Camping meals

Guest cookoff013

Guest cookoff013

i normally buy MRE or military rations or something cool. been doing that for years. used to buy them by the case.

but i cant afford that now, what are cheap and easy meals for camping, ?

preferably tins ?

stewed steak, potatoes, tomatoes... 

all day breakfast, anything else? 

4 meals a day?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The large tins of big soup. Tins of Aldi or lisle rice pudding. Ramen noodles along with other flavours and types.

Pasta pot meals

Porridge oats are great, soak in water overnight and heat on stove or by fire in morning.

You can buy large quantities of dry veg and soup mixes from the weigh shops.

Tins are heavy when you have a few.

Just looked at more prices, no wonder you don't buy them anymore. Jeez you could go to a pub for your meals at them prices.

Edited by figgy

Mres are expensive now, some are nearly £5 a pop, so I can see your point. Used to get them free at one time, but i still eat pot noodles and tinned beans. Might treat my self to some peanuts - essential for your dose of the ****s you'll no doubt get 😂

It all depends where your camping. If your on the move every night and packing up it's harder to keep the weight down

Guest cookoff013
30 minutes ago, figgy said:

The large tins of big soup. Tins of Aldi or lisle rice pudding. Ramen noodles along with other flavours and types.

Pasta pot meals

Porridge oats are great, soak in water overnight and heat on stove or by fire in morning.

You can buy large quantities of dry veg and soup mixes from the weigh shops.

Tins are heavy when you have a few.

Just looked at more prices, no wonder you don't buy them anymore. Jeez you could go to a pub for your meals at them prices.

I used to buy them by the case. I ribbed my friend about french rations with snails. In reality it was pork in cuscus and lasagne out of a tin. Great camping.

1 minute ago, oowee said:

In the past I used to take those vesta dried meals. Not sure they are still available.

We used to live on these when on DoE expeditions. Would like to think they’re still available as we’re doing the Scottish 500 next year, wild camping. 
I had no idea MRE were so expensive; had a mate who used to supply them. 

I was camping near the base of Snowdon a few years ago (Llyn Gwynant, brilliant place highly recommended https://gwynant.com/). There was a Lebanese family next to us. We were happy doing normal things - anything minced based is pretty easy, the odd basic curry and fish is nae bother - but this family had other ideas. The men went off with the kids to climb and the women (who were wives, mothers and grand mothers) spent the day making and then slow cooking the meal for everyone in the evening.

I have never smelled a more attractive campsite! the aromas drifted down the valley and everyone who came into the park sniffed the air and went weak at the knees from it. Later that evening out came this amazing lamb tagine, heavily spiced and must have tasted good enough to kill people for. Even my veggie friend was eyeing up a dish. 

Long and the short of it is if you're prepared enough in advance, anything can be done on a campsite! 

Those tinned soups or meals don’t have that many calories when I’ve looked at them. Some sort of trail mix, home made jerky and dried fruit would be my go to. 

Add in some chocolate bars and easily packed calorie dense foods. 

Id take the odd tin or camping meal as something hot to eat if you can, but I’d made sure it was fine to eat cold as well if needed. 

8 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Here is the climbers favourite Alpine Stew:-

You need  Oxtail soup

Corned beef

Freeze dried peas or indeed any peas.

Dried potatoes

Open soup can or make  up packet soup, heat in pan add chopped up corned beef, add peas heat well and serve with mash.

Blackpowder

Thats called splodge where i come from,

packet soup, 

add dried onions or mushrooms

thicken to porrige consistency with instant mash,

add tin of mince, meatballs, chicken or whatever,

add tin of mixed veg or baked beans

Edited by Vince Green