Dogs & antihistamine?

mgsontour

FOLLOWING ON LADS ( from a post under general matters you might have seen ). . . . . I was telling someone about the horse flies and happened to mention ( I thought it was going to be antihistamine time for me and the dog ) only to be told the dog can only take certain ones; I thought dogs could have any? Does anyone on here know the correct answer? Cheers

I was told only Piriton or generic copies that contain chlorphenamine maleate 4mg.

I have a dog that needs these this time of year and our vet said to get this from the chemist. I buy it online now as its cheaper for me and the dog.

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/chlorphenamine-piriton-4mg-hayfever-and-skin-allergy-relief-tablets-4-pack?gclid=CjwKCAjw97P5BRBQEiwAGflV6Ts9s2mgIVzoSlUVgPqdoJCj6L-RbGkzmLu-Rz7uNHALtgMTh-_-GRoCKXEQAvD_BwE

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Mine gets 1\2 a 10mg loratadine if required as it is non drowsy, you can Google a search and number if vet sites (primarily in USA) give the dose of 5mg as being safe for medium dogs.

It is dosed at 0.25mg\kg (daily us) to 0.55mg\kg (prescriptive use), so up to  20kg dog is 5mg, over 40kg dog could take 10mg without any issues.

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I was told only Piriton or generic copies that contain chlorphenamine maleate 4mg.

I have a dog that needs these this time of year and our vet said to get this from the chemist. I buy it online now as its cheaper for me and the dog.

https://www.chemist-4-u.com/chlorphenamine-piriton-4mg-hayfever-and-skin-allergy-relief-tablets-4-pack?gclid=CjwKCAjw97P5BRBQEiwAGflV6Ts9s2mgIVzoSlUVgPqdoJCj6L-RbGkzmLu-Rz7uNHALtgMTh-_-GRoCKXEQAvD_BwE

You do realise this is a sedating histamine and therefore should only be given before bed?

Edited by Stonepark

11 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Mine gets 1\2 a 10mg loratadine if required as it is non drowsy, you can Google a search and number if vet sites (primarily in USA) give the dose of 5mg as being safe for medium dogs.

It is dosed at 0.25mg\kg (daily us) to 0.55mg\kg (prescriptive use), so up to  20kg dog is 5mg, over 40kg dog could take 10mg without any issues.

You do realise this is a sedating histamine and therefore should only be given before bed?

Not noticed  my setter getting sleepy.