Senior moment

Centrepin

There was i set for a good day, sun was shining, nice stiff breeze.

Arrived on my perm, put up a few hundred corvids and a few pigeon.

Sat watching pigeon on flight lines for a while. As its a large perm, had a drive round and spent over an hour recceing other fields.

Decided to set up under a flight line, 360 degree hide on the edge of OSR stubble. Two rotarys out, 3 bouncers, 20 odd decoys, before I'd finished setting up, crows landing and pigeons coming in close.

Parked the car and took the gun out to walk back to my hide.

No ammuntion! I just couldn't believe my stupidity. I cursed, I almost cried. I always have just 4 cartridges on my belt in case I move from the hide at all. Wherever i go the gun goes. Scrabbled around my pockets and found another 7 cartridges. 

Literally a few minutes later started packing away. Dropped 5 picked 4, one went into the thick hedge. 2 cartridges left which I'd promised to look around the grain stores earlier. 

What an idiot 🙄 

Nowadays most of my pigeon shooting is within a few miles from my house and would only take a short while to pop back back home if I had forgot something , this time of the year I normally look one day and shoot the next , at the most I have two or three full boxes of cartridges in my bag , if I am lucky enough to get through those I know I have had a good afternoons sport and I leave it at that , always another day as I would now rather have two good afternoons rather than one full day , another perk of being retired :good:

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

Nowadays most of my pigeon shooting is within a few miles from my house and would only take a short while to pop back back home if I had forgot something , this time of the year I normally look one day and shoot the next , at the most I have two or three full boxes of cartridges in my bag , if I am lucky enough to get through those I know I have had a good afternoons sport and I leave it at that , always another day as I would now rather have two good afternoons rather than one full day , another perk of being retired :good:

Yup, same boat BUT I have also been in the same embarrasing position.  Had an American friend come over and took him out one morning for a muntie. Yep, you got it...forgot the ammo.

Loosened up the old Landie engine and scared the Yank witless,  back home and set forth again, only to find some idiot trespasser had walked the same route minutes before with a  crazy terrier racing all over.

Now how embarrasing can that be ????

Spend enough time shooting and fishing and no doubt you will have many such entries in your diaries.

Once set of to Cleethorpes knowing I was meeting with Jdog that weekend double checking that all my kit was in the pickup .. check all ready to go 40mins after setting of thought sugar ( hope the mods don’t take that as avoidance 😂😂😂) I had left my gun 

Edited by Jacko3275

52 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yup, same boat BUT I have also been in the same embarrasing position.  Had an American friend come over and took him out one morning for a muntie. Yep, you got it...forgot the ammo.

Loosened up the old Landie engine and scared the Yank witless,  back home and set forth again, only to find some idiot trespasser had walked the same route minutes before with a  crazy terrier racing all over.

Now how embarrasing can that be ????

Spend enough time shooting and fishing and no doubt you will have many such entries in your diaries.

I must admit it is worse when you have company who are relying on you getting it right .

For many years I was the dogs body on a shoot day looking after the guns , meeting them first thing in the morning , putting them out on the peg numbers and seeing to there needs throughout the day , you name it and no doubt it had happened , a few times on the night before the shoot I have had a call from the keeper asking if I could bring a spare gun in the morning as Mr so and so have just arrived at the hotel and forgot his gun , this I didn't mind as there would normally be a £20 note as a thank you when I went back to the hall to pick it up.

Then we had a fairly well off lady from London who came down on the Partridge shoots , she asked if I could stand with her to put her at ease and make sure she was safe when handling a gun around company  , having met her first thing on the morning of the shoot I put her gun that was in a case along with her other bits and pieces in the lorry , we arrived at the first drive and having put her on her peg number I said I would be back as soon as the others are in position , getting back I took her gun out of the case and it looked like a rusty drain pipe instead of a lovely little Beretta 20 bore over and under , after I just managed to open it the ejectors were stiff along with everything else that had moving parts on the gun , when I said , when did you last use the gun she said when she was here last season and it had been in the case ever since , after a few sqirts of WD 40 I kept on board along with a cleaning rod with a wire brush I soon had it working a lot better and she finished the day with one or two Partridges and a gun cleaner than when she brought it , and yes Walker you have guessed right I did get get another bit of folding money :lol:

Just last week I arrived on the perm with the usual car load of unnecessary 'stuff', set up and laid out the pattern and magnets, the wind was cold even though the sun was shining , I shot the first 2 hours in my t-shirt  but by 5 I was feeling a chill so looked around for my waistcoat and jacket, strange I'm sure I dropped them in the back of the hide but no, must still be in the car, wandered back into the wood where the motor was hidden in the trees, checked front and back seats, even on the floor but nothing, then it dawned on me, I had left them on the bed when I was getting ready, 

In the back of the car was an old army poncho I bought years ago for those wet beaters days , I dragged it out and pulled it over my head, it would do to keep the wind off but as the evening wore on I got colder and colder, I realised that I was getting way too cold and feeling very tired so I had to accept defeat, I stumbled around gathering up the gear, started the car and sat with the heaters on full blast for about 30 minutes before I felt well enough to drive home, I was still shivering and shaking when I stumbled into the house, but soon perked up after 2 nice hot cups of tea and a plate full of my wifes best stew, 

When I was a youngster I would sit all night fishing in all weathers, never felt ill, but things go downhill real quick once you pass 70, I'm beginning to realise, apart from the rubbish memory I need to be a lot more cautious about getting into those situations.