Anyone know what bug this is?

VicW

46 minutes ago, JKD said:

Methinks it's a Puss Moth caterpillar 😉

Looks are to deter predators but to people called Vic it's harmless 😊

Yep looks just like and by the colour is about to pupate. They are fantastic being about 2 inches ong and bright green and when touched their heads expand with the bright red face.

Used to have hundreds when i first planted my poplar wood 20yrs ago.  They build an igloo out of spit and chewd up wood on the side of a tree which goes rock hard.  Then in the spring the moth will cut its way out with a special 'tool' on its abdomen.  I did rear some in captivity back then and put the piece of wood with the igloos on out in the garden, I did see one of them emerge.

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought the Puss Moth was green.

Yes they are but when about to pupate the colour darkens.

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep looks just like and by the colour is about to pupate. They are fantastic being about 2 inches ong and bright green and when touched their heads expand with the bright red face.

Used to have hundreds when i first planted my poplar wood 20yrs ago.  They build an igloo out of spit and chewd up wood on the side of a tree which goes rock hard.  Then in the spring the moth will cut its way out with a special 'tool' on its abdomen.  I did rear some in captivity back then and put the piece of wood with the igloos on out in the garden, I did see one of them emerge.

Yes they are but when about to pupate the colour darkens.

Don't think I've ever seen one TBH 🙁 seen lots of other "bugs" /caterpillars, but don't see the amount now that I saw even 20yrs ago,,,, big shame 😕

These sort of things I find really interesting because of the change/metamorphosis they go through,,,, dragon/damselflies are amazing !!!

When you see something as spectacular as the caterpillar you expect the same to emerge but in fact the puss moth is quite bland speckled white.  My wife had a summer music school meet at our home when the poplars where just about 8ft high and I challenged the kids to see how many caterpillars they could find. Thinking maybe a dozen, the winner had over 100. I had to quickly find some jam jars as they all wanted to take one home much to the disgust of their mothers. I insisted they studied them and when they made their igloo they put that piece of wood outside so the moth could escape.  We put poplar leaves in the jars and a piece of bark. I did the same and mine produced two igloos and both emerged.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

When you see something as spectacular as the caterpillar you expect the same to emerge but in fact the puss moth is quite bland speckled white.  My wife had a summer music school meet at our home when the poplars where just about 8ft high and I challenged the kids to see how many caterpillars they could find. Thinking maybe a dozen, the winner had over 100. I had to quickly find some jam jars as they all wanted to take one home much to the disgust of their mothers. I insisted they studied them and when they made their igloo they put that piece of wood outside so the moth could escape.  We put poplar leaves in the jars and a piece of bark. I did the same and mine produced two igloos and both emerged.

Great story Walker. 😉  👍     NB