New car issue - where do I stand?

ilovemyheckler

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Wife’s last two cars have had stop/start.....both autos.  Audi and Discovery Sport.
You can switch it off, but you have to do it every time you start up. Not only a pain in the bum, but what about the starter wear and as already mentioned, the battery. Stupid, stupid idea.

Somebody told me most cars have a micro-switch that disables stop-start whenever the bonnet is open (allowing mechanics can make adjustments with the engine running), and that it is easy to fix this and keep stop-start permanently out of action.   Can anyone confirm that?

18 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Well the local dealer (not the one I bought it from) rang this afternoon to say the battery needed replacing! They can't get a Mitsubishi battery until 2nd October but as a favour they offered to send someone to the port where new Mistubishi's are stored on arrival into the UK and get one. They refused to take one out of their showroom cars. Hopefully they will do that Tuesday, they then need to complete a Mitsubishi warranty claim form and get it approved.

Next they they need to test the alternator etc. and if that needs replacing order the parts and complete another warranty form.

When I told them I wanted it back fully repaired by this Friday they laughed! "no chance" was their reply

They won't provide me with car in time meantime

Upon asking the dealer I bought from to provide a refund they agreed but asked if they could have the opportunity to repair it. I agreed and they are going to collect the car (a journey of around 60 miles each way) on a trailer and provide me with a demonstrator. I had a minor issue with the hard top they fitted and they have agreed to put a new hard top on.

Problems happen but for me it how they deal with it. The local dealer (CCR Mitsubishi in Gloucester), in my opinion,  should not be in business. Maybe they are not happy because I didn't buy from them. I did get a quote and even told them the best price I had received but they said "no one can sell a new Barbarian X for that price" I sent them a copy of the quotation and they reduced their price to within £1,000 but I said no. Perhaps I was wrong to dismiss them?

Get a full refund I would. 

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The local dealer (CCR Mitsubishi in Gloucester), in my opinion,  should not be in business.

I feel your pain.  I bought from their Bristol branch, secondhand, 3yrs old.  I also had a faulty battery.  I rang them, and they sent someone to jumpstart me at home.  I told them that I would've expected a new battery as it was still the original one on a 3 year old car.  Now you'd normally expect a service life of 5 years or so, but they flat refused to do anything about it, and muttered some nonsense about the battery taking a while to get.

One of the few benefits of living in a major conurbation like Bristol is that you have a choice of things like motor factors - if they'd wanted, they could've had a name-brand battery delivered that day from a choice of at least 5 suppliers.

In the end, I just put the phone down on them, stopped by Costco on my way somewhere, bought and fitted a Bosch battery myself.

Yes, I should've let pursued them, but that would've left me dependent on the fault reoccurring before they'd do anything about it, and I needed the truck.  Easier just to throw money at the problem and know it is sorted.

So, don't let them fob you off, but equally, rejecting the car on the basis of a battery fault seems a bit drastic.  Take a meter to the terminals, what's it's telling you?  If the alternator is over or under charging, you'll soon know.  Then go back to them and give them the chance to address the problem.  Waiting for a Mitsubishi battery is utter nonsense - the OEM one I removed didn't seem to be that good a brand - and as said, they can source a decent brand one the same day if they're so inclined.

I think the issue here is pandemic amongst all dealerships. The service “managers” have never touched a spanner, have a degree in bull****, the mechanics only know how to plug a code reader in and if that doesn’t come up with a fault they havn’t got a ****ing clue!!
i have had similar issues with Nissan with my Navara, Lincoln Nissan are a total shower of **** not fit to service a wheelbarrow. The motor industry is totally shot!!

On 08/08/2020 at 21:18, triumphant59 said:

I think the issue here is pandemic amongst all dealerships. The service “managers” have never touched a spanner, have a degree in ********, the mechanics only know how to plug a code reader in and if that doesn’t come up with a fault they havn’t got a ******* clue!!
i have had similar issues with Nissan with my Navara, Lincoln Nissan are a total shower of **** not fit to service a wheelbarrow. The motor industry is totally shot!!

I've been in the trade over forty years and I can't disagree with you.

The trouble is, nobody wants to pay what it actually costs to have a properly trained technician fix their car with good quality parts.

They'll think nothing of spending  £25,000+ on a car and then quibble about a few hundred on a service.

All I hear is "That should only take five minutes, I can get those bits cheaper on ebay, you've only got to plug it into your computer thing and it'll tell you exactly whats wrong".

Everything comes down to price.

14 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I've been in the trade over forty years and I can't disagree with you.

The trouble is, nobody wants to pay what it actually costs to have a properly trained technician fix their car with good quality parts.

They'll think nothing of spending  £25,000+ on a car and then quibble about a few hundred on a service.

All I hear is "That should only take five minutes, I can get those bits cheaper on ebay, you've only got to plug it into your computer thing and it'll tell you exactly whats wrong".

but thats what we have been led to belive 

15 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Im sorry , but if the techs at the main dealers arent 'properly trained'   what are they ?
And if the parts they are fitting arent good quality OEM parts, what exactly are they fitting  ?
Its not about what wages they are on either, you send your car to the main dealers for repairs or service, you know its not going to be cheap, you pay the extra for hopefully , the parts and labour that are the best for your car ?

They might 'quibble about a 'service' that includes the very basic parts, when they know the rough cost of those parts is less than 25 % of the bill, and the hours labour to fit them cost the rest, but thats irrelevant , if they didnt want main dealer prices , then they shouldnt have gone to the main dealer.

As above , they have 2 choices, and more often than not, they choose the cheaper option.
Thats because in the main, they dont get any better treatment or quality of repair at the main dealer, at often twice the cost.
They probably dont get the same levels of contempt either.

17 hours ago, Wymondley said:

What’s a main dealer labour charge per hour? It’s around £160 per hour down my way. Whereas an independent mechanic with exactly the same diagnostic kit can do a better job for £60/hour. If you ask they will use OEM parts as well to protect the warranty. Are you sting you get better value for £160/hour? 

if I was the OP I would say you’ve had your chance and here’s a letter from my solicitor demanding a refund/replacement. 

Perhaps they knew the car was dodgy and hence were able to discount it heavily. 

23 hours ago, AVB said:

Perhaps they knew the car was dodgy and hence were able to discount it heavily. 

Interesting comment ... to the OP, did you contact BASC as this is their 'scheme' and they presumably have some degree of leverage.. Mind you that would involve them giving a stuff about a member.. so scratch that!

There is no point contacting BASC. BASC are a facilitator and not party to the sale contract.

The dealer I purchased from (they are 85 miles away) have been ok. It is just the distance for me. Because of the distance I took it to my local Mitsubishi dealer and it is them who were hopeless.

It has been at the purchasing dealer for a week and is due back tomorrow. They and Mistiubishi are aware that this is their final chance to fix.

My solicitor has confirmed that getting my money back will not be an issue. Mitsubishi are aware that I may reject the car if it isn’t fixed. However getting my other costs - dog box £2,500, extended warranty £450 may be more difficult although Mitsubishi may give in and pay although they may not. My solicitor thinks I could get it back in time but may need to go to litigation. Even if I win I am unlikely to get all my legal costs back. As I deal with solicitors on a regular basis i know how easy it is to rack up £3,000 in legal fees