getting barrells bored out

misser

Hello, doing a Google on different prices between £30 to £60 each barrel, it may be cheaper to find a yeoman with open bores or look at cutting barrels, but that needs engineering experience, and you cannot sell after as would need reproofing 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hello, I had my Yeoman bored out in the 1980s from half/full to improved/ 3/4, made a better decoying gun, my first post reference cutting the barrel, you may only need say 1 inch off to reduce the choke, you need to measure the inside bore from muzzle and see how far inside barrel that would take enough choke out, the bead should screw out then re drill carefully and glue in bead, 

thanks for all the replies gents, much appreciated..it was basically for wigeon and teal on marsh splashes mostly in the dark so the longer ranges aren't really needed...i will have a look at vaughn landless as he seems to be the most local...if too expensive then might be the hacksaw treatment...thanks again gents much appreciated...atb...misser

On 08/08/2020 at 18:56, mudpatten said:

Should you take the rather dramatic step of hacksawing a few inches off the barrel to remove the choke, the gun would not require reproofing as has been suggested.

How long does the choke go back? 

What if you took off say 1” ? Would you only take off half the choke? 🤔

Might take my 1/2 and FULL choke SxS out to 1/4 and 1/2 ish 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

48 minutes ago, London Best said:

I proved to myself many years ago that you will shoot more stuff if you do.

Don’t be silly enough to try and do it by hacksaw, have it done properly.

I just recently bought an AYA 117. Very nice side lock ejector side by side. 

It’s choked improved cylinder (about skeet I believe, slightly more open than 1/4) and the second barrel is 3/8. 

The bloke I had it off measured it properly. With one of those cheap rough idea choke gauges it says it’s 1/4 and 1/4. 

The Spanish SxS is cheap and rough but tightly choked. The guns not worth getting it done properly, getting the barrels opened up costs more than the guns worth unless I can find someone local to Bristol who’ll do both barrels for about £30 as happened above. 

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I just recently bought an AYA 117. Very nice side lock ejector side by side. 

It’s choked improved cylinder (about skeet I believe, slightly more open than 1/4) and the second barrel is 3/8. 

The bloke I had it off measured it properly. With one of those cheap rough idea choke gauges it says it’s 1/4 and 1/4. 

The Spanish SxS is cheap and rough but tightly choked. The guns not worth getting it done properly, getting the barrels opened up costs more than the guns worth unless I can find someone local to Bristol who’ll do both barrels for about £30 as happened above. 

AYA 117 are very nice indeed!  
You have a perfect gun for British game shooting.

Improved cylinder choking roughly equates to what the Americans call sheet choke. I find it the most useful boring of all. My H&H is bored imp and 3/8 (.004 thou and .015 thou). The .015 thou barrel is the tightest choke in any of my guns.

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

AYA 117 are very nice indeed!  
You have a perfect gun for British game shooting.

Improved cylinder choking roughly equates to what the Americans call sheet choke. I find it the most useful boring of all. My H&H is bored imp and 3/8 (.004 thou and .015 thou). The .015 thou barrel is the tightest choke in any of my guns.

Yes I have shot some of my best ever birds with that nice skeet choke through several of my guns. 

I just use the Spanish SxS as a cheap rough gun for training the dog... although considering cutting some barrel off and having it as Cyl / Cyl then ... 

There was a thread I was reading on another forum I think it was, someone was insistent that you need full choke to be shooting anything 40 yards +!

Having given it ago on the clays and then on pigeons I'm more than convinced that imp with no7's are more than enough out to 40 yards. If I do my part.

Been looking at fixed choke O/U's for when I need a game gun, was going to go for a mk38 trap and have it opened to 1/2 and 3/4 but now I'm more tempted to have one opened out further.

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I have shot some of my best ever birds with that nice skeet choke through several of my guns. 

I just use the Spanish SxS as a cheap rough gun for training the dog... although considering cutting some barrel off and having it as Cyl / Cyl then ... 

I have a cheap Spanish box lock ejector bought new in 1974 to save wrecking an English gun on the marshes. It was half/full and I couldn’t hit much with it. I had all the choke taken out of the right barrel to a true cylinder and the left made quarter choke and the gun was transformed. The true cyl is beautiful and has even killed many geese, for which I used 4’s in the lead days.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I have a cheap Spanish box lock ejector bought new in 1974 to save wrecking an English gun on the marshes. It was half/full and I couldn’t hit much with it. I had all the choke taken out of the right barrel to a true cylinder and the left made quarter choke and the gun was transformed. The true cyl is beautiful and has even killed many geese, for which I used 4’s in the lead days.

Thing is I’ve shot some absolute crackers with the 1/2 and FULL choking but imagine more open chokes would be better. 

skeet and 1/2 would be good... it’s finding someone to do it that doesn’t want more than the gun is worth. 

I don't get the "more than the gun is worth" thing. If it's a repair to fix a problem to get the gun shooting again then yes I get it, but if you have a gun that you are used to shooting and fits well is it not better to just get your chokes eased? Considering on trade in you will get practically nothing for the gun anyway and still have to put money to it to get a gun with the chokes you want.....that's providing you can find such a gun.

My local place has quoted me £30 per barrel to do my yeoman if I decide I want it done, I questioned their method of doing it and they said said something about reaming it following the barrels taper rather than just reaming the chokes alone.

3 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I don't get the "more than the gun is worth" thing. If it's a repair to fix a problem to get the gun shooting again then yes I get it, but if you have a gun that you are used to shooting and fits well is it not better to just get your chokes eased? Considering on trade in you will get practically nothing for the gun anyway and still have to put money to it to get a gun with the chokes you want.....that's providing you can find such a gun.

My local place has quoted me £30 per barrel to do my yeoman if I decide I want it done, I questioned their method of doing it and they said said something about reaming it following the barrels taper rather than just reaming the chokes alone.

The guns probably worth less than £100. 

I spoke to someone they wanted £75 per barrel to open them up. 

I instead bought a nicer SxS with Imp Cly and 3/8 choke. 

Ive still got the rough gun as I use it for dog training and don’t mind chucking it on the floor etc if needed.

Would still be handy to open the chokes up on it if cheap enough but I’m not going to spend £150+ on a gun that’s probably worth less than £100.