River Avon Fish

Jonty

Folks, my in laws have just moved to Tewksbury and have fishing rights on the Avon outside of their house in the area pictured.  Do any of you either know what type of fish there may be in the river? I’m an experienced small river trout fly fisherman but have no idea on bigger rivers such as this.  Even if it’s just for novelty factor I’d like to get a suitable rod and tackle to have a dabble so to speak.  At the moment my experience is limited to fly fishing for trout and some spinning for salmon.  Thanks in advance

11047BCF-C6D7-4601-B7FB-1749412C9FB4.png

Barbel rod, bait runner reel & a running ledger rig with either a lead on or cage feeder good ground bait mix or hemp mix & either a pellet , boilie or luncheon meat hair rigged should pull the barbel & chub out. If you can get near to that wier pool I would try there first where the water slacks off 

This is all great info folks, thank you.  Looks like I may be able to get away with my spinning set up for my first trip down and then look for some river kit on eBay or the like .  I know naff all about course fishing so it’ll be YouTube fishing lessons coming up.  Thank you guys 

Jonty,

Based on the fact that you are a game fisherman why not just take your salmon spinning rod down with you and spin / lure fish for the pike and zander.

If you look on the Birmingham Anglers Association website under River Avon you will see their last section is called Mythe Farm. That's  just above the top of you arial view picture on the right hand bank looking downstream. You can start there and just keep walking / roving until you find some fish. The river here is slow and deep.

The area below that weir / sluice gates outside The Boathouse and above Mythe Rd is called something like Stanyards Pit. I do not know who's water it is but I have seen people fishing when I have passed through the area.

I am not up to speed on the chub / dace or roach fishing but its probably better in the autumn / winter when the fish start shoaling up. 

The local tackle shop will probably be able to help you out.

The only one I am aware of is:

Bankside Tackle 

Unit 11, Highfield Business Park, Tewkesbury Road, Gloucester GL19 4BP

Rich

1 hour ago, Fishing Richie said:

Jonty,

Based on the fact that you are a game fisherman why not just take your salmon spinning rod down with you and spin / lure fish for the pike and zander.

If you look on the Birmingham Anglers Association website under River Avon you will see their last section is called Mythe Farm. That's  just above the top of you arial view picture on the right hand bank looking downstream. You can start there and just keep walking / roving until you find some fish. The river here is slow and deep.

The area below that weir / sluice gates outside The Boathouse and above Mythe Rd is called something like Stanyards Pit. I do not know who's water it is but I have seen people fishing when I have passed through the area.

I am not up to speed on the chub / dace or roach fishing but its probably better in the autumn / winter when the fish start shoaling up. 

The local tackle shop will probably be able to help you out.

The only one I am aware of is:

Bankside Tackle 

Unit 11, Highfield Business Park, Tewkesbury Road, Gloucester GL19 4BP

Rich

Spot on Rich, that was what I was thinking RE the spinning set up.  Thanks for the advice and local knowledge.  

From your OP Jonty do they only have the fishing rights in front of there property? Is it exclusive? If so, once you have sussed it out. Flow depths snags etc Get them to prebait regularly or before you visit. Cheap simple groundbait and particales. Make it easy on yourself and don't bait up to far out for float or feeder. Could make it something special if you can get fish to hold there. Bridges attract fish , , ,  Had silver bream that way in past.    NB