Annealing machine

steve_b_wales

Im assuming for cases Steve ?
Do you not just fancy using a blowtorch ?

I can understand if you have 100s of cases to do , or you are reloading multiple times, but Ive reloaded my .223 cases some as much as 10 times, never split one yet, and the gun easily shoots 1/2 MOA.

3 hours ago, martinj said:

what do you want to anneal?

Brass cases, I should have said.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Im assuming for cases Steve ?
Do you not just fancy using a blowtorch ?

I can understand if you have 100s of cases to do , or you are reloading multiple times, but Ive reloaded my .223 cases some as much as 10 times, never split one yet, and the gun easily shoots 1/2 MOA.

Yes, as above. I've got possibly 3- 4 hundred cases in 243, 22 Hornet, 204 Ruger, which have been reloaded a few times but never annealed. There was a guy who made them, but I've forgotten who he is! 

2 hours ago, SPAS 15 said:

How about this.

https://caselife.co.uk

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind if all else fails.

4 hours ago, wyn said:

I use "tempilaq" to get the right timing on my homemade annealer.

I made it 2 years ago and used it for the first time last week.  It was around 10-15 minutes for 250 cases.

IMG_0618.JPG.d87358f2ccc44c448e87a04f9eb0b23a.JPG

Simply unreal. :good: I am in awe!

My solution would be to buy a bag of empties. :blush:

Lets keep it simple hey,  cut or bore a piece of pipe to your desired length just enough of the shoulder of the case sticking out of the top, the case should be a lose fit in the tube, so as to do several calibres.

A bolt is fitted at the bottom end of the tube, to attach to your battery drill, the case is spun with the drill whilst holding a propane torch on the shoulder of the case, get the required colour change in the case, just tip it out into cold water, job done, The rest of the case did not get annealed, Your tool you have just made should be dipped into cold water, say every three cases, That keeps the internal heat down inside the tool.

I do from large Martini Henry to other rifle cases, just by raising, or lowering the bolt to suite what part of the case needs annealing,  clearly your tool will have to be made of metal, not brass, Paul

001.JPG

002.JPG

6 hours ago, P08 said:

Lets keep it simple hey,  cut or bore a piece of pipe to your desired length just enough of the shoulder of the case sticking out of the top, the case should be a lose fit in the tube, so as to do several calibres.

A bolt is fitted at the bottom end of the tube, to attach to your battery drill, the case is spun with the drill whilst holding a propane torch on the shoulder of the case, get the required colour change in the case, just tip it out into cold water, job done, The rest of the case did not get annealed, Your tool you have just made should be dipped into cold water, say every three cases, That keeps the internal heat down inside the tool.

I do from large Martini Henry to other rifle cases, just by raising, or lowering the bolt to suite what part of the case needs annealing,  clearly your tool will have to be made of metal, not brass, Paul

001.JPG

002.JPG

:good:

Brass would conduct to much heat, and fast, The idea is to keep the temp down in the tool, That's why I duck the tool in cold water every three cases, I think if you used brass the heat would be so hot, it would anneal the whole case, Which is what we don't want.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 14:26, Walker570 said:

Well we used to do it by colour...... ask Ditchie, he's the expert on these things.

I found this clip which might be useful

We used to anneal brass ash trays at school to cherry red but they weren't subject to the same forces as ammo cases. (Yes kids - we were encouraged to make ash trays at school in '63)

Capturepp.JPG.d9dbc297b1a128b9b6ba3575e543277b.JPG

The video clip was good, certainly with the required colour change, I would anneal say 50 cases every couple of months, or use it to make Martini Brass, from 24 gauge shotgun brass, So I dont think the expenditure of the machine would suite my needs.