Suzuki gsx750f

keeper96

37 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

I do like the look of the Honda but being 6’ 3” and 23 stone I think I’ll swamp a cbr600

The Suzuki would be more suitable then, the perfect bike for you would be a Blackbird but insurance would be a problem if you are going to tour a big trail bike like a Africa twin or a BMW GS might be worth a look.

Edited by blackbird

My old man has an sv1000 and he's missus has the 650. 

He brought it a few years back as something more comfortable after having sports bikes since 17+.

He loves it, it will only do 120 or so miles on a tank but he went touring with a mate last summer and racked up 800+ miles on it and loved it.

The 750F is a decent bike for touring, lots of plastic though (depending on age)! They can be OK on insurance too.

Bandit 600s are a great first bike, can be had cheap, pretty bullet-proof and the insurance can be dirt cheap as insurers are cottoning on to naked vs faired. I've just sold my bandit for £700 and it was a decent runner. I've ridden stupidly fast bikes, but the bandit was comfy and I tended to enjoy the ride more than on a sports bike.

You'll want more power eventually, we all do, but that can come with experience and no-claims discount.

6 hours ago, sam triple said:

This what you need for touring 735miles in one day no problem ,,,!!!! 
what age are these bikes your looking at mid 90s?

A491EC3C-7454-4BA8-ACF9-49DED346AC8F.jpeg

I’ve been looking at the 98-2005 models but ideally 03 onwards 

I do like the look of the bandits but I just feel daft sitting on them with being a larger build haha 

Insurance will be high and its silly fast. I know you only go as fast as you want, in theory, but when youve got that much gee gees between you it's a different ball game. 

How much experience have you got before doing your direct access? Had dirt bikes or 125s?

Edited by strimmer_13

14 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

I’ve been looking at the 98-2005 models but ideally 03 onwards 

I do like the look of the bandits but I just feel daft sitting on them with being a larger build haha 

Difficult, good thing about bandits I’d that were produced until recently spares etc shouldn’t be a problem they also did a 1200 which will probably be better for the larger build , older bikes will probably come with a host of problems, soggy suspension, poor brakes , even poorer selection when it comes to tyres , buy the best you can afford , look on you tube for review vids or get on some forums and look at other makes too 

Haven't ridden for years but used to alot. 

I prefered the cbr1000 over the 6, and I had 3 or 4 6's, much easier to tour soaked up the miles. 

I had an old beemer R100 that did everything in style if not exactly setting the road alight, depends what your priorities will be.

The GS beemers are a very good shout though. A few of our IAM instructors had them and regularly took them out to the nurburgring. 

Talking about bikes - just picked up a 1997 Ducati ST2 from the bay of plenty for £1k - even more of a bargain when you consider that she's done less than 2.5k miles in her  23 years (old mot's prove mileage is genuine) - stunning condition, just wish I could get my leg over the blooming thing!

28 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Talking about bikes - just picked up a 1997 Ducati ST2 from the bay of plenty for £1k - even more of a bargain when you consider that she's done less than 2.5k miles in her  23 years (old mot's prove mileage is genuine) - stunning condition, just wish I could get my leg over the blooming thing!

😂😂 

58 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Wow, that seems an amazing price. They weren’t that popular but even so....possible future classic.

ps. I’m sorry you can’t get your leg over anymore.

Edited by SpringDon

Get a Harley!😉 If you can find a older low miler twin cam Dynaglide and they hold there price. Mine 2000 FXDX. good if you set them up right. A Harley that handles. No sniggering at the back.😛 Look at stunts/wheelies they do on them on YT. Stage one kit on most. If you can find one with stage 2 happy Daze! Loads of torque and quick Hardly notice 2 up. Loads of carrier/ rack/ luggage options.  Had mine 17yrs, it still make me smile and surprise a few folk. . . . . Loud Pipes Save Lives.      NB 

I had a GSX600F in the early 90s - worst bike I ever owned and sold it within 2 months at a large loss. As mentioned above the CBR600F is an excellent bike, but if too small then Tiger 800 or a GS. Can get early CBF1000 quite cheap now, reliable, good for touring but not much fun.