17HMR Alternative

PPP

I can’t go into the details as it’s a matter for the ammunition manufacturer and lawyers to resolve... HOWEVER ...

I am now looking for an alternative to 17HMR.. must be cheap enough to use on rabbits and for plinking ... must be flat and not heavy recoiling, oh yeah and ammunition must be available and reliable.

To sit in the gap between 22LR and 243 cf

Thanks

Just now, PPP said:

Thanks, isn’t wmr super loopy?

A lot loopier than HMR , and getting hold of ammo has become difficult of late.

The hornets are definitely worth thinking about , but have you considered .223 ?
Even if you dont reload, theres lots of cheap ammo options, if you do reload, well..the worlds your oyster.
Cost wise , cheap surplus or magtech can be acquired for not a lot more than HMR rounds ?

37 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

A lot loopier than HMR , and getting hold of ammo has become difficult of late.

The hornets are definitely worth thinking about , but have you considered .223 ?
Even if you dont reload, theres lots of cheap ammo options, if you do reload, well..the worlds your oyster.
Cost wise , cheap surplus or magtech can be acquired for not a lot more than HMR rounds ?

Thanks, I have a 223 slot on my licence already, could be a good call

The 22 Hornet and you can reload it.  If not look at the 17 Remington but that needs relaoding as well to make it viable.  I am mystified by the need to diverge from the HMR, I have no problem getting ammo and my CZ shoots minute of tree rat at 100yrds and demolishes magpies at the same distance no problem.

32 minutes ago, PPP said:

When one has nearly blown your face off it puts you off ....

****** that's a lucky escape. I always listen for a bullet strike and if I don't hear it the bolt comes out to check there's light at the end of the tunnel.

With no experience in reloading so discounting a few calibres, I personally like the 22 mag. Will drop foxes at 100mtr. Ammo is a pain to get admittedly. Drop isn't as bad as you fear, though it is there. 

I've played with a few hmrs and was thinking of going for a variation for one as down the range they are tack drivers, but i hear so many story's of dodgy ammo now I don't think I'll bother. 

45 minutes ago, PPP said:

When one has nearly blown your face off it puts you off ....

Explain ?????   As Dave G  says , get a Phhhhhhtttt and check the barrel. If you don't get a bullet strike.

Been shooting the 17 HMR since they became available. I think I had one of the first that Edgars sent out, Never a problem. Surgical machine.

Edited by Walker570

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Explain ?????   As Dave G  says , get a Phhhhhhtttt and check the barrel. If you don't get a bullet strike.

Been shooting the 17 HMR since they became available. I think I had one of the first that Edgars sent out, Never a problem. Surgical machine.

I wish I could say the same with my Weihrauch hmr. It may be accurate but i get lots of split cases, often split before use, with all sorts of different ammunition. Also lots of cases stuck in the chamber which can easily be followed with another round into the back as they are not so easy to spot, or sort out in the dark. I like the round and have just bought another 500 winchester to feed it but if there was something else comparable then it would be in the cabinet.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

****** that's a lucky escape. I always listen for a bullet strike and if I don't hear it the bolt comes out to check there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by PPP
Legal restrictions

10 minutes ago, PPP said:

There was a bullet strike almost touching the prior round, no signs anything was off, the round just exploded ...

284441FF-600C-48F6-BAA6-27194B2A4366.jpeg.463edc4b1c39f8ad15f5135b005a3a77.jpeg

Damn blast and set fire to it!! What did they load that round with? TNT??  Bet that rattled your back teeth.

Lucky escape

26 minutes ago, oowee said:

I wish I could say the same with my Weihrauch hmr. It may be accurate but i get lots of split cases, often split before use, with all sorts of different ammunition. Also lots of cases stuck in the chamber which can easily be followed with another round into the back as they are not so easy to spot, or sort out in the dark. I like the round and have just bought another 500 winchester to feed it but if there was something else comparable then it would be in the cabinet.

As per previous threads on this, I have never had a problem and have not seen any split cases either from the two CZs I have owned. I shoot Hornady ammo and have done as long as I can remember. I know the person I sold the first one to and he would certainly let me know of any problems. He just thinks it is the bees knees.  I am wondering if it is chamber size which causes split cases BUT you say you have seen splits in new cartridges before firing.

I’ve had split cases and witnessed a few blown apart . I was next to a lad trying to jam the next round in but it was a totally different noise when it went off. 
I think I’ve shot a thousand through mine and all been good .

ive been reloading for 3-4 years and it’s easy. I don’t know anyone wouldn’t try it 

Edited by team tractor

had this happen to me last year. got the hmr repaired for free and carried on using it with no further problem. i check every batch of 50 before i go out now just to make sure there are no split necks and have not had one. the rounds i used when it happened where old rounds which i did not check before going out and had around 30 split necks out of 50 before firing. keep the hmr mate it is a fantastic little round just check all your ammo before going out and if anything unusual happens take the bolt out and check your barrel. 

Been struggling with mine now for 5 or 6 years, i had one go off as i pulled the bolt back after a missfire, flared up in my face. Use to have the bullet get stuck in the throat on a missfire, and had to poke it out with the clening rod which i had to carry with me 

6 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Don't think he can keep it mate, its in a few parts looking at the state of it 

my stock broke into three parts, blew the magazine to bits and bent the trigger guard the barrel was not damaged. but had a good rfd who sorted it all out and got it repaired at no cost to myself.

5 hours ago, PPP said:

I can’t go into the details as it’s a matter for the ammunition manufacturer and lawyers to resolve... HOWEVER ...

I am now looking for an alternative to 17HMR.. must be cheap enough to use on rabbits and for plinking ... must be flat and not heavy recoiling, oh yeah and ammunition must be available and reliable.

Thanks

If it’s for rabbits & plinking a .22LR ideal round just got to do bit more fieldcraft than when using .17HMR.

5 hours ago, PPP said:

Thanks

You already own it by the sounds of it. Most ammunition problems have been rectified now. Very accurate round. Will cover all small vermin within SENSIBLE range including fox. Widely available. Relatively cheap. No hassle of reloading. Frangible round unlike the ricochet prone rimfire .22lr.

If you inspect cases first generally rules out most problems. But being aware of any squib round is essential in any calibre with experience. Had 2 in all the years of I had hmrs. Removed bolt and then using clean rod removed bullet. That was before I checked cases I will add

Great round in my opinion would not be without mine

I’ll never own a 17 HMR again wish I’d never sold my 22wmr for it.  
I've had a 17 rem that I quite liked 204 did really float my boat but I’d buy a 22 hornet and reload it, I’d love to find a break action single shot too as I think that would be fun.   

22 hornet is cheap to run easy to shoot doesn’t gut rabbits for fun and it’s quite.