Security Cameras

Dave at kelton

Probably been done before but advice would be appreciated. I am thinking of installing Swann security cameras. If I hardwire I can cover my drive and outbuilding plus the rear of the house. If I go wireless I can cover other areas as well. Principally I want to cover the drive etc and the rest is a bonus so I am favouring hard wired.

Comments or recommendations please; thanks.

I have had the Swann HD cameras for 3 or 4 year's now and they have been very good. It can have up to 8 cameras and only records when the pir bit is triggered,you can have email alerts if you want and the app for the phone works well. I have never had to climb up and clean them . Playback via the phone is not as clear as viewing on the monitor but perfectly viewable  on the monitor its very clear. 1TB of recording that over writes. You can put the app on more than one device and the customer service has been good.

I have the Swann security system on my house, hard wired, 4 overt cameras covering all angles. Cost only £199 from screw fix.

Absolute doddle to set up and wire in.

Because I'm disabled I couldn't do it myself, electrician charged me £90 Inc VAT. 

Option to add up to 4 more cameras later. (I already have other covert cameras with tracking)

You will need a monitor if you don't want to watch it always on your phone.

My monitor was given to me by someone who no longer needed a home computer monitor.

Below is a quick screen shot I just took to show quality on phone. Double click on any brings up full screen.

Screenshot_20200802-074501_Swann Security.jpg

Just out of interest this is a screen shot from 1 of my covert cameras which covers my Volvo.

Screenshot_20200802-080613_YCC365 Plus.jpg

Yes, I may well be OTT with security but it keeps me happy and content knowing I've got it.

Doesn't hurt when the Police firearms team do home visits either.

If you think my camera's are OTT, you should see my window and door locks 😃

Edited by Centrepin
Amendment

I've a simple Lorex wireless system that has both the two cameras behind the front windows of the property with interlocking arcs. It caught this likely lad as they usually are too busy avoiding the attentions of the one camera that they don't notice the other. It also displays a time stamp. To comply with GDPR or whatever else (and 'cos he's an ugly mutt) I'll spare posting his full face.

Caller1.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Worth their weight in gold as you can monitor where you want, see who's at your door and in my case, monitor part of the road for ne'er do wells!  I have a Swann system for up to 8 cameras. In order to use the recorded footage in a court or as evidence, the cameras need to be at least 1080 HD (apparently) so choose wisely.  I've caught several people up to no good and the latest one, an attempted burglary, was recorded on one of the cameras, so the burglar cannot deny anything!   

3 hours ago, scotslad said:

I thought it wasn't legal to have private CCTV cameras aimed onto the street.

Wot happens if someone else parks in ur spot??

As your neighbour I'd  be delighted that you are constantly filming the entire frontage of my house. And i certainly would not be round to have a strong word with you should i become aware of it...

So if i lived in that house in the camera view behind the volvo i should be happy that your not a pervert getting your jollies over videos of my kids in the garden? Obviously I'm not suggesting that's the case here - but i do feel that filming someone elses house is fundamentally wrong and should not be permitted...

Hard wired I have a 4 camera system with hd cameras got it off wish for around £90 when my swann system went bang..

There are rules about privacy of your neighbours property .... I may be wrong but I think something on the lines of 75 -80%- of the picture must be within your boundaries

3 hours ago, scotslad said:

I thought it wasn't legal to have private CCTV cameras aimed onto the street.

Wot happens if someone else parks in ur spot??

If it wasn't legal the Police would have told me to remove them instead of using them as evidence.

Where the Volvo's parked, it's not "my" parking spot, its a public road. Wherever I park, but usually in the same place more or less, I just reset the view point. Takes all of 20 seconds. 

The other car and caravan are on my private land.

I care little for public opinion, if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear.