Gun fit & Gun mount

On 01/08/2020 at 21:45, enfieldspares said:

I'm also always pleased to see a video talk on gun fitting where that silly stupid nonsense about "three fingers" between the shooter's nose and the front end of the comb isn't (yet again) trotted out. Often, very often, by people that you'd think would know better. 

GF1.jpg

18 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Think you've either been mislead or you've misunderstood. The 'three fingers' is not set in stone and is not a target measurement. What it is is an indication of what to expect from a correctly fitted gun. See "The try Gun, Its Use and Abuse" by Chris Cradock. I do have to confess though that I've never heard of this measurement as it's usually expressed as the distance between the rearmost part of the shooter's hand and his nose. Do agree that the measurement given as you  have clearly indicated is patently ludicrous.

On 02/08/2020 at 20:34, Terry2016 said:

A lesson and a full gun fit from someone like Ben will cost £c200 

Just  as a clarification (certainly not a dig Terry)for anyone that may be interested in a lesson/gun fit with Ben husthwaite, I’ve had a lesson with him including a gun fit and balance it was substantially less than the circa £200 mentioned in fact sub £100. All adjustments that Ben made whilst fitting my gun where temporary and fully reversible.  due to being extremely new to the game he also advised that it would likely need re fitting once my style mount and consistency had all come together (I’ll be going back for this) I’d recommend him without a second thought and think he is great value for money. Also I can confirm that the balancing method used does not leave the gun handling like a “weavers beam” I’ve had far more experienced shots than myself say how well it handles(again all adjustments are temp and I’m sure Ben did say to have a gunsmith make them permanent once final fit is achieved) 

The best for last - well done on making the video vinnie! Far more  courageous than me! (Face for radio here 🤣) as quite a new shooter I found the video clear, concise and informative and most of what I saw fell in line with the majority of information that you find on the www. 👍🏻👏🏻 

Edited by Spr1985

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

What it is is an indication of what to expect from a correctly fitted gun.

But it's incorrect because, indeed, it may be what to expect from a correctly fitted gun with a bespoken stock then made for that person it has been correctly fitted for but it is certainly what you won't get, at all, on a gun where you are having to have the stock it came with either shortened or lengthened and , frankly, Mr Florent should know better.

On many English guns the front of the comb will in any case be a "moveable feast" between one maker and another and was never set in stone. Churchill combs are usually very different from, say, Boss combs. I have never known any of the top rank makers use or mention that "three finger" relationship as a starting point when starting fitting a gun to a client. Anyway here's a link that people can see the sinner speak:

https://youtu.be/KbSawsZOxrE

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

But it's incorrect because, indeed, it may be what to expect from a correctly fitted gun with a bespoken stock then made for that person it has been correctly fitted for but it is certainly what you won't get, at all, on a gun where you are having to have the stock it came with either shortened or lengthened and , frankly, Mr Florent should know better.

On many English guns the front of the comb will in any case be a "moveable feast" between one maker and another and was never set in stone. Churchill combs are usually very different from, say, Boss combs. I have never known any of the top rank makers use or mention that "three finger" relationship as a starting point when starting fitting a gun to a client. Anyway here's a link that people can see the sinner speak:

https://youtu.be/KbSawsZOxrE

Well, it obviously wasn't you that was either mislead or misunderstood. But someone was/did. Whereas the nose/hand relationship is valid this comb/ fingers thing is as you say, a right load of tosh.

Shame the OP video doesn't have subtitles.

2 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Just  as a clarification (certainly not a dig Terry)for anyone that may be interested in a lesson/gun fit with Ben husthwaite, I’ve had a lesson with him including a gun fit and balance it was substantially less than the circa £200 mentioned in fact sub £100. All adjustments that Ben made whilst fitting my gun where temporary and fully reversible.  due to being extremely new to the game he also advised that it would likely need re fitting once my style mount and consistency had all come together (I’ll be going back for this) I’d recommend him without a second thought and think he is great value for money. Also I can confirm that the balancing method used does not leave the gun handling like a “weavers beam” I’ve had far more experienced shots than myself say how well it handles(again all adjustments are temp and I’m sure Ben did say to have a gunsmith make them permanent once final fit is achieved) 

The best for last - well done on making the video vinnie! Far more  courageous than me! (Face for radio here 🤣) as quite a new shooter I found the video clear, concise and informative and most of what I saw fell in line with the majority of information that you find on the www. 👍🏻👏🏻 

Thank you very much, I’m glad that you found it informative. 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Hi SPR

Firstly i am a fan of Ben, a great coach his students results show his skill as a coach as well as his own shooting ability. 

My comments were made in relation to a statement that was not constructive in any way towards the creator of this video. 

if your lesson was sub £100 i would guess it was for 1 hour and in that time Ben will have got your gun where it should be and you shot some target to see I it was correct.  If you had a few lessons and then a gunsmith make the adjustments it would cost you a fair amount. excess of £200 

This video is about helping people identify problems when they mount a gun - - what does their sight picture look like and how to correct it. 

