CZ452 2e Barrel chop

flyeruk

Just got myself the above rifle for a bit of rabbiting Its an older gun,very good condition,problem is,its as long as a broomstick with the mod on.

I'm mainly going to be shooting from a 4x4 and was wondering about having it shortened.

Any thoughts on this idea,and any idea on costs involved?

I had one chopped years ago, cost £50 I think including rethreading for moderator.

It shouldn’t affect accuracy if done correctly and won’t affect velocity. Was no need to reproof but interestingly, you can’t keep the off cut from the barrel.

Just get it done professionally and keep the minimum legal barrel length

I looked at getting my brno 22rf knocked down, i found a guy near Taunton (about a hour away), he was the only one I could find available, he wanted £175 because he'd have to send it for reproof. I argued it didn't need reproofing as I had no intention of selling, so he refused to do it, and I had no interest paying that anyway when I hear on here that it's usually around the £50 mark. Can buy another gun for that

1 hour ago, flyeruk said:

Thats what I was thinking.How short did you go?

It was a while back but think down to 14”

Think you can go down to 12” on a section 1 FAC but most, including myself, would recommend 12.5” minimum to keep yourself right. With a .22 most of the powder is burnt very quickly so long barrels aren’t necessary 

2 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

I had one chopped years ago, cost £50 I think including rethreading for moderator.

It shouldn’t affect accuracy if done correctly and won’t affect velocity. Was no need to reproof but interestingly, you can’t keep the off cut from the barrel.

Just get it done professionally and keep the minimum legal barrel length

No legal reason not to keep it = it's a piece of barrel blank & will remain a legal lump of inert tubing until someone adds a chamber to it.

Had my old BRNO Mod.2 chopped by someone working in a factory I was sent to by a job agency one Xmas when home from Uni.
Turns out he'd done his training as a REME Armourer - so he got the nod from the manager & the next day I brought in the stripped down Mod.2 & the P-H sound mod
He refused payment.
I think we settled on 16" or so - from memory we just made the rifle with the mod fitted about the same length as the original rifle, so it fitted into all the normal slips, etc.
Never had it reproofed as the Proof House had not made up that new rule back in those days

If you do not intend selling it I believe you don't need to proof it.  22RF works very well out of a 15-16 inch barrel. I had a Marlin which was also an awkward length and was about to have it chopped down when I saw the little Browning T Bolt I now own...perfect.  As with any work on the exit end of your barrel, the crown is the most important thing to get right.

Edited by Walker570

41 minutes ago, saddler said:

No legal reason not to keep it = it's a piece of barrel blank & will remain a legal lump of inert tubing until someone adds a chamber to it.

You would have thought so and it makes sense but I was advised that as it’s a pressure bearing part it is classed as a firearm on its own right. Possibly I was ill informed though but it came from what should be a reliable source 

1 hour ago, saddler said:

Technically thats both true and not true. You can buy, sell and own virgin barrel blank with no licence and no comebacks. However, some creepy bit of legislation to do with deacts says that anything that has ever been part of a firearm cannot cease to be covered by the firearms act until it has been signed off by the proof house.

Very muddy thinking

• 2 months later...