Horse flies

mgsontour

Yep, not much you can do, they are evil and you don't feel them till the damage is done.  I have one section of my small wood where I always warn friends to be aware and I guarantee at least one will get bit before we get around that section of the wood.  It is the dampest area.  I had a friend bitten on the elbow and it swelled up so much he could not bend his arm.

If you pull them up on the web you will see they actually have two little 'saws' either side of the mouth which cut a slot to release the blood which is what they are looking for.. Just glad they don't grow as big as labradors.

Edited by Walker570

My GF used to put a tea tree cream product on her horse [now deceased] ,,,, used to keep most flying things away. She, the horse, used to let me splat the horse flies on her when they landed,,,, very tolerant "old nag",,,, sometimes 🤣

Biting flying things don't affect me that much, but horse fly bites do burn/sting slightly 😒

26 minutes ago, JDog said:

Horse flies love me, but I am well protected if I remember my Avon Skin So Soft.

Me too but I actually found Avon SSS made them like me even more than without. Jungle Formula is the only thing that works but it's horrible stuff. Melts plastic.