Steel cartridges price hike

Guest cookoff013

Yeah, for that low cost alternative.

I remember steel shells went up in price because lead went up! 

They should have bottomed out the market with steel. £ is king

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

Steel or rather iron is more expensive to process into shot (it uses heaps more energy) and AFAIK all comes from outside the UK. There's none...steel shot...produced in UK. So I will expect that we'll but see its price rise again after the UK has left the EU.

We have left the EU, but are still trading as before, until the new year, let’s not upset those who voted leave 😂

1 minute ago, cookoff013 said:

I think czech export silly amounts of steel shot

Every country seams to be able to manufacture, steel shot, lead shot, propellant, cases, primers, wads, in silly amounts except good old U.K.

59 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

Did this go unnoticed, Gamebore steel have just shot up to nearly £300 a thousand for 32g 70mm cartridges! 

Usual we are getting ripped off! 

Somebody has to pay for their investment in new bio wads 😂

All steel has jumped £50ish a thousand this last month, it’s probably to make the bio wads look less expensive. Most of the 32g loads all use the same wads regardless of who manufactures the, surely that wad would not of gone up this amount.
I did notice that gamebore have changed the wads in the 32g load and are using a different way to slit it.

has lead jumped the same amount. 

Yes, it's a worrying trend, I remember some time ago when the price of Gamebore Black Gold 28g Steel loads went up from £180ish to over £200, I was told it was due to increases in the price of Lead, I couldn't get my head around that one..?

Eley seem to be pushing the price upwards with their new "Eco Wad" loads, their 28g load is currently selling at £339 on the (admittedly expensive) Just Cartridges website, with the 32g load selling at £369.

I presume they're hoping to capitalise on the forthcoming switch to 100% Steel loads, it's going to make Pigeon shooting a very expensive pastime for some.

I still hope to be able to buy Steel loads in France, the last few I bought there were around £165, however a lot depends on the value of the Pound against the Euro, and whether import tariffs will be levied against any goods bought in from the EU..?

I wouldn't bet against it.!

Cat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/08/2020 at 16:28, enfieldspares said:

Steel or rather iron is more expensive to process into shot (it uses heaps more energy) and AFAIK all comes from outside the UK. There's none...steel shot...produced in UK. So I will expect that we'll but see its price rise again after the UK has left the EU.

Can buy it cheap enough in 25 kg sacks shipped from USA.  Stuff the EU  ! Frankly the uk is the biggest  closest buyer of eu made  products . With thier deficiet the thing they fear most is us getting a better deal with the USA or better access to the east / China via Australia,  top tips for our next trade envoy seems to be the ex pm of Australia so don't sweat 

Soft iron should be very cheap, cartridge manufacturers are taking the wee wee once again.

We need cheap imports to bring the prices down.  Baikal steel and lead carts needed in huge quantities. I don't mind the flames and big booms, cheap and works is good enough for me.

Guest cookoff013
10 hours ago, Bowlander said:

Can buy it cheap enough in 25 kg sacks shipped from USA.  Stuff the EU  ! Frankly the uk is the biggest  closest buyer of eu made  products . With thier deficiet the thing they fear most is us getting a better deal with the USA or better access to the east / China via Australia,  top tips for our next trade envoy seems to be the ex pm of Australia so don't sweat 

you can have it shipped in from czech.

nb, it just means reloaders will have power again. 

if its jumping up that much !

8 hours ago, figgy said:

Soft iron should be very cheap, cartridge manufacturers are taking the wee wee once again.

I think it isn't per se the cost of soft iron but the cost of making the stuff into shot and then grading it. For certain there's a lot less energy consumed and used to make lead shot than iron shot (lead melts are what 600 degrees F) and I'd suppose if steel shot is graded (like lead is...through sieves) a lot less wear on those sieves). I'd like to see one of those "How It's Made" programmes on how soft iron shot is made.

Guest cookoff013
29 minutes ago, motty said:

Most steel shot comes from China. 

It certainly does. The guys in the states were not happy because there was a monopoly and control on the sale of leadshot for reloading. Some guys just used shot peening shot/grit. That got stopped and tighter controlled. 

Funny stuff though.

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I think it isn't per se the cost of soft iron but the cost of making the stuff into shot and then grading it. For certain there's a lot less energy consumed and used to make lead shot than iron shot (lead melts are what 600 degrees F) and I'd suppose if steel shot is graded (like lead is...through sieves) a lot less wear on those sieves). I'd like to see one of those "How It's Made" programmes on how soft iron shot is made.

Steel shot blast is cheap and comes in big bags. Much cheaper than lead shot to buy.

Sizing is done on punch plate or bars with differing gaps in. Seen a programme on making steel balls.

Edited by figgy