Test Cricket

The Heron

5 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

It's a bit quiet on the Cricket front, on here today🤔😀

P.S. I don't even follow the game, but it's always a shame to see a post with no replies😉🇮🇪

Do you get notifications when someone quotes you? I hope so, because you're going to get a few of them over the next few days for that comment!

Yeah tough old day and cricket not helping itself once again with absurd light rules! Glorious sun, still waiting to come out. Gets a bit dim? Roots not allowed to bowl his quicks. That's a bit dim! 

Babar Azam's a class act. He was great for us (Somerset) last season and it's good to see him back and in the runs - but hopefully not too many! If we can break this partnership, I think we can test the middle order; Pakistan's very top heavy.

45 minutes ago, The Heron said:

What a fantastic days play cannot wait for tomorrow. 

Yes was a good contest. I am umpiring tomorrow so won’t get to see any of the test match. Not sure about standing out in the baking sun for 7 hours!  

Moving day today. If we can somehow restrict the chase to 250, over two days, we have a chance. These sorts of chases are where Sibley's attributes are going to be so valuable. Time's not the issue, occupying the crease is. I can't think it's going to  be easy to start an innings on, so partnerships and runs at the top of the order are key

On 05/08/2020 at 14:51, SuperGoose75 said:

It's a bit quiet on the Cricket front, on here today🤔😀

P.S. I don't even follow the game, but it's always a shame to see a post with no replies😉🇮🇪

any thoughts, supergoose? or are you still hungover from Ireland's win the other night??

10 hours ago, AVB said:

I don’t think England will win. They will struggle against on the Pakistani spinners on a wearing pitch. 

Well that comment didn't age well did it? :D

Nicely done England!

On a side note I had 2 YT notifications for highlights of the match. Tried the first and it's not available in the UK. Tried the second and no problems. Only a 6 minute video though. Decided I'd have to make do with that and watched it.

Then had a thought and banged the first link into my Opera browser, with VPN. Opened up just fine so I can now watch 15 minutes of highlights. I'm somewhat baffled by the fact that as an Englishman I'm restricted to a 6 minute clip but anywhere else in the world 15 minutes?

3 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Well that was unexpected! Fair play to Woakes and Buttler for counter attacking so well! Brilliant stuff; and we go again on friday!

Yes I was clearly wrong but when they were 5 down I thought it was all over. I got snippets at drinks and tea. Spent all day umpiring and no. 2 son played in the boiling sun. Then spent the evening eating fish and chips and drinking beer outside of the pavilion as the weather cooled down. Ideal. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Yes I was clearly wrong but when they were 5 down I thought it was all over. I got snippets at drinks and tea. Spent all day umpiring and no. 2 son played in the boiling sun. Then spent the evening eating fish and chips and drinking beer outside of the pavilion as the weather cooled down. Ideal. 

Yup me too!

You spent the day well though; what a fantastic way to spend the Saturday. 

10 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yup me too!

You spent the day well though; what a fantastic way to spend the Saturday. 

And today both of us are playing!  Forecast to be as hot this afternoon as yesterday. I am pleased that my 16 year old has got his enthusiasm for the game back again. Gets him out of his room. And whilst I don’t contribute that much to team it also gets me out and (semi) active. 

5 hours ago, The Heron said:

The next test will be interesting in that have Pakistan worked out how to remove stokes when he has the bat? 

Now irrelevant and a bigger question for England: who comes in for England now Stokes is out for the series? Is this a chance to take the gloves from Buttler, but keep him in the side as a batter, bring Foakes in and keep Root at three? Or do they just bring in Sibley at three and Root goes to four?