Public with speed cameras

B725

Coming back from the farm this morning and in Wessington there was two men and a woman with a hand held speed camera, she was pointing at the car's and the two men were what appeared to be jotting down the registration numbers of the cars, is that legal? All three had a normal viz vest and most definitely not police. 

I had the police knocking my door a few years ago asking me if I wanted to volunteer to monitor our road my answer to him was “are the police going to replace my windows when I get a brick through them” also I don’t think he was to impressed with me as I was holding a can of strong bow when I answered the door 😂

I think .if a person (including the police  ) is trying to enforce a particular law but is currently breaking another one .then they cant enforce the first .

Though i stand to be corrected on that .

An example being .

A police camera van checking for speeders .while illegally parking on double yellow lines .

Yes totally legal but incredibly PATHETIC.  If as a retired police officer and I was dead, I would be rolling in my grave, as it is I find this situation appauling when genuine police officers cannot be found to do the job. BUT, just watch the interview on LBC with **** of the Yard and you will see why policing in this country has gone to the dogs.  For the record I was one of two traffic officers trained to use the new radar units back in the sixties and the first person we booked in a local village, was the husband of the Chairwoman of the Parish Council who had complained about speeding through the village.  Raised a laugh in the Police Club that evening over a pint.....mind the NEW AGE over educated  senior officers closed all police clubs as well.

I always give them the middle finger and speed up - had a couple of letters from the police regarding reports sent by the local "Speed watch" group so I wrote to the group telling them exactly what I thought of them and mentioning that no serious accidents involving speed had ever been reported on that piece of road and that they were likely to cause an accident by distracting drivers.

58 minutes ago, B725 said:

Coming back from the farm this morning and in Wessington there was two men and a woman with a hand held speed camera, she was pointing at the car's and the two men were what appeared to be jotting down the registration numbers of the cars, is that legal? All three had a normal viz vest and most definitely not police. 

Where was that -by the new builds or further down?

We have them down here too. A polite description of them is 'vigilantes'. You do get a snotty letter from plod if they catch you though with a veiled threat of further action if you're a persistent offender . 

I see that plod are encouraging dash-cam users to submit evidence of bad driving too. The mind boggles.

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I always give them the middle finger and speed up - had a couple of letters from the police regarding reports sent by the local "Speed watch" group so I wrote to the group telling them exactly what I thought of them and mentioning that no serious accidents involving speed had ever been reported on that piece of road and that they were likely to cause an accident by distracting drivers.

I do not think speeding (or swearing for that matter) makes you a legend....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7232897/amp/Mother-four-33-killed-girl-10-Range-Rover-jailed-20-months.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-561740/Tycoons-son-left-toddler-brain-damaged-70mph-horror-Range-Rover-crash-jailed-21-months.html

“Antonio Singh Boparan, 21, was jailed for 21 months after causing a crash while speeding at 72mph in a 30mph zone in November 2006, which left one-year-old Cerys Edwards fighting for her life with horrific injuries. The toddler, now two, has been left paralysed, permanently brain damaged and needing a ventilator just to stay alive. Mr Boparan had pleaded not guilty to one count of dangerous driving but was found unanimously guilty by a jury at Birmingham Crown Court earlier this month.”

What a big man he is. Wow. He drives past the speed limit. Such a rebel. That little girl suffered from her injuries and died a few years later. If I was her father / uncle etc that boy would have been dancing at the end of a rope long before now.

19 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

If anyone wants to be a big man and glorify speeding, go tell that to her father. 

CC13CCC7-4992-4841-9483-5DCB33605849.png

32BCA3F6-3459-48C2-87D7-E9B0412D4D38.png

Before and after

9 years it took her to die, she fought every step of the way. The man who killed her served a few months. 

Poor mite.

So fed up of people speeding through 30mph limits, see it day in day out here. I have politely informed a fair few in the last few months. 

Had one from a local fencing company hammer past in he's Hilux 3 days on the trot, happily reported him to 101 and it stopped. If your not speeding, and let's face it what excuse have you got to speed in a 30 limit, there should be no issue?

Pity there's not more boys in blue to go around because they could make a fortune.

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

Poor mite.

So fed up of people speeding through 30mph limits, see it day in day out here. I have politely informed a fair few in the last few months. 

Had one from a local fencing company hammer past in he's Hilux 3 days on the trot, happily reported him to 101 and it stopped. If your not speeding, and let's face it what excuse have you got to speed in a 30 limit, there should be no issue?

Pity there's not more boys in blue to go around because they could make a fortune.

Agree 👍

Last year a local farm erected a 'scarecrow', during the village scarecrow festival. This one had a dayglo jacket, peaked cap and was holding what looked like a radar gun. The speed limit at that point is 40mph and is some 100 yards from a narrow bridge situated on a bend. On average there was 1 Traffic collision a month at this location and some have been serious or even fatal. Since the 'Scarecrow' came on duty, the collisions have been reduced to almost zero (it has been there over 12 months now).  I think if these people wish to try and reduce the speed of traffic in their town, then good luck to them. I agree it is the Police who should be doing the job, BUT, I try to live in the real world. When I was working, there was actually a dedicated 'Radar Section' and that was all that they did, but now you are fortunate if the local Force can field 4 or more Officers a shift, hence so many being assaulted on duty.  Like Walker, I too had the unpleasant task of telling many a parent that their offspring was not as good a driver as they thought  !  So anything that helps reduce the much increased speeds that some idiots are now driving at, gets the thumbs up from me.  I live on a road where the speed limit is 20mph., I think I am a reasonable judge of speeds (I had plenty of practice) and the current average speed is around 40mph.

