Light switch help please.

harrycatcat1

We have a 3 switch in our downstairs hallway, one for the porch light, one for the downstairs hall light and one for the upstairs landing light.

A few nights ago the down stairs switch wouldn't turn on the landing light although the light worked using the upstairs switch. 

I have changed the down stairs switch thinking it was faulty but it's still the same. It works upstairs but not downstairs. 

I thought that I had wired it up right but if someone could point out my error I would much appreciate it. 

If it involves any type of meter checking it then I will get an electrician in.

Thanks 

The first picture is the old switch the second one is the new one.

20200807_124400.jpg

20200808_094734.jpg

New one

20200808_094734.jpg

12 minutes ago, miffy said:

The middle switch is wired incorrectly on the new switch. Red from top middle to the bottom where the yellow is then yellow and blue to the top 2

I will try that shortly, my head is banging with a migraine at the moment but I really appreciate you taking the time to comment 👍

Well just an update last night/this morning at 04.30 I was woken with the light flashing on and off like lightening,  so I turned the upstairs switch off and it stopped. When I came down this morning the switch downstairs works perfectly but the upstairs doesn't do anything now.

12 hours ago, Wiggum said:

Turn the new switch upside down and wire it exactly as it was wired originally, you’ve mixed the two way switching up on the middle switch with the switch on the right. 

Edited as I was talking rubbish

Edited by harrycatcat1
Numpty

12 hours ago, Wiggum said:

Turn the new switch upside down and wire it exactly as it was wired originally, you’ve mixed the two way switching up on the middle switch with the switch on the right. 

Do you know I reckon that you are right, looking at the old switch some of the screws to hold the wires have not been touched. 😉

I've just got to get them all back now.

44 minutes ago, amateur said:

Have you recovered from the migraine?

I had two Naproxen yesterday afternoon (supposed to only have 1) and it eased a lot by evening. I can't have Sumatripan (spelling) because it reverses the effects of my angina tablets and gives me a tight chest.

To answer your question I feel a thousand times better than yesterday morning, thanks 👍

Even better the lights are working that was winding me up. I hate electrics. 

Edited to say I only started with migraines when I stopped smoking 17 years ago.

Edited by harrycatcat1
Numpty

17 minutes ago, amateur said:

That's good.

To quote Hilaire Belloc

"Lord Finchley tried to mend the Electric Light
Himself. It struck him dead: And serve him right!
It is the business of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan."

😄😄😄👍👍

But not like tight wads like me when we have the fantastic people on Pigeon Watch.