Offensive Weapons Bill 2.0

Just seen this on utube from Callum/EnglishShooting... has anyone else heard details of this? Seems that sadly the government may be looking again at further restrictions on sec 1 shotguns, semi auto rimfires and air guns. Possibly a lot of speculation as Callum acknowledges on the video  but would be good to know if anyone else has heard of this independently 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a good look this morning but can't seem to find anything directly related to the ES video. I get the feeling that what happened earlier in the year at Waltham Abbey with the .22's is going to be brought up.

Also had a good read through the gun control network website. 

It's funny, there's plenty on there about restricting legal firearms owners to help 'reduce crime', but nothing as far as I could as regarding stopping criminals using illegally obtained firearms 🤔

Strange one that.

13 minutes ago, bwana said:

Five shootings in London over the weekend,not likely any of the weapons involved are licensed.Getting worse by the day.

But always the answer is likely further restrictions on legally held guns, because like knives they have no answer to stop the illegal use,  but need to show they are doing something. Bring back the death penalty as an idea?

19 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

No. Never. Stefan Kiszko. Google it.

Sorry, but back then forensics weren't anywhere near as sophisticated as now, DNA as an example!! Now is the time to reintroduce the Death Penalty....look at crimes being committed now because criminals aren't deterred by very lenient sentences, the killing of the police man by gipsies by dragging him  behind a quad bike at 60mph is a classic example......

The re introduction into the U.K of capital punishment is not going to occurr.Look at the U.S.A. where they do have it,sometimes apply it but some souls have been on death row for twenty years resulting in mentally tortured inmates,rich lawyers,vast expense on the public purse and a generally derided system which does not seem to deter anyone..We do not need more laws or a paper increase in sentences,just the firm application of existing sentences,life should mean life.  

6 hours ago, London Best said:

The country has been going downhill ever since the death penalty was abolished.

I would vote not only for restoration of the death penalty, but also for birching or some form of corporal punishment. That would make ‘em think twice.

Well put that man.

I'd do the birching for free, they wouldn't re offend that's for sure. It would take them months to be able to put their socks and shoes on. A lesson they'd never forget.

34 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I think the next step for yous in the mainland will be licencing of all airguns including sub 12ft/lbs as it is over here in northern ireland. They would make a fortune on the licencing IF people complied

How many 100's if not 1000's are still out there unregistered though?

I imagine most would do it as not to jeopardize other tickets, easy money isn't it.

5 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

How many 100's if not 1000's are still out there unregistered though?

I imagine most would do it as not to jeopardize other tickets, easy money isn't it.

I've often wondered why the authorities still stick with SGC and FAC instead of going down the same lines as northern ireland and have everything just held on the one certificate. Everything here in northern ireland from 12bore shotgun to 9mm semi auto pistol to a 177 air gun is just put on an FAC. Would it not streamline things a bit for licencing departments?

On 03/08/2020 at 09:42, lloydi73 said:

Sorry, but back then forensics weren't anywhere near as sophisticated as now, DNA as an example!! Now is the time to reintroduce the Death Penalty....look at crimes being committed now because criminals aren't deterred by very lenient sentences, the killing of the police man by gipsies by dragging him  behind a quad bike at 60mph is a classic example......

Yes but even back then the police had evidence that would catagorically have cleared Kiszko but failed to disclose it to the defence,

2 years national service square bashing with someone shouting down your lughole keep in step , you orrible little worm , or a bit of rock breaking down the quarry , NO NO we carn't do that, they won't have time to read the sun and order a new phone by drone it's a hard life in the nick.

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I've often wondered why the authorities still stick with SGC and FAC instead of going down the same lines as northern ireland and have everything just held on the one certificate. Everything here in northern ireland from 12bore shotgun to 9mm semi auto pistol to a 177 air gun is just put on an FAC. Would it not streamline things a bit for licencing departments?

I don't think a single license is a bad idea but when it comes to FAC guns ground clearance is could be an issue. I personally think licencing air rifles is now a waste of time. 

It's one of those things where the whole system needs updating, but that's then an open door to far more unnecessary restrictions. 

4 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I think the next step for yous in the mainland will be licencing of all airguns including sub 12ft/lbs as it is over here in northern ireland. They would make a fortune on the licencing IF people complied

I believe the licencing of air weapons is a good thing. If every incident involving an air weapon is recorded and categorised as 'gun crime', just how much less gun crime would there be if air weapons were licenced? The statistics would be tipped a lot more in favour of genuine shooters. Every year we hear of incidents where cats, dogs, swans etc are shot with legally held air weapons, but it isn't the likes of you or I doing it. It's the local vacuous contingent who really shouldn't be allowed access to air weapons in the first place. If the level of gun crime continues to rise, there's a risk of further kneejerk reactions that could be extremely damaging to our sport.

Edited by Cannon

The system is overdue complete reform IMO. Licensing in UK is still taking a 1980s approach to what is a 2020s issue.

I want to express a few things I see coming up more frequently around this topic - new bills/heightened measures against gun ownership:

It seems very archaic carrying around big bits of paper (license). Not to mention the endless renewal issues we see, pen and paper form filling - it's wasting both the applicants and the police's time. This could all be digitised, making it quicker, simpler and safer to keep track of gun owners and their respective firearms.

Then you have pressure/discrimination on applicants with mental health issues (looking at you Wales police) whereby forces are taking a broad-brush approach to a complex and varied landscape of mental health applicants. Again the 1980s approach - if you're depressed or anxious then your're a lunatic and unsafe to own a shotgun/firearm. Versus the 2020 reality - we now have a much greater collective understanding of mental health and depression with 19.7% of the UK suffering from it at some point in their lives. It really scares me when I hear people suggest keeping shtum about their mental wellbeing for the sake of their ticket - avoiding a knockback at renewal stage. As someone who is looking to apply this year for the first time - I am fully waiting to be rejected under the grounds of having anxiety and depression in the past. Despite shooting with a club for 12 months. Maybe the Dorset FEO will be fine with it, I trust their judgement - its the wider policies and broad-stroke kneejerk decisions around mental health etc that seem a shame.

Oh god - what a rant, sorry - just had this on my mind for a while and reading about a further bill on firearms/shotguns makes me worried about the future of the sport for everyone.

Interested to hear if people have more insights on this bill though?

Lastly I don't disagree with Cannon on introducing licensing for air weapons - they make a really valid point on that in my opinion. If I was PM I would push for training/certification as part of the licensing system. I think theres some European countries already doing this? Treat it like anything else that requires careful use to use safely - CAR/MOTORBIKE.

Edited by dorsecore