Formula 1

Dick

Bottas needs a bit more bottle! He should have had Hamilton on lap 1, that would have made things interesting. As soon as the safety car's in, we can go racing and this is a rapid track with plenty of overtaking. 155mph average speed round here, all circuits should be like Silverstone!

I'm hoping for a surprise, but I think Hamilton's just too good on quick circuits. Still 45 or so laps to go though...

19 minutes ago, B725 said:

If its owt like the other races the last 20 laps was the only bit worth watching 

We're under another safety car after a massive crash for Kvyat. It's a really good race - when they're actually racing 17 laps done and I think we've been racing for about seven of those!

45 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Who'd buy Pirelli tyres?

And if they hadn't had 2 spells behind the safety car would it all have kicked off 10 laps before the end?

Yup! Hamilton got so lucky Verstappen went in for a pit to chase fastest lap. Had he not done so, Hamilton would have been toast. I feel a bit for Bottas though.

Pirelli were apparently going to bring a softer compound set next week...I'm not sure that's going to be happening now!

Haven't seen it yet, just got back from some real racing at a BRDC meeting at Brands Hatch. An excellent day. I would imagine Hamilton will win and there will be some drama of sorts. There has to be for people to watch it. As for black lives matter, how about yellow lives, Lewis? The Chinese own mercedes and sign your paycheques.

Well I might be out on my own here but I have followed F1 for more years than I want to remember and I still get excited at the prospect of having a fantastic race and today was no exception yes I did not switch on until 14-05 because I did not want to see all the blm carp but I really enjoyed the race I just want the likes of Louis Hamilton and Co to concentrate on driving as I think that he has not thought it through, no matter what people might think or say about him he is one of the greatest drivers ever results speak for themselves. 

Yes, I agree.

I’m not in the slightest bit racist, but do not agree with  everybody having to witness personal political points of view being pushed in opportunistic photo shoot opportunities. Every life matters.

Once the race started it was a great race and didn’t disappoint, a couple of “offs” and the safety cars mix it up, then the drama of tyres giving up and the urge for a quick single point for fastest lap had the whole family including the grandchildren shouting and screaming as Hamilton managed to hang on to another win. Who would have thought you could win at Silverstone with 3 wheels on your wagon!.

The safety car processions gave me opportunities to ply the family with lemonade, coffee, tea and packet after packet of shortbread biscuits. Good family entertainment. 

I’m glad F1 managed to salvage part of the season in this strange old year.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

Yes, I agree.

I’m not in the slightest bit racist, but do not agree with  everybody having to witness personal political points of view being pushed in opportunistic photo shoot opportunities. Every life matters.

Once the race started it was a great race and didn’t disappoint, a couple of “offs” and the safety cars mix it up, then the drama of tyres giving up and the urge for a quick single point for fastest lap had the whole family including the grandchildren shouting and screaming as Hamilton managed to hang on to another win. Who would have thought you could win at Silverstone with 3 wheels on your wagon!.

The safety car processions gave me opportunities to ply the family with lemonade, coffee, tea and packet after packet of shortbread biscuits. Good family entertainment. 

I’m glad F1 managed to salvage part of the season in this strange old year.

And we go again at Silverstone for the next one too! But what I love about this track in particular is it doesn't need crashes to be exciting. It's a racer's racetrack, with plenty of space for imaginative overtakes. All the way down the field there was excitement aplenty, although Grosjean's skating on thin ice. He must have been perilously close to being black flagged for those moves under braking. All adds to the drama though...

Hamilton was incredibly lucky to pull it off but he was always a lucky driver. I'm not so sure about the legality of continuing to race after that puncture but nobody is going to say anything about it now.

At the end of the day, as you say, its a spectators sport and it was a good race to watch

I still fancy one of those AMG63 GTs (pace car) 

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

And we go again at Silverstone for the next one too! But what I love about this track in particular is it doesn't need crashes to be exciting. It's a racer's racetrack, with plenty of space for imaginative overtakes. All the way down the field there was excitement aplenty, although Grosjean's skating on thin ice. He must have been perilously close to being black flagged for those moves under braking. All adds to the drama though...

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

Hamilton was incredibly lucky to pull it off but he was always a lucky driver. I'm not so sure about the legality of continuing to race after that puncture but nobody is going to say anything about it now.

At the end of the day, as you say, its a spectators sport and it was a good race to watch

They're great aren't they, always up at the front!

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Punctures aren't considered a dangerous failure, so they're allowed to limp back to the pits/end of the race in this case. Once the initial danger of it giving up has past, you're okay to limp back. Had it been something where there was an imminent/immediate risk to anyone, (fuel/oil leak, engine fire etc) then he'd have been ordered to find a safe place immediately.

Had he got the puncture at the end of the previous lap, but before the pit entry, I suspect he'd have been obliged to come in for a fresh tyre set. 

I really like the idea of two consecutive races at the same circuit at the first race the teams get it all sorted out or so they think then in the second race a week later along comes something usually the weather and all the settings and configuration is out the window great entertainment. 

4 minutes ago, The Heron said:

I really like the idea of two consecutive races at the same circuit at the first race the teams get it all sorted out or so they think then in the second race a week later along comes something usually the weather and all the settings and configuration is out the window great entertainment. 

Which is exactly what happened pre Covid 19, Free Practice is for setting up the cars for an individual tracks requirements.

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Punctures aren't considered a dangerous failure, so they're allowed to limp back to the pits/end of the race in this case. Once the initial danger of it giving up has past, you're okay to limp back. Had it been something where there was an imminent/immediate risk to anyone, (fuel/oil leak, engine fire etc) then he'd have been ordered to find a safe place immediately.

Had he got the puncture at the end of the previous lap, but before the pit entry, I suspect he'd have been obliged to come in for a fresh tyre set. 

What I was alluding to is the fact that he wasn't just limping back to the pits down the outside of the track,, he was still racing as fast as he could go and on the racing line.

When interviewed after the race said he nearly lost it on the last couple of bends.so he was still pushing it.  I'm not sure that falls within whats allowed or not but he pulled it off so winner takes all.

Also, I would like to add my voice to complaints of mixing politics and sport. The cause doesn't come into it  

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

What I was alluding to is the fact that he wasn't just limping back to the pits down the outside of the track,, he was still racing as fast as he could go and on the racing line.

When interviewed after the race said he nearly lost it on the last couple of bends.so he was still pushing it.  I'm not sure that falls within whats allowed or not but he pulled it off so winner takes all.

Also, I would like to add my voice to complaints of mixing politics and sport. The cause doesn't come into it  

Yeahhh, I take your point. I have a sneaky feeling that had it been a driver of less stature who was winning a GP that wasn't his home Grand Prix and not on one of the most popular on the calendar, things might have been a bit different!

14 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeahhh, I take your point. I have a sneaky feeling that had it been a driver of less stature who was winning a GP that wasn't his home Grand Prix and not on one of the most popular on the calendar, things might have been a bit different!

You mean like the three or four other drivers who suffered punctures, who drove nearly a full lap to get to the pits, and weren’t punished! The car wasn’t shedding rubber or body parts therefore was deemed not dangerous.