17HMR Alternative

PPP

40 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I’ll never own a 17 HMR again wish I’d never sold my 22wmr for it.  
I've had a 17 rem that I quite liked 204 did really float my boat but I’d buy a 22 hornet and reload it, I’d love to find a break action single shot too as I think that would be fun.   

22 hornet is cheap to run easy to shoot doesn’t gut rabbits for fun and it’s quite. 

.22 Hornet doesn’t gut rabbits provided you head shoot every one.  I find chest shot rabbits are vaporised. I don’t shoot rabbits with my Hornet as I think it is far too powerful. At 200 yards it blows a rabbits head clean off. Makes a fine tool for body shot carrions and foxes.

edit to say that I cannot see why anyone continues to use .17HMR after all the reports of ammo troubles and guns being damaged. Just not worth the hassle/risk IMO.

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

I’ll never own a 17 HMR again wish I’d never sold my 22wmr for it.  
I've had a 17 rem that I quite liked 204 did really float my boat but I’d buy a 22 hornet and reload it, I’d love to find a break action single shot too as I think that would be fun.   

22 hornet is cheap to run easy to shoot doesn’t gut rabbits for fun and it’s quite. 

OK, not a break action, but see if you can find a Ruger No 1 which is what I use.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

.22 Hornet doesn’t gut rabbits provided you head shoot every one.  I find chest shot rabbits are vaporised. I don’t shoot rabbits with my Hornet as I think it is far too powerful. At 200 yards it blows a rabbits head clean off. Makes a fine tool for body shot carrions and foxes.

edit to say that I cannot see why anyone continues to use .17HMR after all the reports of ammo troubles and guns being damaged. Just not worth the hassle/risk IMO.

Rabits in the head at 200 yards? I can only dream.

Unless they invest in some Remingtons. Worth a try.

I have a 17 hmr and literally shot 1000s of rounds with it and never had a single issue. Then my mate had a week old 17 hmr x bolt and it blew the side out of it. 
I have a number of rifles and if I could only have one it would be my hmr I love it but each to their own. My tune might change if I have get the issue you probably have. 

4 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

I have a 17 hmr and literally shot 1000s of rounds with it and never had a single issue. Then my mate had a week old 17 hmr x bolt and it blew the side out of it. 
I have a number of rifles and if I could only have one it would be my hmr I love it but each to their own. My tune might change if I have get the issue you probably have. 

Never owned one. Wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole after all the reported incidents. I am too fond of my left hand and the side of my head!

On 08/08/2020 at 13:31, London Best said:

Ive had a 17hmr since 2006

I can count the times I've pulled the trigger and nothing has happened on 1 hand - never a stuck bullet or any other issues. Mostly CCI and Hornady rounds through it

I've owned a 22lr for 4 years... I've actually had almost as many instances of dud rounds with it, as I have the HMR

12 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

I can count the times I've pulled the trigger and nothing has happened on 1 hand - never a stuck bullet or any other issues. Mostly CCI and Hornady rounds through it

I've owned a 22lr for 4 years... I've actually had almost as many instances of dud rounds with it, as I have the HMR

Odd, isn’t it?  I’ve owned my .22LR since 1992 and only Eley subs give any trouble. Never had a Winchester subsonic fail to fire and the barrel likes them. Had .308 since 1989 and never even a misfire. Had my .22Hornet since 1995, never a misfire.  
Thousands of rounds through each. This is how it is supposed to be, not wondering if it is going to go off or not, or if a bullet is going to stick in the barrel. The very fact that other people are constantly reporting problems with .17HMR is enough to put me off one completely.

22 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Yep, same here.

53 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Yep, same here.

As I have said many times, had two CZs and never had a problem and alwys shoot Hornady ammo. When this discussion came up again, I had a look at a dozen or so cases before and after firing this week and perfect and deadly and as safe as a rifle round can be with far less chance of bullets bouncing around.  If I did not already have a 17HMR then a 17 Hornet would be my choice.  I do use a 22RF more often but only where total silence is required.

ALWAYS   ALWAYS  if you have a misfire, then walk away from the rifle for five minutes.  NEVER EVER open the bolt straight away.    Even then open the bolt with caution.

Edited by Walker570

• 3 weeks later...

Long time back when i think most had issues with HMR rounds , i had a hmr blow the mag out and cracked the stock slightly with hornady . All got sorted FOC by edgars . But i have never had an issue since , i have had no issues with hornady , but split cases even before fired and some after . Even though the culprit was a hornady i stick with them . 

But i do like the 22mag , i have a cz512 semi , and just got a variation for another , So i will be looking for a bolt action wmr . any suggestions , i have a 22lr and 17hmr weihrauch 60j , so i may make it a trio , but would be nice to have a change .. 

Edited by bongo321