New car issue - where do I stand?

ilovemyheckler

Five weeks ago I took delivery of a new series 6 Barbarian X

I bought it via the BASC offer and it was supplied by a Mitsubishi dealer about 60 miles from where I live. I would have preferred to get it from a local dealer but the BASC saving represents an £8,500 saving and no local dealer could get near it.

After 1,100 miles the adblue warning light came on. I put 20 litres in and all has been good since. I put it down to just being missed.

At 2,000 miles the vehicle wouldn't start. All the warning lights were on as was the engine management light. There was no power. Mitsubishi Assist sent roadside assistance and they said the battery was flat and that their diagnostic machine said it needed a new battery. They charged it and I drove it for 45 minutes and all was good. Mitsubishi Assist arranged for me to take it to a local dealer the next day. They said the battery as partially flat and just needed a good charge. I asked why a new battery would discharge and was told "it happens".

Two days later I had a 200 mile round trip to do for work. On the way back there was a strong smell of burning sulphur (I now suspect that this was the smell of very hot battery acid). I thought it was an external smell but it lasted all the way home. When I got home I left the car for an hour and when I went to use it next there was no power. There weren't any warning lights this time just the vehicle not starting. The "stop start" light was flashing.

Mitsubishi Assist came out and again said that the battery needed replacing but this could be a result of a faulty alternator. There was also battery acid on the top of the battery.

The car was recovered into the same local Mitsubishi dealer.

They still claim that all that is needed is the battery needs recharging and that they do not need to investigate the alternator or anything else as their battery test meter shows low charge.

I suppose I have been lucky that both "breakdowns" have happened at my home.

Any suggestions what might be wrong and what can I do?

Battery Test.jpg

I would write to the dealer to state that that they will be using their one chance to fix the car and if it develops a fault again within the six months of purchase you will simply be returning it for a full refund under the rights granted by Consumer Rights Act 2015 etc etc. It is their choice to not replace the battery but the risk is not yours. 

35 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I would write to the dealer to state that that they will be using their one chance to fix the car and if it develops a fault again within the six months of purchase you will simply be returning it for a full refund under the rights granted by Consumer Rights Act 2015 etc etc. It is their choice to not replace the battery but the risk is not yours. 

I would do this, in writing, and by email, with time stamp and date. 

Let them know, in writing, that you are unhappy about the reliability of the vehicle. Advise them that you have been ,so far, reasonable and have followed the advice given by the manufacturer and have made the vehicle readily available for them to inspect and repair but the situation is now costing you financial loss and damaging your business as you are reluctant to travel any distance. They should clearly be informed that you will give them one final opportunity to fix the vehicle or you will return it and demand a full refund.  

Sounds like the alternator is overcharging the battery. Maybe the alternator itself, the regulator or the rectifier. Regardless of what it is, if it keeps breaking down it's not fir for purpose.

I'd give the dealer one last chance to fix it, but with the proviso if he doesn't, you'll be returning the truck for a full refund. 

What was the result of the charging test, once the Assist guy had got the engine running. That is very easy to do,  a voltmeter across the battery and amp clamp round the battery leads.

That would show if the alternator were overcharging, which I bet it was.

Did you receive either by email or hand written a report of the breakdown detailing what he found? If he didn't do a charging test then he needs a good kick as that is a vital part of any flat battery diagnosis.

Having been through a similar situation recently with a brand new car, the “full refund” Avenue is not as simple as some think. You have to give the dealership the chance to repair the issue, that’s quite clear in the guidance. Once they have been given that opportunity then and if the car fails again your case for a refund grows. It’s also helped if you have used a finance house, they have much more power than you as they effectively own your vehicle.

My car would not rev through the full range and kept cutting out, it was returned for repair. The software upload did nothing, it was returned again for further investigation. Another upload was completed, it again did nothing. I contacted the dealer and asked for a replacement car, got fobbed off.....surprisingly. I then took matters to the next stage, contacted customer service, the dealership AND finance house stating that I would make no further payment unless the faulty car was replaced. Point to note her is that you MUST continue to put the payments aside in a separate account and show this to the finance house. Parked the car on my drive and didn’t use it for 4 weeks. I then got a call from the dealership who replaced my vehicle for another brand new one ( with a different spec engine)

Its a long process but it can be done. I have since found out that the manufacturer has admitted to an on going engine management issue with the vehicle I owned.

Best of luck, keep things friendly, use the “ I really don’t want to be doing this, but I have no option” attitude to all in the process. 👍

Thanks all 

My preference is to get the car repaired as I like it. I have also had 2.5K of dog box and draws fitted and with the supplying dealership being 60 miles away its not easy. The repair dealership are the ones who are being unhelpful.

I haven't used finance for this purchase so the "weight" of a finance supplier isn't going to help.

I suspect it will get sorted but not quickly and will probably have to go back to the supplying dealer.

You need to look up the changes to the Consumer Rights Act that came in a couple of years ago.
Its very well hidden up by the motor trade ! (I work in the trade)
The law now states the dealer has ONE attempt to fix the fault.
If its the same fault a second time, you are entitled by law to a refund or replacement !

What does the meter tell you you're getting as a voltage across the terminals when the engine's been running for 5 minutes?  What does it go back to after you turn the engine off?

Doubltless some will say that it's not on you to find out.  I would counter, give yourself a fighting chance, and arm yourself with some knowledge of what the issue might be.

Took my car for a service+MOT having replaced the battery (was overdue, vehicle is a '62 plate on the original battery) to be told my battery was 'low'.  I'm not surprised, it had done 0.8 miles since I put the battery in.  A few 'proper' drives later, the battery is charging and holding

Well the local dealer (not the one I bought it from) rang this afternoon to say the battery needed replacing! They can't get a Mitsubishi battery until 2nd October but as a favour they offered to send someone to the port where new Mistubishi's are stored on arrival into the UK and get one. They refused to take one out of their showroom cars. Hopefully they will do that Tuesday, they then need to complete a Mitsubishi warranty claim form and get it approved.

Next they they need to test the alternator etc. and if that needs replacing order the parts and complete another warranty form.

When I told them I wanted it back fully repaired by this Friday they laughed! "no chance" was their reply

They won't provide me with car in time meantime

Upon asking the dealer I bought from to provide a refund they agreed but asked if they could have the opportunity to repair it. I agreed and they are going to collect the car (a journey of around 60 miles each way) on a trailer and provide me with a demonstrator. I had a minor issue with the hard top they fitted and they have agreed to put a new hard top on.

Problems happen but for me it how they deal with it. The local dealer (CCR Mitsubishi in Gloucester), in my opinion,  should not be in business. Maybe they are not happy because I didn't buy from them. I did get a quote and even told them the best price I had received but they said "no one can sell a new Barbarian X for that price" I sent them a copy of the quotation and they reduced their price to within £1,000 but I said no. Perhaps I was wrong to dismiss them?

sorry to hear your trouble and strife with the new motor.

I can't help thinking if Mitsubishi is pulling the plug on the UK and closing dealerships-are the staff really going to put themselves out for a customer on behalf of a firm that may cost jobs?

might be me being pessimistic and I apologise for more negativity to add to your dilemma.

hope you get it sorted in your favour.

f.

1 hour ago, crossy 666 said:

Buy an auto you don’t get that problem 😉

Wife’s last two cars have had stop/start.....both autos.  Audi and Discovery Sport.
You can switch it off, but you have to do it every time you start up. Not only a pain in the bum, but what about the starter wear and as already mentioned, the battery. Stupid, stupid idea.

Edited by London Best