4 minutes ago, Westley said:

I live on a road where the speed limit is 20mph., I think I am a reasonable judge of speeds (I had plenty of practice) and the current average speed is around 40mph.

I live in a 20mph area and I'd be very surprised if the average wasn't 40.

My road is 20mph and I'm sure some manage that in reverse when they realise they've no where to turn.

I live in a 30 limit. I am the first house, 200 yards from the corner where the limit begins. The road is dead straight for half a mile from my house to the next corner. Many idiots are doing sixty after 200 yards when they pass my house and many, many more do more than that for the next half mile, houses all the way. We have not seen a speed trap here for years. Knowing my luck, if we had one they would probably catch me for doing 33 or something.

19 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Poor mite.

Seems to be lot more rural speeding and car runs in Suffolk lately, since lock down lifted FB. Sounds like you need more horses and carp to slow em down. Noticed more cam vans and hand held crews about to because it getting worse. Surprised to see cam van in Needham Market high street about 8oc Friday evening. Other vans and hand held crew out Friday evening week before same kinda time on A140 and A1120..Biker mate (advanced trainer) pulled over to point out to one copper how dangerous it was where he was parked and doing it. He was actually parked right on A1120/A140 staggered junction obstructing vision of drivers and stood /pacing about using hand held. Backing up traffic and confusing passing drivers and those crossing/joining traffic. We have both known folk killed and injured there. . .   Think we have all sped at some time though.   NB

29 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Seems to be lot more rural speeding and car runs in Suffolk lately, since lock down lifted FB. Sounds like you need more horses and carp to slow em down. Noticed more cam vans and hand held crews about to because it getting worse. Surprised to see cam van in Needham Market high street about 8oc Friday evening. Other vans and hand held crew out Friday evening week before same kinda time on A140 and A1120..Biker mate (advanced trainer) pulled over to point out to one copper how dangerous it was where he was parked and doing it. He was actually parked right on A1120/A140 staggered junction obstructing vision of drivers and stood /pacing about using hand held. Backing up traffic and confusing passing drivers and those crossing/joining traffic. We have both known folk killed and injured there. . .   Think we have all sped at some time though.   NB

The woman I spoke to in the call centre said the same thing. 

Ha, if only that worked! I used to spend a couple 3 nights a week in Needham about 10 years or so ago, never saw a van on the high street. They used to sit at the garage in barking though or on one of the drives if you were to come in from ringshall way.

Good job he stopped and pointed it out although not all officers like it pointed out when they are in the wrong.....

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree with that, but I don't speed in 30's, I never have done, despite how boring it gets if your driving from Needham to Hadleigh 😂

16 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

The woman I spoke to in the call centre said the same thing. 

Ha, if only that worked! I used to spend a couple 3 nights a week in Needham about 10 years or so ago, never saw a van on the high street. They used to sit at the garage in barking though or on one of the drives if you were to come in from ringshall way.

Good job he stopped and pointed it out although not all officers like it pointed out when they are in the wrong.....

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree with that, but I don't speed in 30's, I never have done, despite how boring it gets if your driving from Needham to Hadleigh 😂

Seen/heard big groups of !5+ ragging around hard with some seriously pimped/tuned motors.

cam van was parked up in pull in just near the station yard. They would have got a lot of folk not just the boy/girl racers. Never seen them anywhere that late in evening. Barking green must be a big money maker being so rural and open. The dullest 30mph about. Used to love that bit of road on a bike. Ringshall bends then cresting big dip into Gt Bricet bends.😉 All our roads are carp now. All horse boxes n Lycra louts. That's the thing with some speed limits, people get bored don't pay attention and fiddle with gadgets. . . . But hey! We used to be pulled or band from some pubs/places simply for wearing a leather jacket and riding a bike.

Copper with hand cam on junction needed more training or had death wish (he was ginger). Regardless off where he parked, He was walking backwards, camera up to face in heavy traffic when i/ we saw him. Was cringy knowing how dangerous that junction can be.  I thought cam had to be used on level ground/road anyway? Was pointing up steep hill.   NB

Now your making my blood boil. I am totally ashamed to say I was a police officer and a 'speed cop' motorcycle and patrol car. If we didn't have four or five tickets on the sergeants desk by breakfast time we had a serious telling off and could be demoted to walking the beat. Back in the sixties it was not difficult to attain but these days from what I see it would be at least 25 before breakfast.   It has all gone to doo doo as I predicted back in 1974 with accelerated promotion to uni graduates as |I have said before. Just watch them intervied by the pressthey can't give a response without reading it off a piece of paper and then the response is full of 'business speak'.   Pull up Polk County Sherrif on youtube and see how a town / county should be policed.

When you have had a beautiful 18yr old girl die on your shoulder and then have to go tell her parents, then tell me it is ok to break speed limits. She died because her boyfriend was exceed 30mph and hit a lamp post.

Edited by Walker570