Jump to content

Public with speed cameras


Recommended Posts

Speed is a killer. We have been fighting for 20 through the village and Council haven’t even got round to that outside our primary school despite their policy. On a recent survey it showed one in three cars were exceeding the current 30 outside the school. Anything that slows people down in our villages and urban areas as a start gets my vote, and that’s just a start!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 18:05, WalkedUp said:

Who said I was speeding? If you want to get judgemental and jump on your high horse showing heart wrenching examples to justify your opinion then jog on - doesn't make you a legend either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Easy remedy. Don’t speed. Be responsible. I got done badly once for it, wasn’t happy about it at all, but I was speeding. I don’t speed now, they will never get me again. That was 22 years ago. They won’t get me again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Seen/heard big groups of !5+ ragging around hard with some seriously pimped/tuned motors.

cam van was parked up in pull in just near the station yard. They would have got a lot of folk not just the boy/girl racers. Never seen them anywhere that late in evening. Barking green must be a big money maker being so rural and open. The dullest 30mph about. Used to love that bit of road on a bike. Ringshall bends then cresting big dip into Gt Bricet bends.😉 All our roads are carp now. All horse boxes n Lycra louts. That's the thing with some speed limits, people get bored don't pay attention and fiddle with gadgets. . . . But hey! We used to be pulled or band from some pubs/places simply for wearing a leather jacket and riding a bike.

Copper with hand cam on junction needed more training or had death wish (he was ginger). Regardless off where he parked, He was walking backwards, camera up to face in heavy traffic when i/ we saw him. Was cringy knowing how dangerous that junction can be.  I thought cam had to be used on level ground/road anyway? Was pointing up steep hill.   NB

That's another spot that's not ideal for distractions, always found that whole junction iffy coming out of the station.

I know what you mean, I thoroughly enjoy that bit of road in the car too haha. What bugs me if people crawl through the national speed limit, then speed all the way through the 30 and sit right up your backside. 

The bildeston to Hadleigh road is another good one. 

Right from when I was 16 and had my first bike I'd always had that mentality that there is a time and place for driving fast. 

It's certainly not round town or built up area's. Not sure what anyone is trying to prove by hammering round where there's kids and pedestrians.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

That's another spot that's not ideal for distractions, always found that whole junction iffy coming out of the station.

I know what you mean, I thoroughly enjoy that bit of road in the car too haha. What bugs me if people crawl through the national speed limit, then speed all the way through the 30 and sit right up your backside. 

The bildeston to Hadleigh road is another good one. 

Right from when I was 16 and had my first bike I'd always had that mentality that there is a time and place for driving fast. 

It's certainly not round town or built up area's. Not sure what anyone is trying to prove by hammering round where there's kids and pedestrians.

I suggest that maybe they are proving me right when said that average Joe Public are idiots  !    I see examples EVERY day and not just on the roads. Look at the number of local lock downs  ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Westley said:

I suggest that maybe they are proving me right when said that average Joe Public are idiots  !    I see examples EVERY day and not just on the roads. Look at the number of local lock downs  ?

Yep.

The same ones moaning about being in lockdown were the same ones out carrying on as usual in the weeks running up to it. 

My missus honestly thought the term common sense was meant to be ironic 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Who said I was speeding? If you want to get judgemental and jump on your high horse showing heart wrenching examples to justify your opinion then jog on - doesn't make you a legend either.

It is not my opinion, it is the law. 

Anyway, I am not looking to cause offence, I am just a father of three young children and consequently sensitive about road safety - particularly in residential areas. Everyone has at least one time sped, or still does speed in some situations. My horse is sadly no higher than any other in that regard, which is a weakness I’m certainly not proud of. I have only been run over by a reckless driver once myself, but I was big enough to survive relatively unscathed. My bike on the other hand was totalled.

I believe speeding is symptomatic of narcissism and arrogance. My blood boils when my own sister says things such as “Oh but I wouldn’t drive like that with my children in the car” ... what about other people’s children in their cars or even walking along the pavement?

Everyone on this forum must have at some point also carefully edged out of a field gate to be almost hit by a lunatic doing 60mph on a single track road with blind bends and high hedges. It is not breaking the speed limit but it is certainly reckless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

It is not my opinion, it is the law. 

Anyway, I am not looking to cause offence, I am just a father of three young children and consequently sensitive about road safety - particularly in residential areas. Everyone has at least one time sped, or still does speed in some situations. My horse is sadly no higher than any other in that regard, which is a weakness I’m certainly not proud of. I have only been run over by a reckless driver once myself, but I was big enough to survive relatively unscathed. My bike on the other hand was totalled.

I believe speeding is symptomatic of narcissism and arrogance. My blood boils when my own sister says things such as “Oh but I wouldn’t drive like that with my children in the car” ... what about other people’s children in their cars or even walking along the pavement?

Everyone on this forum must have at some point also carefully edged out of a field gate to be almost hit by a lunatic doing 60mph on a single track road with blind bends and high hedges. It is not breaking the speed limit but it is certainly reckless. 

Ah yes, BUT, you see there was nobody pulling out of a gate,  when they did the same thing yesterday   !      :whistling: 

I used to shoot on a field that was near to a hump back bridge over a canal, the recognized method of negotiating the bridge is ' Hand on horn, maintaining the same speed' and hope to hell there is nobody doing the same thing,  in the opposite direction.  All day all you could hear,  was car horns blaring out.          

Edited by Westley
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do believe back in the 50s 60s that the procedure was to sound the horn on a hump bridge, maybe even in the Highway Code. Even today it is but a very small minority of drivers who drive like idiots and with experience you learn to weight them up very quickly.  Both my wife and myself where Police Trained Advanced drivers and that training has saved our lives many times.  We still chime up in unison  ONE TO WATCH !!!!  and rarely wrong.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

a very small minority of drivers who drive like idiots

Similar to bikers, a few idiots give everyone a bad name. 

In the mornings I have noticed in my village that it is the women drivers who speed most excessively going into blind corners in a 30mph zone without footpaths despite pedestrians. The male drivers tend to speed up and slow down much more responsively. Reaching a higher maximum speed but in positions where they have a clear sight of the road, common and playground. The women seem oblivious of the dog walkers / nursery / playground / primary school / blind bends / hump / crossings / shop and tight historic street in our tiny village maintaining a constant 40mph (assume in 4the gear) even when it becomes national speed limit upon exiting the village. 

Edited by WalkedUp
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Drivers using their mobile phones are by far more likely to cause an accident than speeding, using a mobile when driving should carry the same penalty as drink driving.

 

Uping the point's literally did nothing to put people off using their phones at the wheel. 

No reason it shouldn't be an instant ban if you are caught on your phone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They use to fit over speed buzzers in Range Rovers in the Middle East. With all the electronic gizmos in cars now have a warning when exceededing the speed limit and make it a check on the MOT. My car speaks to me when I'm driving to Greece " Take aBreak, Take a Break" its not rocket science. As the sat nav tells you the speed limit on the dash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2020 at 20:42, blackbird said:

Drivers using their mobile phones are by far more likely to cause an accident than speeding, using a mobile when driving should carry the same penalty as drink driving.

 

Why don't u just ban radios smoking and talking to passengers too.

All are more likely to cause accidents.

Massive difference between drink driving

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...