Devastating explosion in Beirut

Dave-G

7 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Would fertiliser go up like that without being further refined or processed. I know it’s extremely explosive in a powder form, as many substances are, but would it detonate in one massive explosion like that as it is? 

Yes it would, especially if there is fuel there too. Regularly used in bomb making by terrorists over the years.

Also a big problem with transporting it, quite a few trucks blow up in aus from it iirc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Would fertiliser go up like that without being further refined or processed. I know it’s extremely explosive in a powder form, as many substances are, but would it detonate in one massive explosion like that as it is? 

Ammonium Nitrate in this country was changed to reduce its capacity to high order when the PIRA were using it for truck bombs when mixed with Diesel.

ANFO needs a lot of force or shock to get it moving, almost a bomb within a bomb.

The fire at the fireworks factory would have been sufficient and wow what a shock wave!

Something similar to a small tactical nuclear shell.

78 dead being reported, although (I am sure that will rise as buildings are searched and cleared. VERY Sad.

How the warehouse was allowed to store such a quantity of Ammonium Nitrate for 6 years in the city centre is beyond belief.

I dispair.........

i see sky news have sent out the angel of death...the adrenerlin junky...Alex bloody Crawford ..to lebanon.........and she is wading thro a sunami of other peoples misfortune....smelling the heady aroma of death and distruction..and sucking upon the teat of other folks misfortune..........purley for her own gain...she can hardly contain herself with excitment..

Sky really need to think again about employing her........i am not anti women reporters by any stretch of the imajination..........in the past there have been some excellent ones ..that deliver factual reports....and report peoples loss with genuine sympathy

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And now the Conspiracy Theorists will have a field day!

A film maker has just said on BBC News that he realised that anywhere in the city could be hit with an airstrike!

Gordon Bennett, let these fools mouths run away from reality!

Come on, it's not just the beeb or sky, look at all the pseudo experts here opening their mouths and jumping in with both feet!

Fireworks fire next to several thousand tonnes of fertilizer, small explosion causes dust explosion/ignition of the rest of the fertilizer. Even trump is jumping on the bandwagon.

How awful for the people who are trying to deal with C19 and now have this to deal with. That's the story.

15 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

Wasn't there a similar explosion in East Asia earlier this year or last year? Similar woolly story, then all went quiet.

You mean the 2015 Tianjin disaster? Yeah similar sort of thing. A separate initial explosion (nitrocellulose) detonated ammonium nitrate also being stored in the same industrial estate. The company was operating with poor safety conditions on a licence that had expired. Nitrocellulose is a tricky little beggar. It can spontaneously explode if it gets too hot or dry, and this was stored in an overheated container. That exploded, which in turn blew the ammonium nitrate. 

Ammonium nitrate's widely used and very explosive. It's not that much of a surprise that every so often something goes wrong and things get blown up! The human race is full of idiots and some idiots are left in charge of things they shouldn't really be left in charge of. And it's not restricted to dodgy countries with poor safety standards. There are idiots all over the world. The state of Texas alone has had three similar accidents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_nitrate_disasters

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

You mean the 2015 Tianjin disaster? Yeah similar sort of thing.

I thought it was more recent, I must be having fun for that much time to fly!!

2 hours ago, henry d said:

What are you on about now? I'm not rejecting anything, evidence based or not. Just drawing parallels that there was a similar explosion (although I really thought it was more recent), the initial story was very vague and prone to changing. Then the media dropped it as it was boring

Edited by Demonic69

Ammonium Nitrate is a common agricultural fertiliser. It is not regarded as an explosive substance. Evidenced by the fact you will find it stacked in farmers barns up and down the country with no restrictions.

The IRA used it as a component in improvised car bombs by mixing it with It diesel  oil and packing it into gas cylinders. I believe the talaban did the same.

Very suspicious

48 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Ammonium Nitrate is a common agricultural fertiliser. It is not regarded as an explosive substance. Evidenced by the fact you will find it stacked in farmers barns up and down the country with no restrictions.

The IRA used it as a component in improvised car bombs by mixing it with It diesel  oil and packing it into gas cylinders. I believe the talaban did the same.

Very suspicious

There are a few restrictions Vince. The two major ones being farms can only store up to 150 tons, which should be stored in a secure well ventilated single story barn. If stored outside it must be stored securely and out of sight of public view.

9 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Tin hat on - is that some muck on the car window or a plane leaving the drop zone a few seconds into the video? 

https://www.facebook.com/190368281064086/videos/2795969267353535/UzpfSTE0MTc2ODE4Njk6MTAyMTkyMDQ0MzUxNjc4NTk/

The bit i saw (lots of stuff stuck to my screen) looked like what ever it is/was was between  the car and the blast, so wouldn't think there is much chance finding much of it!