Good Luck with the shooting keep at it 🙂 a consistent mount is required so practice a lot ( its a good excuse to keep going shooting anyway, thats what i tell the wife 🙂 )

Best Wishes 

Terry 

27 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Well, it obviously wasn't you that was either mislead or misunderstood. But someone was/did. Whereas the nose/hand relationship is valid this comb/ fingers thing is as you say, a right load of tosh.

Shame the OP video doesn't have subtitles.

I’m very sorry it does not have subtitles I’m new to the YouTube scene and still getting used to what to do. I originally thought the viewer was able to turn the subtitles on themselves.

1 minute ago, Vinniefromessex2016 said:

I’m very sorry it does not have subtitles I’m new to the YouTube scene and still getting used to what to do. I originally thought the viewer was able to turn the subtitles on themselves.

Having them might be a tad pricey, but I wouldn't know. Yep, if they're there - there's a symbol that tells you - the viewer can select them. They are a boon for those of us who are hard of hearing. Mind you those like the ones on enfieldspares link are worse than useless. By the time ou've worked out what the jibberish could be you're 3 sentences behind.

13 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Having them might be a tad pricey, but I wouldn't know. Yep, if they're there - there's a symbol that tells you - the viewer can select them. They are a boon for those of us who are hard of hearing. Mind you those like the ones on enfieldspares link are worse than useless. By the time ou've worked out what the jibberish could be you're 3 sentences behind.

I will try and have a look into it, I will also try to slow my talking down when making my next video (I tend to talk quite fast). 

I shoot in a hide a lot so the placing of the feet is not always in  the right place,sometimes if a bird comes out of the corner of my eye i end up on one leg well not quite but you know what i mean.I always thought that when mounting a gun you should not drop your head to the gun.Like the video though look forward to the next ones.

16 minutes ago, A.R.P. said:

I shoot in a hide a lot so the placing of the feet is not always in  the right place,sometimes if a bird comes out of the corner of my eye i end up on one leg well not quite but you know what i mean.I always thought that when mounting a gun you should not drop your head to the gun.Like the video though look forward to the next ones.

I understand what you mean, I shoot from a hide quite abit and wildfowl a lot during the season, sometimes end up shooting laying down!😂 Some people have to drop there head to the gun if they have a longer neck (me), if shooting a trap gun or a gun with a Monte Carlo stock this wouldn’t be the case as you shoot with head somewhat up, some people put there head down more than others.
Thanks very much I will try and make more👍🏼

10 hours ago, Vinniefromessex2016 said:

Some people have to drop there head to the gun if they have a longer neck (me), 

I would say if you have to drop your head to the gun (because you have a longer neck) it is because the gun does  not fit you.

If you had a gun, or just a stock, made to fit properly you would not have to drop your head. That is the whole point of having a gun fitted.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

I would say if you have to drop your head to the gun (because you have a longer neck) it is because the gun does  not fit you.

If you had a gun, or just a stock, made to fit properly you would not have to drop your head. That is the whole point of having a gun fitted.

Agree 👍

12 hours ago, London Best said:

It’s a bad habit I have from when I didn’t have the stock changed/fitted, still trying to get used to not pushing my head down. 

However, you have to put your head down to the gun somewhat, because if you bring the gun up to the shoulder and keep your head up, your head is to high.

I just done this test in my living room, and found that if I do not put the head down to the stock it ends up being Just above my jaw bone and my head is to high above the rib. You have to put your head down slightly. 

I agree not as much as I did in the video, I am still getting rid of my bad habits.

Thanks for the comments, it has been a really interesting, educational and enjoyable conversation. 

Edited by Vinniefromessex2016

On 02/08/2020 at 21:40, London Best said:

When mounting a rifle there is usually time to fit yourself to the rifle, so the fit is not so critical. 

With respect folks I beg to differ, fit on a rifle is even more important than fit on a shotgun - you do not have a spread of bullets creating a margin for error and creating point of impact error is far easier to achieve than most folks realise with erratic fit. If woodland stalking for cull deer you often have little time to set up, assess safety and take the shot - especially on muntjac - so having consistently practised gunfit is vital. I am not saying that shots should be hurried or ill considered at all - just that sometimes you only just have enough time.

Thanks for the vid Vinnie, I enjoyed it

7 minutes ago, 243deer said:

With respect folks I beg to differ, fit on a rifle is even more important than fit on a shotgun - you do not have a spread of bullets creating a margin for error and creating point of impact error is far easier to achieve than most folks realise with erratic fit. If woodland stalking for cull deer you often have little time to set up, assess safety and take the shot - especially on muntjac - so having consistently practised gunfit is vital. I am not saying that shots should be hurried or ill considered at all - just that sometimes you only just have enough time.

Thanks for the vid Vinnie, I enjoyed it

Thank you very much👍🏼 I’m glad you enjoyed it👍🏼