much, I had it refinished last year and the grain has come out well.

 Thanks for letting me know I did not consider that or even think of it, I tried to keep it fairly simple as it’s for the Beginner and did not want to make it too technical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Vinniefromessex2016 said:

It’s not my pond so I don’t have to worry about that 😂

Only kidding very informative 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm also always pleased to see a video talk on gun fitting where that silly stupid nonsense about "three fingers" between the shooter's nose and the front end of the comb isn't (yet again) trotted out. Often, very often, by people that you'd think would know better. 

GF1.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I'm also always pleased to see a video talk on gun fitting where that silly stupid nonsense about "three fingers" between the shooter's nose and the front end of the comb isn't (yet again) trotted out. Often, very often, by people that you'd think would know better. 

GF1.jpg

Agreed, there are many misconceptions around gunfit. 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer Ben Husthwaite's video. He teaches mounting the shotgun like shotgun rather than like a rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Westward said:

I prefer Ben Husthwaite's video. He teaches mounting the shotgun like shotgun rather than like a rifle.

Ben Husthwaite is a shooting coach, I’m not, he fits people’s guns, I’m giving tips on how you can adjust them at home. This is aimed at the beginner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Whatever you do there will be some that criticise. But at least you've had the guts to make a video and post it here. And having watched it now two or three times there isn't a lot wrong with it and it gives helpful hints and useful pointers for others to try out before making irreversible changes to their gun. Thank you for your kindness in sharing it.

Edited by enfieldspares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

Whatever you do there will be some that criticise. But at least you've had the guts to make a video and post it here. And having watched it now two or three times there isn't a lot wrong with it and it gives helpful hints and useful pointers for others to try out. Thank you for sharing it.

Thank you for commenting and giving me some tips, it’s great to get some feedback. 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it interesting and well worth the watch.

I think the majority of shooters only loosely think of gun fit, if a mounted gun "feels right", thats good enough.
That was me for about 20 years, but a good friend showed me the benefits of having a gun adjusted to fit you properly and the improvement in my shooting was measurable.
I also didn't ache so much after a long session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I found it interesting and well worth the watch.

I think the majority of shooters only loosely think of gun fit, if a mounted gun "feels right", thats good enough.
That was me for about 20 years, but a good friend showed me the benefits of having a gun adjusted to fit you properly and the improvement in my shooting was measurable.
I also didn't ache so much after a long session.

I’m glad you found it interesting, you are right a lot of people tend to overlook gun fit and make themselves fit the gun instead of the other way around (like me for quite a long time). 

Thank you for the comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vinniefromessex2016 said:

Ben Husthwaite is a shooting coach, I’m not, he fits people’s guns, I’m giving tips on how you can adjust them at home. This is aimed at the beginner. 

Sorry if you're offended but beginners still need accurate information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's a link to the Husthwaite gun fitting video. And, again, it's good to see very early his dismissing the nonsense of three fingers. But I also think he, Husthwaite, is in error when he appears to suggest that the gun should be balanced by keeping the weight at the rear of the butt not at the front. It may balance, but because the "half weight" of it isn't between the two hands it'll handle like a weaver's beam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRGRxyPwi4

To explain. Take a five foot broom stale. Now tape a one pound lead weight at a place where (if you held the broom stale like a gun up in your shoulder) it'd be between you two hands. Then try it by removing that one pud lead weight and, instead tape one half pound lead weight at the very front end and tape another half pound lead weight at the very back end. Yes it'll balance. But my it will handle when held like a gun awfully.

Edited by enfieldspares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Here's a link to the Husthwaite gun fitting video. And, again, it's good to see very early his dismissing the nonsense of three fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaRGRxyPwi4

 

Exactly, there is a lot more involved than just picking up a gun and seeing if it fits than just checking if “three fingers” fit between the comb and the nose. That’s why the “three finger” theory is not accurate. 
 

Thanks for the comments, it’s great to have a discussion about all of this .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Westward said:

I prefer Ben Husthwaite's video. He teaches mounting the shotgun like shotgun rather than like a rifle.

What are the differences when mounting a shotgun or mounting a rifle? would love to know? how do you shoot running boar with a rifle but not mount the rifle like a shotgun ? 

Ben is a great instructor with is own methods of teaching,  I can see no error in this video and yes I am a coach.

A constant gun mount is in many cases what you need to be a reasonable shot. Guns come with pre made measurements wich the majority of people will fit around. I use the word fit around because over a period of time and muscle memory we make them fit !

Very few people ever actually have a gun fitted by a professional, however this video is pretty good at helping people to identify some problems they may face with an off the shelf gun. It then shows how for very little money you can correct them. 

A lesson and a full gun fit from someone like Ben will cost £c200 

Then to get the gun adjusted if it needs it that could be the same .... what of the gun is worth £100 ? 

As per Enfieldspares comments, hats off for making videos for the beginner to the creator. 

Keep at it ! looking forwards to more

Edited by Terry2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

What are the differences when mounting a shotgun or mounting a rifle? would love to know? how do you shoot running boar with a rifle but not mount the rifle like a shotgun ? 

Ben is a great instructor with is own methods of teaching,  I can see no error in this video and yes I am a coach.

A constant gun mount is in many cases what you need to be a reasonable shot. Guns come with pre made measurements wich the majority of people will fit around. I use the word fit around because over a period of time and muscle memory we make them fit !

Very few people ever actually have a gun fitted by a professional, however this video is pretty good at helping people to identify some problems they may face with an off the shelf gun. It then shows how for very little money you can correct them. 

A lesson and a full gun fit from someone like Ben will cost £c200 

Then to get the gun adjusted if it needs it that could be the same .... what of the gun is worth £100 ? 

As per Enfieldspares comments, hats off for making videos for the beginner to the creator. 

Keep at it ! looking forwards to more

Thank you very much 👍🏼

Edited by Vinniefromessex2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a shotgun does not fit you perfectly you will never shoot it to your full potential. 
When mounting a rifle there is usually time to fit yourself to the rifle, so the fit is not so critical. 
But the main difference is that a rifle has sights of some sort with which you aim the rifle, even on a running target. A shotgun does not have sights and is shot by pointing and therefore MUST shoot where you are looking to be fully effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, London Best said:

If a shotgun does not fit you perfectly you will never shoot it to your full potential. 
When mounting a rifle there is usually time to fit yourself to the rifle, so the fit is not so critical. 
But the main difference is that a rifle has sights of some sort with which you aim the rifle, even on a running target. A shotgun does not have sights and is shot by pointing and therefore MUST shoot where you are looking to be fully effective.

This I agree with. 👍

For a shotgun to go where you looking you must have a consistent gun mount and a gun that fits.  (thats what this video says) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, London Best said:

If a shotgun does not fit you perfectly you will never shoot it to your full potential. 
When mounting a rifle there is usually time to fit yourself to the rifle, so the fit is not so critical. 
But the main difference is that a rifle has sights of some sort with which you aim the rifle, even on a running target. A shotgun does not have sights and is shot by pointing and therefore MUST shoot where you are looking to be fully effective.

Agreed, the better the gun fits the more consistent you become.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...